Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/11/2021 5:55:45 AM   
Orm

Pizza, with kebab meat on, seems to be the most popular pizza in Sweden. At least that variant has won in several yearly polls.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 31
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/11/2021 11:03:47 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69
The problem with "Italian food" is that it doesn't exists. It would be more correct to speak about Italian regional food, and, in many cases, Italian provincial food.

This is true for *every* country. Political constructs like states and gastronomy are different things.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 32
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/11/2021 12:52:54 PM   
Grognerd_INC

Maybe if your city consumed 50 billion tons a year of pizza or something silly like that you could be called the "pizza capital of the world"??

Formerly Grognerd, currently Doc Savage

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 33
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/11/2021 1:10:21 PM   
RangerJoe

I would rather have the Epicurean definition than than the gluttonous definition.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Grognerd_INC)
Post #: 34
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/12/2021 4:27:53 AM   
rickier65

Well, I have to say, I totally agree with the story posted by the original poster. But my chicago style pizza is a thin crust, square cut pizza. and yes, its the best!

I was sorely disappointed when I left the area and discovered that pizza wasn't the same everywhere! The first time I had a pizza outside the Chicago area, I couldn't believe what I was served. I eventually reconciled myself to the fact that I might have to try every pizza place in each new city I moved in, to find "my" pizza.

I'm now in my 70's and living on the west coast. Fortunately I've found a reasonable facsimile of "my" pizza close by, though when I asked for square cut they looked at me like I was crazy. I finally suggested they just not cut it all. I cut it when I get it home.

Seriously though, I finally realized that what makes a "good" pizza depends a lot on where you learned to like pizza.

And I learned to like pizza as take out for Mama D's pizza in Chicago Heights IL.

Rick

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 35
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/12/2021 7:39:46 AM   
Zap

And I learned to like pizza as take out for Mama D's pizza in Chicago Heights IL.

Rick
[/quote]

Chicago Heights caught my eye. I went to school there and we are separated by 2 years.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 36
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/15/2021 6:35:51 PM   
AndySfromVA

As I native New Yorker I used to be intolerant of all non-NY pizza. But I've since broadened my horizons and I can honestly say that, since I left NY (many decades ago) I never tasted a pizza I didn't like {frozen pizza's excluded).

Anyone ever try St. Louis style pizza? It's much different than any pizza you've ever tasted but, once you get familiar with it, it's quite good (IMHO).

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 37
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/15/2021 7:28:37 PM   
Grognerd_INC

I'm no food or pizza expert but the best pizza I've had was in the late 70's at a place called Carnegie's A440 in Sorrento Valley in San Diego. Of course it's gone now according to the Google map.

Formerly Grognerd, currently Doc Savage

(in reply to AndySfromVA)
Post #: 38
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/15/2021 8:09:53 PM   
ThomasJay

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndySfromVA

As I native New Yorker I used to be intolerant of all non-NY pizza. But I've since broadened my horizons and I can honestly say that, since I left NY (many decades ago) I never tasted a pizza I didn't like {frozen pizza's excluded).

Anyone ever try St. Louis style pizza? It's much different than any pizza you've ever tasted but, once you get familiar with it, it's quite good (IMHO).

Being originally from NJ, I was once the same and totally agree with you. I think most major cities developed their own variation and I've found them all good. Had an aunt in St Louis I used to visit and I did like the pizza after the initial shock wore off. Love Chicago pie as well.
But there are still some pizza deserts in this country where you can only find one of the big chains or even worse small franchises.

(in reply to AndySfromVA)
Post #: 39
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/15/2021 8:15:36 PM   
Will_L

A nice simple pizza that I make on my grill:
Pesto sauce, smoked mozzarella and mushrooms (I prefer morel but you can use whatever ones you want).

(in reply to ThomasJay)
Post #: 40
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/15/2021 8:26:15 PM   
ThomasJay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will_L

Pesto sauce, smoked mozzarella and mushrooms (I prefer morel but you can use whatever ones you want).

That just actually made my mouth water. I don't know if I'll be able to find the morels might have to sub porcinis, but its on the menu list for the next shopping trips

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 41
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/15/2021 8:34:43 PM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThomasJay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will_L

That just actually made my mouth water. I don't know if I'll be able to find the morels might have to sub porcinis, but its on the menu list for the next shopping trips

Porcini's would be great. I use morels because I get them for free from a friend, they grow around an old tree trunk in his yard and he hates shrooms so he calls me when they pop up Hope you enjoy it!

(in reply to ThomasJay)
Post #: 42
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/15/2021 8:56:21 PM   
Erik Rutins

Pizza is a weakness of mine. I grew up eating NY-style pizza and that style made in a wood-fired brick oven is pretty much my favorite, though I have tried and liked Chicago-style as well - but it is quite different. In New England a lot of pizza places are more what we call Greek style, which is pretty good but I still prefer the NY style overall comparatively. A good pizza Margherita is fantastic if the mozzarella and sauce are good and there's an italian restaurant not far from us that makes a great one. One of our other local places does one with mozzarella, smoked gouda, caramelized onions and applewood smoked bacon which all work together very well.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 43
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/15/2021 9:51:12 PM   
RangerJoe

I can remember the date and time when I ate my best pizza. I mention that pizza one of my brothers and he said "That was a good pizza."

My step-grandfather liked pizza but not the name because it reminded him of a Polish word . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 44
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/15/2021 10:29:36 PM   
goodwoodrw

Nothing beats a home made pizza from the bottom up. making your own dough is the key. Toongabbie special

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 45
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/15/2021 11:41:35 PM   
berto

"Chicago pizza". What's that? There is a wide variety of pizzas here, deep dish and thin crust. If you have visited here and sampled just one or two "Chicago pizzas", you don't know the half of it, much less ...

About Chicago being "pizza capital of the world": Not asserting anything about quality, that claim was originally based on Chicago having, supposedly, the greatest number of "pizza parlors [restaurants]" per capita in all the world. I wouldn't know for sure, but I tend to discount all such hyperbolic local boosterism.

I admit to liking "Chicago style" "deep dish" pizza very much. My favorite is Giordano's (based on a genuine regional Italian recipe), but from time to time I hanker for deep dish pizza from Gino's; or Pizzeria Uno, or just down the street, from Pizzeria Due; or Pizano's; or (before they took a deep dive in quality) from Gepetto's; or Lou Malnati's ... (The list goes on and on.) Each of them distinctively different.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 46
RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? - 2/20/2021 7:30:47 PM   
RangerJoe

Inside Naples’ World-Famous Pizza Culture
For hundreds of years, artisans in the southern Italian city have been cooking up the ultimate fast food

(with pictures . . . )

quote:

The citizenry of Naples lives close by a volcano that’s both a memento mori and an index of the human condition. In a city with a predilection for light and shade, optimism coexists with the sober reality of death. During this era of Covid, when time can seem suspended, perhaps no Neapolitan custom is as poignant as the “pizza sospesa” (the suspended pizza), a form of generosity that involves eating one pie and paying for two, leaving the other for a less fortunate stranger. “No one should be denied a pizza,” Oliva says. “It’s the food of solidarity.”The citizenry of Naples lives close by a volcano that’s both a memento mori and an index of the human condition. In a city with a predilection for light and shade, optimism coexists with the sober reality of death. During this era of Covid, when time can seem suspended, perhaps no Neapolitan custom is as poignant as the “pizza sospesa” (the suspended pizza), a form of generosity that involves eating one pie and paying for two, leaving the other for a less fortunate stranger. “No one should be denied a pizza,” Oliva says. “It’s the food of solidarity.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/naples-pizza-original-fast-food-180976992/

― Julia Child

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Chicago the "Pizza Capital" of the World? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI