Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reference point suggestion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Reference point suggestion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reference point suggestion - 2/19/2021 9:47:26 PM   
p1t1o

Building a scenario, I realised I wanted to be able to assign a Reference Point to be stuck to a point X% of the distance between two things, such as between a fleet and an airbase. Ideally you could choose another reference point as one of the objects. Probably most often, one of the objects would be a fleet, due their slow movement and long persistence. Plus I havent thought of a use for it that doesnt involve a fleet.

For example:
One use of this could be for placing a CAP between your fleet and the enemy coast, as your fleet approaches or manouvers, your CAP stays between you and your chosen location, but never crosses past that chosen point.

It would also be useful in creating enemy missions which adapt in a more useful way to the position of a player fleet.

The ability for a reference point to be moved in relation to another reference point, the distance being proportional to the movement of a third (and potentially arbitrarily long chains of this), creates the possibility of much more dynamic mission behaviour, perhaps mostly applicable to the building of enemy AIs.

However I know this might be a highly specific need due to what I was trying to do in the scenario and perhaps only sounds good in my own head.

Anyone else think this might be useful? Either for playing scnarios or building an enemy?

< Message edited by p1t1o -- 2/19/2021 9:53:30 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Reference point suggestion - 2/21/2021 3:37:12 PM   
SeaQueen

This is the kind of thing that's really best done in LUA, IMO. If you need to do that kind of calculation, it's best to do in in the LUA terminal. There's formula for the distance between two coordinates on the globe called the Haversine Equation. If you know that, it's pretty straight forward to just pull the information you want from two placed reference points, find the point you want, and then solve for the approximate coordinates of the point on the line between them (especially if the distance isn't very large).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haversine_formula

(in reply to p1t1o)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Reference point suggestion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI