Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slow repair vs fast repair

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Slow repair vs fast repair Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slow repair vs fast repair - 2/17/2021 8:12:31 AM   
Pocus

It just occurred to me that if you repair a ship from 6 to 10, you lose 40% of her experience.

Now if you repair a ship from 6 to 7, then to 8, then to 9, then to 10, you should keep:
100 90 81 72.9 65.61

65.6% of her experience, meaning you lost 34% in total.
Is my assumption is correct?

AGEOD Team - Lead Developer
Makers of Empires, ACW2, EAW, WIA, WON
Post #: 1
RE: Slow repair vs fast repair - 2/17/2021 11:58:18 AM   
fluidwill matrix

Dunno but would be very interested in the answer.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 2
RE: Slow repair vs fast repair - 2/17/2021 12:04:39 PM   
Pocus

Admittedly this is useful either when you are a bit stranded in MPP and don't mind taking several turns for several units (like subs going in synch to the sea) or for some elite units where you want to keep this twelfth strength points. I'm looking at you Yamato, Bane of the American Battleships!

AGEOD Team - Lead Developer
Makers of Empires, ACW2, EAW, WIA, WON

(in reply to fluidwill matrix)
Post #: 3
RE: Slow repair vs fast repair - 2/17/2021 10:13:28 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

Admittedly this is useful either when you are a bit stranded in MPP and don't mind taking several turns for several units (like subs going in synch to the sea) or for some elite units where you want to keep this twelfth strength points. I'm looking at you Yamato, Bane of the American Battleships!

It would be an interesting choice if that is the case. Balancing the time of a ship being out of action for longer, versus saving it's hard-won experience points.

Brings to mind game designer Sid Meier's famous quote; "A game is a series of interesting choices."

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 4
RE: Slow repair vs fast repair - 2/17/2021 11:53:29 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

It would be an interesting choice if that is the case. Balancing the time of a ship being out of action for longer, versus saving it's hard-won experience points.

Brings to mind game designer Sid Meier's famous quote; "A game is a series of interesting choices."

Yeah, and this game has a ton of interesting choices :)

In regards to slow vs fast repair tied with loss of experience..I've found that its true as Pocus surmised and his formula seems basically correct. Admittedly, I've only been playing WaW MP for a short time, but have a lot of experience with SC-WW1...and I noticed that if I incrementally rebuilt severely damaged units as opposed to reinforcing them fully, that they retained more of their experience. I didn't take the time to do the math, but my own experiences with this subject seemed to support this observation, plus reading about it in the manual.

One thing that seemed realistic, was dealing with severely damaged naval vessels, particularly capital ships. In SC-WW1, its common to have ports full of damaged ships after a fracas or two. With money tight, especially for the UK early in that war...attempts to fully repair capital ships could break the exchequer. So I what have done sometimes is just spend moneys on 1 or 2 strength points if the budget can handle it.....and have had to send them out not fully refitted in an emergency, but retaining more of their original experienced crew.

The other point on how realistic it seems, at least for naval refitting expenditures, is that the Navy is always crying for more money. Its just damn expensive to maintain a tip top fleet...and the land hugger in me wants to resist that as much as possible lol.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 5
RE: Slow repair vs fast repair - 2/18/2021 1:04:42 AM   
Nami Koshino

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

The other point on how realistic it seems, at least for naval refitting expenditures, is that the Navy is always crying for more money. Its just damn expensive to maintain a tip top fleet...and the land hugger in me wants to resist that as much as possible lol.

Which is why my German surface navy lurks only in the Baltic and nowhere else.

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 6
RE: Slow repair vs fast repair - 2/18/2021 4:31:18 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

Which is why my German surface navy lurks only in the Baltic and nowhere else.

ahh yes...pond dwelling. I know it well.

(in reply to Nami Koshino)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Slow repair vs fast repair Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI