Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2 questions for those who play MP . . .

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> 2 questions for those who play MP . . . Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/4/2021 6:01:27 AM   
stockwellpete

Question 1 - what proportion of matches have you won when playing as the Central Powers?

Question 2 - I am being told that the USA rarely gets into the war (OCB). When are your matches tending to end? Mid 1917? Earlier? Later?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/4/2021 6:29:31 AM   
Chernobyl

Usually we get fed up with artillery at some point in 1916 and ragequit :D

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 2
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/4/2021 8:55:15 AM   
stockwellpete

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chernobyl

What about your matches playing as Central Powers? Playing against someone of similar experience what percentage of games are you winning?

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 3
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/4/2021 3:02:01 PM   
ThisEndUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chernobyl

Speak for yourself! I'm still salty about how you left our game halfway

I usually finish all my games. Can't comment on the CP win rates though.

As for the USA, it never enters the war. Partly because no CP player is crazy enough to do that, partly because most games end by mid 1917.

< Message edited by ThisEndUp -- 2/4/2021 3:03:31 PM >

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 4
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/4/2021 4:32:26 PM   
stockwellpete

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThisEndUp

Can't comment on the CP win rates though.

From what I can make out from other threads it is a lot harder to win with the CP. More players are saying they lose with the CP than win with them. Quite a bit depends on the relative skill match-ups of the players involved when dealing with a relatively small number of games.

I would have thought that a reasonable balance would see the Entente win 2 out of 3, so it should be a bit harder playing as CP.

(in reply to ThisEndUp)
Post #: 5
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/4/2021 5:13:18 PM   
Chernobyl

Actual gameplay results are most often dictated more by specific mistakes that usually don't get repeated in the next game. Very few of us know enough to play optimally through 1918. So I'm hesitant to speak about a "usual" game.

Post #: 6
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/4/2021 9:05:09 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

Hard to quantify this, when dealing with different skill levels, ghosters, early quitters and other factors.

I had 24 MP matches since Feb 2020. Of those, 4 ended with ghosters. 2 were super early quitters that at least told me they were out. I was gaining the advantage in those playing both sides...so I counted them as wins. Real bummer dealing with folks like this...huge waste of time.

Another one was epic...all powers still standing early 1918. I was CP...and finally took Verdun...opponent inexplicably threw in the towel even though he was replacing Russians faster than I could kill them. sad quit...never really chatted over 3 months of play...wierd.

Lost 6 out of the 24 to two separate opponents..Fafnir and ThisEndUp.
Went to the bitter end with both of these geniuses. (Seriously, I think ThisEndUp would beat Fafnir...regarded as the greatest SC player ever)
Those matches totalled 3 Entente/3CP. All of these matches were fun as hell btw.

The other 11 that I have won were 7 Entente, 4 Central Powers. Most ended in late 1916 to late 1917. These ended early by mutual consent and an official resignation via the pbem++ server. Quite a few were too early during mid game imho but some people don't enjoy playing a game unless they are winning from the get go. Still..better than asshat ghosters and I don't begrudge a resignation. Btw, I played the Entente more because everyone else I met last spring and summer wanted to play Central Powers, and so was forced to learn Entente strategy haha.

Side note..some of my most memorable games were the ones I lost against Fafnir, whom I traded Verdun 7 times...and ThisEndUp where I almost took Istanbul and overran half of Hungary with a Russian/Romanian Gambit.

Memorable wins were against Tanaka who plays the CP...he fought tenaciously to the bitter end both matches we had in SC-WW1. Our last match he almost had my Russians in total collapse and resumed a grinding advance in France, wrecking the British up in Flanders. It took a seaborne invasion of western Anatolia coupled with a UK/Greek thrust into eastern Bulgaria and Turkish Trace to knock the Ottomans out. He was closer to winning then I think he believed at the time.

Side note: Played two Race to Paris and one Ludendorff matches and lost these to Zarevic...to the bitter end also. Zarevic and I had great fun with these operational scenarios.

Played two hotseat campaign matches vs Dark Taboo. 1 loss and 1 stalemate.
Was Entente in the loss. Was CP in the stalemate.

Cheers

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 2/5/2021 9:50:46 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/4/2021 10:57:51 PM   
stockwellpete

What is a "ghoster"?

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 8
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/5/2021 1:22:09 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: stockwellpete

What is a "ghoster"?

A ghoster is someone that doesn't return a turn, doesn't resign, and doesn't even have the courtesy to send a pm. (mail). I understand that real life events can happen that could stop a someone from communicating that they are afk..there's a lot of reasons why that could happen.

I have a particularly egregious example that happened last summer. I got into a mirror match with someone I didn't know on the server..it was an open challenge..and we played for about 3 weeks. Both games I started to dominate in....

We never missed more than 1 day that whole time...but suddenly..nothing. Days went by...then weeks. I was worried that something bad occurred possibly. At the same time..since I had 2 other long running MP going..I still got to relax with this hobby with a pandemic and social unrest raging all around. However...I also declined multiple invitations to game with other peeps that are on the forums here or whom I know through other games, such as WitE. I didn't want to skate on this fella.

Well..30 days go by...the server ends both matches..and then guess what? I see him on the server with 2 open challenges. Pissed me off....I contacted some friends privately..to warn them off this knucklehead. Oh..and by the way..a friend checked his real name that he publicly submitted on Matrix...and on a whim..found the same guy on Facebook....read through his public posts and informed me that this guy is a rabid neo-nazi. lol since I favor the Left, I would of been happy to grind his grist either digitally in a game or out in the street.

There...that's what a ghosts are...and how I feel about them.

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 2/5/2021 1:24:24 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/5/2021 9:09:21 AM   
stockwellpete

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

Hmmm. Perhaps you were playing against that QAnon chappie with the spear?! Who is now otherwise occupied! I think I shall have to refer to you as "Comrade OCB" in future. Good to know that there are other lefties about anyway.

It sounds from your games that the Entente v CP score would be fairly even overall, but the real problem is getting through to the later stages of the game. I am a bit uncertain how much of a problem this is because in my one MP game I surrendered as CP in mid-1915 when it became clear to me that I had no chance of winning. Austria-Hungary was already collapsing and Romania had joined the Entente. To my way of thinking that is a legitimate conclusion of a game, just like in chess when players resign when they know they are beaten. In this game it is a very big ask for a player to continue for lots of turns once they think their position is hopeless. Probably better to surrender, learn some lessons from what went on and try again.

Post #: 10
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/5/2021 9:39:48 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

Yeah....your decision to resign sounds legitimate. You got to put some in to learn for sure.

On the ghosting thing...after I griped about it to a few peeps last summer, I was advised a couple of times to find matches through the Matrix forum...and not just jump into any public challenge open on the Slitherine server. They said that I wouldn't run in to that nonsense if I did that....and they were right.

Btw...you can call me Commissar Balthazor Haha. I was going to use Alec Guinness's image of himself playing the role of the Commissar in the movie 'Dr Zhivago' as my profile picture...but I settled for Peter O'Toole's T.E. Lawrence. The book Seven Pillars of Wisdom by Col. Lawrence and the movie Lawrence of Arabia are favorites...as are both of these actors.

Post #: 11
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/5/2021 9:59:05 AM   
shri

quote:

Question 1 - what proportion of matches have you won when playing as the Central Powers?

Question 2 - I am being told that the USA rarely gets into the war (OCB). When are your matches tending to end? Mid 1917? Earlier? Later?

Thanks.

Q2- US getting into the war if that is the only way entente can win, then entente deserves to lose. Why should any player play ZIMMY?
Does a player every do the suicidal plan XVII or equally suicidal rush into East Prussia?

If ZIMMY is enforced, then French corps (atleast 3) should start at half strength on turn 1 (for easy kills) and Russians (atleast 6) at half strength, the CP victories in 1914 were gigantic in RL, never repeated till WW2 started.
Similarly, Russian victory at Galicia was huge.

Post #: 12
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/5/2021 10:04:52 AM   
shri

quote:

Thanks.

CP victory depends a lot on what happens in 1914 coupled with luck in getting early research breakthroughs.
Of-course a skilled CP player like "THIS END UP" can run through the Entente like a Sharp Knife through butter.
In general with relatively equal skills (let's say bad players like me) the Entente is stronger.

Post #: 13
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/5/2021 3:03:40 PM   
ThisEndUp

It is unfortunate, but wargames tend to attract those alt-right nuts more than other genres. Especially those WW2 era ones. Sheesh. Part of the reason why I prefer to stick here.

(in reply to shri)
Post #: 14
RE: 2 questions for those who play MP . . . - 2/5/2021 6:46:44 PM   
Bavre

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

What is a "ghoster"?

A ghoster is someone that doesn't return a turn, doesn't resign, and doesn't even have the courtesy to send a pm. (mail). I understand that real life events can happen that could stop a someone from communicating that they are afk..there's a lot of reasons why that could happen.

I have a particularly egregious example that happened last summer. I got into a mirror match with someone I didn't know on the server..it was an open challenge..and we played for about 3 weeks. Both games I started to dominate in....

We never missed more than 1 day that whole time...but suddenly..nothing. Days went by...then weeks. I was worried that something bad occurred possibly. At the same time..since I had 2 other long running MP going..I still got to relax with this hobby with a pandemic and social unrest raging all around. However...I also declined multiple invitations to game with other peeps that are on the forums here or whom I know through other games, such as WitE. I didn't want to skate on this fella.

Well..30 days go by...the server ends both matches..and then guess what? I see him on the server with 2 open challenges. Pissed me off....I contacted some friends privately..to warn them off this knucklehead. Oh..and by the way..a friend checked his real name that he publicly submitted on Matrix...and on a whim..found the same guy on Facebook....read through his public posts and informed me that this guy is a rabid neo-nazi. lol since I favor the Left, I would of been happy to grind his grist either digitally in a game or out in the street.

I have an even weirder example of a ghoster: one guy I played disappeared (challenge timed out on server), who was clearly a BETTER player than me and was winning. I hope it wasn't Covid or something.

On the subject of surrendering: I was genuinely not aware that this is considered rude . So far, I always accepted/offered surrenders once the outcome is clear, be it by snowballing beyond the point of no return or just a vast difference in player skill (early surrender). I assumed it would save both sides from playing out a long and totally boring match.

Btw OCB, since you favor the left you should definitely play more CB to make sure comrade Lenin gets a comfy ride!

And finally on the original topic: I have not had all that many matches yet and so far only one with an opponent that was not clearly weaker or stronger. But since that match was really nervewrecking and close with me as CP only winning through luck in the right moment, I think the balance is at least not completely skewed.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> 2 questions for those who play MP . . . Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI