Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

THE weather

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> THE weather Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
THE weather - 2/18/2021 11:08:54 PM   
MrsWargamer

Entirely non-political here.

The US is being hammered, brutally so, by mother nature, right now.

I'm hoping you all are ok, and a lot might not even be able to read this until power is back.

It's rare (I don't recall seeing it much), where the entire country, or close to it, is being smack around by the same weather event.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Post #: 1
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 1:30:08 AM   
LarryP

I'm in the capital of Nevada and it's mild and almost warm. Winter has almost not been winter, high desert is that way a lot. A weather thread should get a lot of replies. So...

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 2
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 2:08:32 AM   
Delaware

I’m in Miami. It was 85 today.. Wish y’all could enjoy it

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 3
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 2:23:34 AM   
DeepBlack

I am reminded of Russian soldiers whom,
after winning the battle of Stalingrad,
would gather the bodies of defeated foes
frozen stiff from the brutal winter cold.

They would artfully pose these bodies into static
displays. A wrestling match here, a foot race
there, a circle of singing carolers.

This stagecraft was not much different than
playing with Barbie Dolls, other than the
ghoulish aspect of using cadavers as playthings.

Anyway, my point is when things are bad,
there is usually a way to imagine things
being far far worse and thereby feel buoyed
that events have not reached that nadir.

I like the way the lines run up the backs of her stockings. I've always liked
those kinds of high heels too. No,no,no, don't
take them off. Leave them on!

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 4
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 3:24:54 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I'm hoping you all are ok, and a lot might not even be able to read this until power is back.

It's rare (I don't recall seeing it much), where the entire country, or close to it, is being smack around by the same weather event.

Not all of Texas is suffering. The parts that joined the national power grid are doing quite well. Unfortunately the majority of Texas is not part of the national power grid. I can't even begin to imagine why.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Wearing blinders and earplugs everything you do is correct.

Post #: 5
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 3:29:22 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Delaware

I’m in Miami. It was 85 today.. Wish y’all could enjoy it

Tampa Bay kicking Kansas City's arse warmed me up quite well thank you.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Wearing blinders and earplugs everything you do is correct.

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 6
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 7:13:57 AM   
Pvt_Grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

Not all of Texas is suffering. The parts that joined the national power grid are doing quite well. Unfortunately the majority of Texas is not part of the national power grid. I can't even begin to imagine why.

Good point. If you are connected to a larger grid it provides a lot of stability and redundancy. There will be generators / wind farms / solar nearby that could supply the loads. (Speaking as the husband of an electrical engineer who knows stuff)

I did read about why most of Texas is stand-alone. It goes back to the 1930's and fear of federal control apparently.
You can Google it, I find this stuff interesting, but I'm a "bit" of a nerd.....

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 7
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 8:46:29 AM   
Zovs

I have up to 3 feet of snow in places (granted from me blowing snow), but we have at least 18 inches with more snow to come up through Sunday. It’s warmed up to 12 degrees.

War in the East 1 & 2 - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
Valor & Victory Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario & campaign creator

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 8
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 8:47:06 AM   
Grognerd_INC

Yes, it was 85 in Melbourne too.

Formerly Grognerd, currently Doc Savage

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 9
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 12:13:23 PM   
MrsWargamer

What is weird (I call it weird), I live in Canada (the so-called Great White North), but because of the lay of the land (Lake Simcoe influences weather dynamics), the weather here in my town is uniquely dissimilar to anything 30 miles from here in any direction.

It is snowing today, it snowed yesterday, it has been chilly recently as well. But it is best described as 'half-hearted' and not overly impressive. It would take only one day of warming to kick the teeth out of the accumulation. It sure isn't Alberta cold here or Maritimes snow levels. Buffalo isn't much of a drive south, and if I wanted to go skiing, I'd take my skis there if I wanted to enjoy the experience. But the Appalachians are great at generating snow. It's all about the geography.

What is paradoxical, is the frozen portions today, likely will be experiencing brutal heat this summer. And then pounded by hurricanes. If I could live anywhere in the US, it would not be Texas because of the climate. I might consider northern WI MI or NY state. Based entirely on geography. And probably as usual, I'd refuse to live in a city. I don't really know these states though, aside from looking at a map on Google, I'm just guessing.

(in reply to Grognerd_INC)
Post #: 10
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 12:57:00 PM   
Grognerd_INC

Before I retired the wife and I looked around at where would be a great place to retire. We lived in central CA, we took trips to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona , Nevada and Florida.

We choose FL over the others. I did factor in global warming increasing the hurricane strength and at every other location for major changes to climate. We looked at:

The local economy - I had 10 years to go b4 retirement. needed to find work. FL scored highest and TX second (My field is Aerospace engineering)

Existing climate and possible scenarios for the future

Medical facilities and costs (Aging is a bummer)

Housing market - How easy is it to sell a house or do we rent

Cost of insurance, food, utilities etc.

Fun factor - self explanatory

Florida won - What do I regret? Not much, I underestimated the increasing strength of hurricanes, we have had a couple of 5's miss our area (total devastation if you get caught in the eyewall). We have gone through 5 cat 3 hurricanes. We survived. We are used to the 90's and humidity of the summer 3 1/2 months. The rest of the year is pretty nice. It's much cheaper to live here than CA.

Post #: 11
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 1:21:48 PM   
ThomasJay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

Before I retired the wife and I looked around at where would be a great place to retire. We lived in central CA, we took trips to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona , Nevada and Florida.

We choose FL over the others. I did factor in global warming increasing the hurricane strength and at every other location for major changes to climate. We looked at:

The local economy - I had 10 years to go b4 retirement. needed to find work. FL scored highest and TX second (My field is Aerospace engineering)

Florida won - What do I regret? Not much, I underestimated the increasing strength of hurricanes, we have had a couple of 5's miss our area (total devastation if you get caught in the eyewall). We have gone through 5 cat 3 hurricanes. We survived. We are used to the 90's and humidity of the summer 3 1/2 months. The rest of the year is pretty nice. It's much cheaper to live here than CA.

We made the same decision based on the same factors, other than the economic factor was for my daughter, moving to an area with a big arts scene. 71 and sunny here today with a nice breeze off the bay, and its way cheaper than the NYC area as well.

Post #: 12
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 2:13:17 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

I have up to 3 feet of snow in places (granted from me blowing snow), but we have at least 18 inches with more snow to come up through Sunday. It’s warmed up to 12 degrees.

That sounds like FUN! But I know of places where they get even more snow than that!

Be on the second sled behind a snowmobile on a frozen lake when the driver of the snowmobile decides to play "crack the whip" and you go fast - sideways! That would be real fun!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 13
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 2:21:27 PM   
MrsWargamer

For all that seems to make CA a destination (to some), I'd be avoiding it mainly for the cost. I think water is going to be a problem sooner than later.

I hear Portland Oregon is so awesome. And yet the news seems to make one scratch their head. All my romance novels seem to be focused on the Seattle environs. But I don't care much for trends. And it just seems to be massively expensive. If you haven't got work that makes you very valuable. I know too many that are finding living there too hard regardless of the social angles.

It takes more than politics or job options to interest me. But I'm used to living in a small town (all of my life basically). I'm used to small-town dynamics.

I'd rather live in the small town Maritimes and make it happen with low-cost value property and a need to create work out of thin air than pretend that Toronto was ever going to be doable for me. Way too expensive even if it is where the work is. But the climate can be more aggressive.

My life has rendered me unresponsive to a lot of normally perceived perks.
Actually, truth be told, if I had the money to build it, I'd be living in a tiny home towed by a decent truck. And I wouldn't have to pick any place in particular.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 14
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 5:18:10 PM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

That sounds like FUN! But I know of places where they get even more snow than that!

Be on the second sled behind a snowmobile on a frozen lake when the driver of the snowmobile decides to play "crack the whip" and you go fast - sideways! That would be real fun!

It is fun in a way, I do have a $1,500 snow blower, and I help the old ladies around here and do their driveways and sidewalks. But it does get tiring. But it's cool to watch the snow flying out and into the road...

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 15
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 5:48:45 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

It is fun in a way, I do have a $1,500 snow blower, and I help the old ladies around here and do their driveways and sidewalks. But it does get tiring. But it's cool to watch the snow flying out and into the road...

Yes, a good snowblower is worth every penny. They are also good for blowing snow up against the basement of a house, banking the house as it were and helping to keep it warmer. Just don't cover up any gas meters with the relief valve nor any intake and exhaust pipes.

They are also useful to make a larger snowpile with a relative nice slide area for little children to safely slide where they will not end up on a public roadway.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 16
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 6:59:46 PM   
Zovs

Good points all.

Did not realize the 'banking up of a basement' to keep it warmer.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 17
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 7:03:46 PM   
RangerJoe

You lose less heat that way, the snow is a good insulator. It really works good if you have a wood stove in the basement. As the snow melts away from the building, you may have to redo it.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 18
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 7:20:01 PM   
Challerain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

When we were looking to move out of Maryland we also looked at Texas and Florida (my company has a big presence in both), deciding on Texas. It does get hot in the summer, but relatively low humidity unless you are by the coast. Texas is a big state; only a small percent will ever be affected by a Hurricane. This freeze was unprecedented and hopefully lessons will be learned.

Post #: 19
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 7:22:51 PM   
Grognerd_INC

Well I do miss the western deserts, western Texas would have done nicely - And they even have In & Out burgers!

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 20
RE: THE weather - 2/19/2021 11:58:55 PM   
James Taylor

The coastal bend of Texas totally sucks! Boiling hot Summers, frigid winters, no Spring or Fall. There is tremendous pollution, can't grow anything and bovine flatulence is an enormous problem.

There are no jobs, traffic is congestive and the school system rates the lowest in the World.

You can visit, but don't(I warn you)stay!

Ohhh, I almost forgot, from Celia to Harvey the unbelievable destructive power of hurricanes that hit the area. And after that the total incompetence of the contractors to rebuild. Truly Hell on Earth!

< Message edited by James Taylor -- 2/20/2021 12:10:01 AM >

SeaMonkey

Post #: 21
RE: THE weather - 2/20/2021 12:08:15 AM   
Zap

Vegas, mild winter.

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 22
RE: THE weather - 2/20/2021 12:43:27 AM   
RangerJoe

Bogota, Columbia . . .
Year round high of 75 degrees F, year round low of 55 degrees F . . .

Central air that works, any temperature that you want as long as you can afford it.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 23
RE: THE weather - 2/20/2021 12:55:08 AM   
WYBaugh

quote:

For all that seems to make CA a destination (to some), I'd be avoiding it mainly for the cost. I think water is going to be a problem sooner than later.

I hear Portland Oregon is so awesome. And yet the news seems to make one scratch their head. All my romance novels seem to be focused on the Seattle environs. But I don't care much for trends. And it just seems to be massively expensive. If you haven't got work that makes you very valuable. I know too many that are finding living there too hard regardless of the social angles.

It takes more than politics or job options to interest me. But I'm used to living in a small town (all of my life basically). I'm used to small-town dynamics.

I'd rather live in the small town Maritimes and make it happen with low-cost value property and a need to create work out of thin air than pretend that Toronto was ever going to be doable for me. Way too expensive even if it is where the work is. But the climate can be more aggressive.

Actually, truth be told, if I had the money to build it, I'd be living in a tiny home towed by a decent truck. And I wouldn't have to pick any place in particular.

We have an office in Bellevue WA so I've been fortunate enough to make the cross country trip from Florida to Seattle five times.

Seattle area is beautiful and yes, very expensive. I would not want to live there due to the weather and cost, but well worth the visit!

Post #: 24
RE: THE weather - 2/20/2021 1:03:40 AM   
rickier65

quote:

You heard correctly, Portland OR is great place to live. And don't put too much credence on what you see on the news lately.

Rick

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> THE weather Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll