Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Logged] Transporting Munitions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] Transporting Munitions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Logged] Transporting Munitions - 2/19/2021 4:01:06 PM   
jason oates

Given that some scenarios cover a great deal of terrain would it be possible in the future to be able to use transport assets to move munitions as the battle develops in different area. I know that you can re-assign an aircraft from one base to another with ease but this has limited value if there are no munitions for them.

< Message edited by Rory Noonan -- 2/23/2021 6:03:15 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Transporting Munitions - 2/19/2021 4:12:27 PM   
Randomizer

Why not just script the arrival of ammunition using Lua? Much easier than creating a whole new layer of in-game logistics when the function for adding munitions already exists.

-C

(in reply to jason oates)
Post #: 2
RE: Transporting Munitions - 2/19/2021 5:08:23 PM   
BDukes

On land you can group ammo trucks with the base you're trying to supply.

Would be great if there was native air option but lots of lua scripts for this I think.

Mike

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 3
RE: Transporting Munitions - 2/19/2021 5:58:07 PM   
KnightHawk75

Just a reminder, angster did much of the heavy lifting already via Lua for something like this.
Demeter - Automated Logistic System
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4843206

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 4
RE: Transporting Munitions - 2/23/2021 5:12:15 AM   
WSBot

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 5
RE: Transporting Munitions - 2/23/2021 8:39:52 AM   
p1t1o

I vote for adding cargo missions. We already have a rudimentary cargo system for landing ground units and a system for transferring ammo between units (UNREP), it does make some sense to expand the feature to transporting ammo by land/air.

Lua is great and powerful, but it IS hard, no two bones about it, and there are further advantages to doing it with a bespoke mission (realism, fun, completeness, more organic dynamic effects ie: intercept of cargo missions, flexibility of options ie: not limited to what the designer programmed in lua)

Im sure you can do all that with lua, but with lua, merely stopping a mission takes some in-depth learning, even with examples of other peoples code.

Ideally, the need for lua should be removed where reasonably possible, IMO. Changes that make already possible things much easier are good things.

< Message edited by p1t1o -- 2/23/2021 8:41:57 AM >

(in reply to WSBot)
Post #: 6
RE: Transporting Munitions - 2/23/2021 9:53:38 PM   
Rory Noonan

quote:

ORIGINAL: p1t1o
Ideally, the need for lua should be removed where reasonably possible, IMO. Changes that make already possible things much easier are good things.

I agree up to this point.

To put things in perspective; Command Lua was my introduction to programming back in 2016. I did not have any programming experience and also had relatively little interest in coding. Messing around with the Command Lua API is what lead me to a position where I play Command for a living.

I actually think that encouraging everyone to use Lua as a normal part of scenario design and editing has numerous benefits.

This idea that it is some arcane and unknowable secret is somewhat perpetuated by trying to hide Lua away from casual players. It's a really simple language, and doing simple things with it is--really simple.

(in reply to p1t1o)
Post #: 7
RE: Transporting Munitions - 2/24/2021 10:37:47 AM   
p1t1o

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rory Noonan

quote:

ORIGINAL: p1t1o

I agree up to this point.

To put things in perspective; Command Lua was my introduction to programming back in 2016. I did not have any programming experience and also had relatively little interest in coding. Messing around with the Command Lua API is what lead me to a position where I play Command for a living.

I actually think that encouraging everyone to use Lua as a normal part of scenario design and editing has numerous benefits.

This idea that it is some arcane and unknowable secret is somewhat perpetuated by trying to hide Lua away from casual players. It's a really simple language, and doing simple things with it is--really simple.

We do diverge there I think but fair enough - I personally dont love using lua, I do like the flexibility that lua adds - its certainly a much better sim for its presence and I have been using it extensively in my recent scenarios - but its not my favorite thing to use, difficulty is subjective and I dont find it particularly easy.

However, my opinions on lua aside, the cargo mission concept does feel like it fits in with the scope and UI alongside the other mission types, as well as how cargo utilities have been developed so far. In this case at least I think there is a good argument for adding it.

For me yes, it would remove some reliance on lua, but it would also enable and inspire me in other ways beyond that I think - Im writing a scenario at the moment for which I can see a few uses for cargo missions of certain types.

< Message edited by p1t1o -- 2/24/2021 10:40:54 AM >

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] Transporting Munitions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI