Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a campaign?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a campaign? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a campa... - 3/7/2021 6:06:03 PM   
VonWulfen

Hello all.
I am slowly getting to grips with the game while following Strategy Gaming Dojo's excellent tutorial videos.
There are 11 videos in the series, each around an hour long. I am currently on video 9, and learning about air units.
I am also using the excellent "Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE" created by Kull.
Both these resources are highly recommended and I would urge anyone new to the game to check them out.
But I digress;
Being an avid role player I always try to insert my role play character into every game I play, its just something I like to do :)
I noticed that WITPAE you can assign specific Captains/Commanders/Pilots to Ships, planes etc and can even follow individuals progress and see them in combat reports.
Is it possible using the editor to create and add a custom captain or pilot to the main campaign?
If so, I would very much appreciate any tips on how I would go about this :)
Cheers
Post #: 1
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 6:51:53 PM   
Ambassador

If you add the pilot or leader before you start the scenario, yes, you can.

Just make sure that the nationality, rank and type of leader match with where you want to place yourself.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 6:52:21 PM   
Platoonist

If you have the patience, you can edit the first and last name of every pilot or commander in the game that is available in the editor. They probably number in the thousands. Additionally, are many other pilot names that are generically generated. I guess the editor could only hold so many 'named' individuals. But, you have to do this before you start a game. You can't edit as you go.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 3/7/2021 6:57:37 PM >

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 7:40:36 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

If you add the pilot or leader before you start the scenario, yes, you can.

Just make sure that the nationality, rank and type of leader match with where you want to place yourself.

Many thanks, sir.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 7:43:49 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

If you have the patience, you can edit the first and last name of every pilot or commander in the game that is available in the editor. They probably number in the thousands. Additionally, are many other pilot names that are generically generated. I guess the editor could only hold so many 'named' individuals. But, you have to do this before you start a game. You can't edit as you go.

Most excellent, very much appreciated, sir.
As soon as I am done with the tutorials I shall dive into the editor and create a custom me :)

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 7:57:26 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: VonWulfen

As soon as I am done with the tutorials I shall dive into the editor and create a custom me :)

Make sure you get the custom 'you' fully trained in the appropriate skills and don't get shot down or sunk. A nice safe posting in Oahu near the Royal Hawaiian Hotel would be my first choice.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 8:18:02 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

quote:

Make sure you get the custom 'you' fully trained in the appropriate skills and don't get shot down or sunk. A nice safe posting in Oahu near the Royal Hawaiian Hotel would be my first choice.

I will not be tempted to create a HQ bound commander or pilot haha.
I will probably assignee myself to a DD in a Hunter TF. Or, a sub commander. I like the idea of a lone wolf, almost like an age of sail frigate on a cruise I suppose :)
Yes, I think a sub commander would suit me perfectly, my own version of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey in a sub, thought I doubt I shall be taking many prizes :)

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 8:19:40 PM   
Nami Koshino

quote:

But then, using the editor, you could just assign yourself a godly experience rating of 99 and forgo the training.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 8
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 8:33:33 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

quote:

But then, using the editor, you could just assign yourself a godly experience rating of 99 and forgo the training.

I very much like the idea of a well trained commander who has just arrived at his post. This way I could follow his progress and see how he develops, that is assuming the game tracks his experience and skills as they improve?

(in reply to Nami Koshino)
Post #: 9
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 8:34:55 PM   
Trugrit

quote:

Hello all.
I am slowly getting to grips with the game while following Strategy Gaming Dojo's excellent tutorial videos.
There are 11 videos in the series, each around an hour long. I am currently on video 9, and learning about air units.
I am also using the excellent "Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE" created by Kull.
Both these resources are highly recommended and I would urge anyone new to the game to check them out.
But I digress;
Being an avid role player I always try to insert my role play character into every game I play, its just something I like to do :)
I noticed that WITPAE you can assign specific Captains/Commanders/Pilots to Ships, planes etc and can even follow individuals progress and see them in combat reports.
Is it possible using the editor to create and add a custom captain or pilot to the main campaign?
Cheers

Yep, you can do it.

Back in 2014 I created a Hollywood scenario for Burma.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4074985

I added the characters I wanted and I even created custom art and music for it.
I found a very good Allied player and as I recall we had one hell of a fight.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 10
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 8:51:32 PM   
Nami Koshino

quote:

I very much like the idea of a well trained commander who has just arrived at his post. This way I could follow his progress and see how he develops, that is assuming the game tracks his experience and skills as they improve?

Yes, you do see pilot, ship and leader skills increase (and sometimes decrease depending on the circumstances) Pilot skills tend to jump the most, especially if that pilot has a very good day in the air downing enemy planes.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 11
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 8:57:11 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

quote:

Hello all.
But I digress;
Cheers

Yep, you can do it.

Back in 2014 I created a Hollywood scenario for Burma.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4074985

I added the characters I wanted and I even created custom art and music for it.
I found a very good Allied player and as I recall we had one hell of a fight.

Haha, that sounds a hoot :)
Will read with much interest.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 12
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 8:59:33 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

quote:

Yes, you do see pilot, ship and leader skills increase (and sometimes decrease depending on the circumstances) Pilot skills tend to jump the most, especially if that pilot has a very good day in the air downing enemy planes.

I am so glad this is the case, I think it will add a new dimension to an already engrossing game.

(in reply to Nami Koshino)
Post #: 13
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 9:06:03 PM   
Platoonist

There was a game once where I created a reserve pool of Marine pilots with over the top macho names. 'Butch' Deadlift became one of my top aces eventually.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 14
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 9:11:19 PM   
VonWulfen

I was just looking through the SS units already present in the Dec 8 full campaign start.
There seems to be quite a few different sub types.
It got me to thinking which class of sub would most suit my commander on a cruise idea.
Endurance and reliability would be my first consideration I think. He will be needing these in order to successfully be as independent as possible.
I know we will have new models trickling down the upgrade pipeline but of the starting sub classes, which one would be considered a prime candidate?

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 15
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 9:13:30 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

There was a game once where I created a reserve pool of Marine pilots with over the top macho names. 'Butch' Deadlift became one of my top aces eventually.

Some of those names are hilarious lol

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 16
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 9:27:19 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

I know we will have new models trickling down the upgrade pipeline but of the starting sub classes, which one would be considered a prime candidate?

My personal preference would be the Narwhal/Nautilus/Argonaut type. They are unique as there are only the three like them. Plus, those six inch cruiser type guns are a hoot if you should roll a surface action against a merchant ship. USN subs of all types can be frustrating at the start of a 1941 campaign. Lousy Mark 14 torpedoes on most of them, expect for the S-class which have a good working torpedo but are hobbled by short range and less torpedoes stowed aboard.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 17
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 9:33:07 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

quote:

My personal preference would be the Narwhal/Nautilus/Argonaut type. They are unique as there are only the three like them. Plus, those six inch cruiser type guns are a hoot if you should roll a surface action against a merchant ship. USN subs of all types can be frustrating at the start of a 1941 campaign. Lousy Mark 14 torpedoes on most of them, expect for the S-class which have a good working torpedo but are hobbled by short range and less torpedoes stowed aboard.

Many thanks for the info once again sir.
I shall dive into the game and take a look at the ones you suggest.
Out of curiosity, when new models arrive, is it possible to transfer a sub commander to the new sub type?

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 18
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 9:40:45 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

quote:

I will probably assignee myself to a DD in a Hunter TF. Or, a sub commander. I like the idea of a lone wolf, almost like an age of sail frigate on a cruise I suppose :)
Yes, I think a sub commander would suit me perfectly, my own version of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey in a sub, thought I doubt I shall be taking many prizes :)

A pilot may be killed by an unlucky accident, or in combat due to a bad luck streak. It’s much safer to be a leader. However, ship captains may get killed if their ship sinks.

A good spot to go would be to command the Boise. You can get much of the feel of POB’s series with a light cruiser, in the early campaign at least, and ambush Japanese convoys.

Alternatively, you might include several versions of yourself, at different ranks. Say, your first « you » is a LCDR or CDR, and commands an old DD in the Philippines, or even just a LT in charge of a PT boat (and squadron). And you include ulterior versions of « you » with a higher rank, moving up the ladders and commanding more imposing ships along the war (and giving you another chance in case of a sinking « kills » your alter-ego). Just make sure not to assign more than one of your versions at the same time.

ÉDIT: and now, I wonder if I shouldn’t head to the music room of the Governor’s House, for another circumnavigation... it’s been a long time.

< Message edited by Ambassador -- 3/7/2021 9:41:56 PM >

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 19
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 9:46:46 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A pilot may be killed by an unlucky accident, or in combat due to a bad luck streak. It’s much safer to be a leader. However, ship captains may get killed if their ship sinks.

A good spot to go would be to command the Boise. You can get much of the feel of POB’s series with a light cruiser, in the early campaign at least, and ambush Japanese convoys.

Alternatively, you might include several versions of yourself, at different ranks. Say, your first « you » is a LCDR or CDR, and commands an old DD in the Philippines, or even just a LT in charge of a PT boat (and squadron). And you include ulterior versions of « you » with a higher rank, moving up the ladders and commanding more imposing ships along the war (and giving you another chance in case of a sinking « kills » your alter-ego). Just make sure not to assign more than one of your versions at the same time.

ÉDIT: and now, I wonder if I shouldn’t head to the music room of the Governor’s House, for another circumnavigation... it’s been a long time.

Many thanks for this multiple me idea, I will most definitely think on it.
By the by, I will be calling on the port admiral, and paying my respects to Mrs Heart :)

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 20
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 9:50:01 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Many thanks for this multiple me idea, I will most definitely think on it.
By the by, I will be calling on the port admiral, and paying my respects to Mrs Heart :)

A most excellent notion, sir. But please beat the measure on time, and not half a beat ahead, otherwise it might irritate some people.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 21
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 9:57:40 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

Out of curiosity, when new models arrive, is it possible to transfer a sub commander to the new sub type?

Yes, you can put yourself into the reserve officer pool anytime when your patrol ends and wait for one of the newer Gato or Balao sub class types to arrive. Then, bump out the current commander of one of those and replace it with your man. The political point (PP) cost for that is relatively cheap. However, bear in mind that the Gato/Balao class aren't super-subs by any means. Just evolutionary improvements on the Tambor/Gar models that you mostly begin the war with.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 22
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/7/2021 10:28:50 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

quote:

I just noticed, both Narwhal and Nautilus have the MK14 torpedoes, whereas the Argonaut has the MK10.
There is also an Argonaut on a patrol just south of Midway Island on turn 0 of the 8th Dec full campaign.
I did notice that this particular sub has a different commander to the actual captain of the sub.
The captain is currently CDR Jones H. but listed as commander is a LCDR Pierce.
Quickly looking at the nearest subs they have the same name as commander and captain which makes sense.
Why does this particular sub have a different commander to the captain?
If I edit this to be my starting sub I can get straight into the action by retaliating against the Japanese fleet which I believe are still to the north of Pearl.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 23
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/8/2021 2:26:55 AM   
Kull

My uncle dropped mines East of Wakkanai and then took Tuna on patrol into the sea of Japan - in 1942, bad torpedoes and all. Ran into some nasty ASW NW of Niigata and ate 2 depth charge hits and more rattles than you'd get from a West Texas sidewinder and still made it out alive, albeit with 75 float and periodic "flooding". Nursed that boat back to Attu anyway. When command suggested that he could transfer out rather than risk the run back to Seattle, they got the ice cold Uncle Art stare. He took those boys home.

Yeah, role playing makes it more real.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 24
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/8/2021 7:05:21 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just noticed, both Narwhal and Nautilus have the MK14 torpedoes, whereas the Argonaut has the MK10.
There is also an Argonaut on a patrol just south of Midway Island on turn 0 of the 8th Dec full campaign.
I did notice that this particular sub has a different commander to the actual captain of the sub.
The captain is currently CDR Jones H. but listed as commander is a LCDR Pierce.
Quickly looking at the nearest subs they have the same name as commander and captain which makes sense.
Why does this particular sub have a different commander to the captain?
If I edit this to be my starting sub I can get straight into the action by retaliating against the Japanese fleet which I believe are still to the north of Pearl.

I think one of the developers said that they made an effort to match sub and skipper for any that had some degree of fame during the war, but didn't bother much with that for subs that did not have heroic deeds to tell.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 25
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/8/2021 4:28:20 PM   
Dan1977

You will notice that the developers used role playing characters also Many unique names can be found in the Editor, including several Grigsby's. I have modded a scenario to add pilots & leaders, both fictional & historical. I have also corrected spelling of my Grandfather's name. He is in two different leaders slots in the game. I have corrected the spelling of any other historical leader or pilot that I discovered errors in. I have modded actual historical Allied Aces by adding their first names in place of their initials. That way I can keep track of them better.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 26
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/8/2021 6:26:50 PM   
VonWulfen

I would like to come back to a previous question regarding sub commander & captain if I may.
Now having had more time to look at the subs in more detail I notice when you click on the icon of a sub on the map it initially brings up the TF card.
Below the TF main details you then have the units within the TF, which is just a single unit for subs, being essentially lone wolves.
Now take the Argonaut just South of Midway as an example.
On the main card the commander is CDR: LCDR Pierce.
If you then click on the sub within this TF it says: Captain CDR Jones.
Now if the TF comprised more than a single unit as I understand it the commander would be the flag unit and have multiple captains below him.
But with a sub, the only unit within its own TF why does it have a different commander and captain?

(in reply to Dan1977)
Post #: 27
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/8/2021 6:40:18 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

I would like to come back to a previous question regarding sub commander & captain if I may.
Now having had more time to look at the subs in more detail I notice when you click on the icon of a sub on the map it initially brings up the TF card.
Below the TF main details you then have the units within the TF, which is just a single unit for subs, being essentially lone wolves.
Now if the TF comprised more than a single unit as I understand it the commander would be the flag unit and have multiple captains below him.
But with a sub, the only unit within its own TF why does it have a different commander and captain?

Unless someone digs a Dev’s post, I doubt anyone would have the answer...

You’ll discover this game still has a certain number of features (not bugs, mind you). For example, as was discussed recently in two other threads, both Sprague admirals are included in the database as Ship-type leaders, but their rank (RADM in both cases) precludes them from being assigned to any ship (except Clifton, who starts as a PT-boat commander, but will be stuck in the limbo if you remove him). A couple of other USN admirals are in the same case.

Remember WitP-AE is a game, not everything works like IRL. Ship commander and TF commander are different variables, with different effects attached to the leader’s stats.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 28
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/8/2021 8:19:30 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

quote:

Unless someone digs a Dev’s post, I doubt anyone would have the answer...

You’ll discover this game still has a certain number of features (not bugs, mind you). For example, as was discussed recently in two other threads, both Sprague admirals are included in the database as Ship-type leaders, but their rank (RADM in both cases) precludes them from being assigned to any ship (except Clifton, who starts as a PT-boat commander, but will be stuck in the limbo if you remove him). A couple of other USN admirals are in the same case.

Remember WitP-AE is a game, not everything works like IRL. Ship commander and TF commander are different variables, with different effects attached to the leader’s stats.

Many thanks once again, sir.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 29
RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a c... - 3/9/2021 4:33:09 PM   
VonWulfen

I have now added myself myself to the database for the 8th Dec start.
I am starting off in Pearl Harbour in an unassigned Nautilus.
I then saved as 8th Dec test.
I can confirm that I am now in the game.
I just wanted to check if I have saved the edited game correctly before I spend anymore time adding orders per the spreadsheet.
When I load my scenario there is no mission briefing or images on the scenario intro screen, its just blank. But ingame everything appears to be working normally.
Is this normal for an edited scenario?
The process I followed was.
Open editor, load Dec 8th scenario, edited a captain of the sub I wanted to command, saved as Dec 8th full test.
cheers

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a campaign? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI