Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New game vs. classic version

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> New game vs. classic version Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New game vs. classic version - 2/27/2021 10:01:41 AM   
Egge

I just came back after not playing much for, well years, and discovered this game. Now, I like WW1 games a lot and I'm certainly thinking about buying this one, but I already have the classic version. From what I can tell, these two games are very similar and, to be honest, I'm not sure if buying this one is actually worth it.

So, what exactly is new and exciting about this game?
Post #: 1
RE: New game vs. classic version - 2/27/2021 8:43:57 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Egge,

Welcome back

Here is a list of some of the changes from our classic version of the game:

Return To Hexes

Naval Mines Added

Mountain Corps Unit Added

Enhanced Decisions
Notes screen with more details
Minimize the decision screen to scan the game map prior to committing to a decision

Enhanced Fog of War
Shroud layer added which makes it possible at a glance to see exactly how far your own units can see

New Research Concepts
One thing we decided to do with the Research feature is to expand it beyond just enhancing unit Attack and Defense values, and increasing economic output. So we have introduced new research areas that represent improvements in command systems, unit training, military doctrine and logistics. These can for example increase unit morale, spotting ranges, command abilities and allow units to launch extra attacks.

Dynamic Movement
Dynamic Movement allows units that haven't used up all their Action Points to continue to move until they have done so, even if de-selected and re-selected again later. It applies to most unit types, and takes much of the pressure out of trying to plan your moves. Just click and play!
Air units can also now attack and then move a portion of their normal move distance. This can be especially useful when on the offensive, or alternatively when conducting a fighting retreat. Again, it provides more flexibility than in the past when air units could only either move, or attack.

Naval Cruise and other Naval Enhancements
Naval movement has been sped up the introduction of a new movement mode: Naval Cruise.
This enables naval units to travel double their normal movement distance for a strategic move. The penalty being that they lose 1 supply point when doing so, and cruising units cannot attack enemy vessels.
Players of our previous releases will be familiar with Subs having two modes, Hunt and Silent, and Subs can only Cruise when they are in Hunt mode.

Improved AI
The AI has been extensively overhauled, something we do for every release.

Improved Interface
Not only will the game return to hexes and include new and sharper NATO and 3D unit counters, the interface has been overhauled as well to provide a smoother and more intuitive game play experience while optimizing the amount of the game play area on the screen.

PBEM++ Multiplayer Server
The game now supports a Multiplayer server with a Challenge Lobby, as well as seamless in game sending/receiving of opponents turns. Opponents will also be notified by email when a challenge has been accepted and when it is their time to play the next turn.

Rule Changes
A number of rule changes and game engine enhancements as well as fixes have been made to again improve the overall game play experience.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

< Message edited by Hubert Cater -- 2/27/2021 8:48:16 PM >

(in reply to Egge)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> New game vs. classic version Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI