Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mountain troops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Mountain troops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mountain troops - 2/19/2021 6:21:06 PM   
elmo3

I tend to reroll planets until I get a low mountain percentage. I, and I suspect a lot of other people, would do less of that if we had the ability to research mountain troops with bonuses in hills and mountains.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Post #: 1
RE: Mountain troops - 2/19/2021 6:24:25 PM   
redrum68

Not sure I'd agree with that. The mountains are a bigger issue for logistics than for units. Even if you had mountain troops if you can't get your logistics over the mountains without spending a crazy amount of IP, then not sure it matters. Not saying mountain troops wouldn't be cool but you'd need to consider logistics as well.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 2
RE: Mountain troops - 2/19/2021 8:12:38 PM   
GuardsmanGary

I agree it would be nice to have terrain specialized units but while it's not a dedicated mountaineer unit there are two cards you can use in conjunction to effectively create one. The Antigrav Lifter artifact removes the terrain penalties for 5 sub-units, and the Mountaineer Team fate card gives +50% attack bonus in mountainous terrain to 10 sub-units.

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 3
RE: Mountain troops - 2/20/2021 12:35:59 AM   
jimwinsor

Mountaineer and other unit fate cards are too pricey at 4 Fate tho, should be reduced to 1, IMO. Unless I am wallowing in Fate points from a high admin Interior minister and Mission Impossibles, I tend to scrap these.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to GuardsmanGary)
Post #: 4
RE: Mountain troops - 2/20/2021 12:33:04 PM   
zgrssd

Primarily mountains and forrests are a hinderance for vehicles.
Infantry works just as well - if not leagues better - in hard terrain, where it can entrench like crazy.
I second what the others said: The big issue is actually logistics/movement/roadbuilding, not actuall combat.
Note that forrests provide additional protection against low flying aircraft, however mountains have no such modifier. So airforce will dominate even more then it already does.

The main part of equipping Marines, Mountaineers, Paratroopers and similar "special Forces" is actually giving them gear that is very easy to move and resupply.
i.e., they get pretty small artillery. And maybe a handfull light tanks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: GuardsmanGary

I agree it would be nice to have terrain specialized units but while it's not a dedicated mountaineer unit there are two cards you can use in conjunction to effectively create one. The Antigrav Lifter artifact removes the terrain penalties for 5 sub-units, and the Mountaineer Team fate card gives +50% attack bonus in mountainous terrain to 10 sub-units.

Maybe Vic could add some scrap stratagems with similar effects? Having a bit of ability to create stuff on-demand would be pretty usefull.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/20/2021 12:34:17 PM >

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 5
RE: Mountain troops - 2/23/2021 7:29:54 AM   
Sieppo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

Mountaineer and other unit fate cards are too pricey at 4 Fate tho, should be reduced to 1, IMO. Unless I am wallowing in Fate points from a high admin Interior minister and Mission Impossibles, I tend to scrap these.

Agree FAR too expensive. the other one is the desert one. Played the game since the start and never used them.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 6
RE: Mountain troops - 2/28/2021 1:56:34 PM   
BlueTemplar

I did for the Mountaineer Team, but I put them on a super-expensive regiment of Walkers.
But yeah, at 4 FP, and for a +50% only offensive bonus I really can't see myself attaching it to anything else.

I would have expected it to give a movement bonus as well ?

Another thing that would make it worth it would be for it to allow wheeled/tracked units to cross high mountains.

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 7
RE: Mountain troops - 2/28/2021 3:43:57 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar

I did for the Mountaineer Team, but I put them on a super-expensive regiment of Walkers.
But yeah, at 4 FP, and for a +50% only offensive bonus I really can't see myself attaching it to anything else.

With the +50% you have to consider something:
Infantry & Guns entrenched at 250 points.
A AT gun should ahve no issues killing the average walker. And the only other thing that can attack without penalty would be the airforce.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Mountain troops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI