From: Dallas Texas
I must admit to having something of a love hate relationship to this game. I played the original Red Storm for a while, but something just didn’t sit right with me and put it aside. However, I recently purchased Germany Reforged and have played a couple scenarios to completion, or near completion. All this said, I have a few complaints, or maybe better said comments/questions. Others may have covered some of these points in other posts and if so I apologize for rehashing.
Also, I have not played via pbem/multiplayer, so some of what’s to follow might just be the AI “cheating.” If so, please let me know and that’s fine…
1. Infantry units are too vulnerable in towns and city terrain. The old adage if you can see it you can kill it on the modern battlefield argues against this point, but I’m not sure they would be all that hard to spot, even with their vehicles, in dense or urban terrain. They are very susceptible to artillery and direct fires; much more than I think is reasonable when stationary and with good cover and concealment. Infantry units either need to be harder to spot or harder to kill in terrain, especially in towns or rough. Probably both.
2. Recon units are also much too easy to kill. As they behave now, they are just smaller weaker versions of line units. They also need to be harder to spot or harder to kill or both. Further, once they are spotted, it seems they need to immediately (as fast as they can react) drop into screen mode and blend back into terrain (if possible) which would increase their hide level. In one scenario as WP I lost an entire battalion+ worth of recon units in the opening couple of phases. They just kept rolling along their order paths as they were destroyed. Could be poor planning on my part, but a change in how they behave once contact is made would be helpful I think. Changing stance once engaged, and trying to hide and reroute seems doable as a unit behavior.
3. Helos seem much too vulnerable to SAM and AAA fire at very long ranges. The limited off board air units also seem to have this issue. Helos would be flying low and should thus be harder to acquire and engage at a long distance, although some bad luck is fine in this regard. Same with air units.
4. Artillery seems too powerful. I know they are the king of battle and all, but hitting units that are stationary and in good cover seem a bit too powerful.
5. Line of sight seems a bit wonky at times. Units seem to fire through town and forest terrain. I am willing to concede that there might be gaps and foliage density may account for some anomalies, it seems to happen often.
6. The targeting of HQs is great, but seems a little overboard in effect and frequency. It should also be tied with orders given and received, right? If so, I am not sure it’s working that way.
Does anyone agree, will some of these points be address in the next installment?
Thanks, just had to vent some frustrations what I believe is ultimately a good game.