Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will there be a May 1941 scenario at some point?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Will there be a May 1941 scenario at some point? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will there be a May 1941 scenario at some point? - 3/5/2021 2:22:27 PM   
Ynglaur_slith

Are there any plans to create a full campaign that starts on May 15, 1941?
Post #: 1
RE: Will there be a May 1941 scenario at some point? - 3/5/2021 3:00:49 PM   
kahta

I am planning on taking this on once the game is released- assuming the hardcoded rules allow for it.

I am currently planning on a few different alternative history scenarios and trying to use the event system to allow the Axis player to better control some of what has historically been hardcoded in WITE1, such as production, technology, etc.

(in reply to Ynglaur_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Will there be a May 1941 scenario at some point? - 3/5/2021 3:22:32 PM   
Champagne

I can't speak for the company, because I'm just a regular customer. However, from my somewhat limited familiarity with the history of the campaign, I know that any start date of 15 May 1941 might give the Axis a DIS-advantage. I'm saying that a 15 May start date might actually benefit the Soviet side.

Here's why:

1) Spring Mud: Spring, 1941 was more rainy and muddy than usual. As such, any mechanized offensive beginning on 15 May 1941 would experience muddy conditions that will slow the advance and burn much more fuel, and probably ammo, because the Soviet infantry units would be moving to action points almost as fast as the German mechanized units.

2) German mobilization: It's a fact that, even on 22 June 1941, the German forces that attacked the Soviet Union were, just then, fully assembled and mobilized. However, a start date of 15 May would find the German mobilization and assembly for attack LESS than optimal. As such, the offensive would proceed with a less combat-ready force than the force assembled and mobilized on 22 June 1941.

3) Time for Soviet mobilization: Think what happens when a slower-developing Barbarossa opposes a Soviet mobilization that has more time to build defense lines at the Dnieper-Dvina River line and other defense lines further East towards Moscow and Leningrad. Would the German forces be better off compared to starting Barbarossa on 22 June? I am not sure. I think perhaps that the Soviets would have PREFERRED a 15 May start date, because they would have had more time to mobilize, once it became clear that Germany had launched an all-out attack. The Soviets would have had more time to mobilize because the 15 May Barbarossa would develop more slowly due to mud and due to incomplete German mobilization.

Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato

(in reply to Ynglaur_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Will there be a May 1941 scenario at some point? - 3/5/2021 5:01:40 PM   
ObeseMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Champagne

I can't speak for the company, because I'm just a regular customer. However, from my somewhat limited familiarity with the history of the campaign, I know that any start date of 15 May 1941 might give the Axis a DIS-advantage. I'm saying that a 15 May start date might actually benefit the Soviet side.

Here's why:

1) Spring Mud: Spring, 1941 was more rainy and muddy than usual. As such, any mechanized offensive beginning on 15 May 1941 would experience muddy conditions that will slow the advance and burn much more fuel, and probably ammo, because the Soviet infantry units would be moving to action points almost as fast as the German mechanized units.

2) German mobilization: It's a fact that, even on 22 June 1941, the German forces that attacked the Soviet Union were, just then, fully assembled and mobilized. However, a start date of 15 May would find the German mobilization and assembly for attack LESS than optimal. As such, the offensive would proceed with a less combat-ready force than the force assembled and mobilized on 22 June 1941.

3) Time for Soviet mobilization: Think what happens when a slower-developing Barbarossa opposes a Soviet mobilization that has more time to build defense lines at the Dnieper-Dvina River line and other defense lines further East towards Moscow and Leningrad. Would the German forces be better off compared to starting Barbarossa on 22 June? I am not sure. I think perhaps that the Soviets would have PREFERRED a 15 May start date, because they would have had more time to mobilize, once it became clear that Germany had launched an all-out attack. The Soviets would have had more time to mobilize because the 15 May Barbarossa would develop more slowly due to mud and due to incomplete German mobilization.

Intersting, though thats exactly why It'd be fun to do. Bit of a challenge, and I often don't play to win (partially because I am awful).

(in reply to Champagne)
Post #: 4
RE: Will there be a May 1941 scenario at some point? - 3/5/2021 5:16:25 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ObeseMonkey

Intersting, though thats exactly why It'd be fun to do. Bit of a challenge, and I often don't play to win (partially because I am awful).

Me too - have you considered scenario designing? Step 1 is editing the game so you can win. Step 2 is creating scenarios to challenge others.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to ObeseMonkey)
Post #: 5
RE: Will there be a May 1941 scenario at some point? - 3/8/2021 1:32:06 AM   
riflebrigade

Starting a scenario in May 1941 is a great option, especially if the scenario assumes other operations which delayed the Germany build up did not occur and they could implement Operation Barbarossa in May with the July 1941 forces being available.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 6
RE: Will there be a May 1941 scenario at some point? - 3/8/2021 1:44:59 AM   
CapAndGown

someone's two cents
Would an Earlier Date made a Difference?

another person's two cents
Did the Russian Winter beat the Germans?

< Message edited by CapAndGown -- 3/8/2021 1:55:34 AM >

(in reply to riflebrigade)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Will there be a May 1941 scenario at some point? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI