Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Noob questions, vol 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Noob questions, vol 3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Noob questions, vol 3 - 3/3/2021 2:43:05 PM   
maverick3320

1. Is there any way to set an in-game "alarm clock"? For example, my B-52s will be done re-arming in 20 hours. Any way I can get notified for that?

2. How to combine/re-name groups? I'm having difficulties combining two groups of surface ships. Is separating out individual ships for combination with a new group the only way? Basically I'm trying to re-configure the assets amongst two CAGs and a SAG.

3. When I do make a new group, even if the group is only surface ships, my air assets that are ordered to RTB try to land at the old group, not the group that actually has their home carrier. Is this a bug?

4. How can I change RTB behavior? Specifically, when ordered (or by going winchester/bingo) my air assets immediately start to climb in altitude, which can obviously get awkward around SAM sites. Any way to change this?

5. How can I get a laser designator to find a target? For example, I have a 20nm range Kedge missiles that can't seem to find coastal artillery from 1nm away.
Post #: 1
RE: Noob questions, vol 3 - 3/3/2021 3:11:23 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

ORIGINAL: maverick3320

1. Is there any way to set an in-game "alarm clock"? For example, my B-52s will be done re-arming in 20 hours. Any way I can get notified for that?

Whicker created a great 'Game Timer' script for a Special Action a while ago and several scenario designers routinely include it in scenarios

quote:

2. How to combine/re-name groups? I'm having difficulties combining two groups of surface ships. Is separating out individual ships for combination with a new group the only way? Basically I'm trying to re-configure the assets amongst two CAGs and a SAG.

The game won't allow you to combine groups but it is easy to add to a group. If a simple combine is all you're after, delete one group (the units will remain) select all including the one group remaining and hit 'g'. If you mixing and matching, just detach and re-attach

quote:

3. When I do make a new group, even if the group is only surface ships, my air assets that are ordered to RTB try to land at the old group, not the group that actually has their home carrier. Is this a bug?

Haven't seen that before

quote:

4. How can I change RTB behavior? Specifically, when ordered (or by going winchester/bingo) my air assets immediately start to climb in altitude, which can obviously get awkward around SAM sites. Any way to change this?

I wish there was - best not to RTB them until well clear of an enemy area. Fly them out instead then hit 'b' to RTB them

quote:

5. How can I get a laser designator to find a target? For example, I have a 20nm range Kedge missiles that can't seem to find coastal artillery from 1nm away.

Lots and lots of factors involved here, Wx, alt, concealment etc. Not sure

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to maverick3320)
Post #: 2
RE: Noob questions, vol 3 - 3/3/2021 4:53:31 PM   
p1t1o

Answering as if you are a true Noob, forgive if Im saying anything that is already obvious to you :)

1. As Gunner says, almost anything can be done in LUA with enough study. But if you want something simple you can create your own "alarm" using the event system to show a message at a set time.

3. RTBing is sensitive to the "Home Base" that a unit has assigned to it. When assigning air units to a group, make sure to go into the group and select the exact ship and add aircraft to it. If you add aircraft directly to the group (which is possible and done in exactly the same way, to the group) the aircraft are shared amongst the ships automatically. This can cause aircraft to have home bases that are unexpected and could be causing the behaviour you are seeing. In any event, try manually setting the correct homebases to the aircraft and see if it corrects. (And when assigning homebases, as before, specify the exact ship, not the group.)

5. Maybe this is the issue you are having, as I felt I had similar issues once: For a unit to self-lase a laser-guided weapon, you must first manually turn on the designator by opening the "Sensors" window for the individual unit (doesnt work on a group), turning on (or is it off? Anyway just play with the check boxes until you can activate the designator) manual EMCON and activating the designator. If there is some more automatic way of doing this I dont know it. You can "buddy lase" just by having an active designator within range on one of your units.

< Message edited by p1t1o -- 3/3/2021 4:56:08 PM >

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Noob questions, vol 3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI