From: Vermont, USA
1. Things should tell me how much of any given resource they still need/need in total. That is both planets doing a construction and ships in the designer.
All DWU tells me "we are missing X and have no mining station for X" or "Production stalled because X is missing".
No indication how much X we need, how far away my only supply of X is, etc.
First, resource cost is now paid when you build something rather than starting to build and then getting the resources over time. Also, the cost is made clear and resource shortages are much, much easier to see and understand.
2. A Empire wide overview
I would need a empire wide overview for all resources of:
- Demand. That should include all currently undergoing operations - every ship or mining station in the queue across my entire empire.
- Supply. All the deposits I got under my mining stations/on my colonies
- In transit. How much is currently in transit to be delivered - on freighters of my own empire, in mining ships of my own empire. Can include how much si already delivered (waiting for the rest of the resources to start production).
- Extended in transit. Like in Transit, except it includes stuff that has not yet been retreived from the station/mined out or will have to be bought from another empire (indicating the lack of a stable supply).
This exists but not with every category above summarized but still much more easily accessible and transparent than in DW1. We might add more break-out categories if it proves useful during the beta.
3. Less is more. There are so many resource, it is hard to even understand wich one is important/a bottleneck/a important resource. If you got a lot of resoruces, a lot of them just become noise. Noise that makes it hard to figure out the ones that really mater.
And to top it off, some of them are pretty...trivial to get anyway. Carbon Fibre? Can be made from Carbon.
Steel? That is literally just Iron + Carbon.
The need to extract Hydrogen from Gas giants? it is the most common element, with a estimated 75% of the total visible weight of the universe!
Helium? That is a estimated 24% of all visible mass in the unvierse. (The remaining 1% are the heavier elements).
How is any lost colony going "space age", if it has no access to steel? Or Carbon? Or Helium?
You could cut them out entirely, without much loss. If you still want it for idel traffic, consider combining them into "Common Solids" and "Common gasses".
Resource abundance is decreased from DW1, mining rates are decreased, some resources (even construction resources) are more scarce than others, etc. Typically, the more scarce resources are needed for the more advanced technologies.
As far as re-doing the resources along more real-world lines, that's certainly possible, it's just not quite what we were aiming for.
4. Pre-FTL in system drive
A big issue with the pre-FTL setting, is the difficulty of using the resources in your home System. On top of travel between Systems, the FTL especially allows quick travel within a System.
The same mining station/planet can be simulation years away or simulation minutes, depending on if you got Warp drive. This makes both the exploitation and defense of those assets impossible. Basically unless it is in the same moon/planet system as your starting colony, it might as well not exist.
Maybe you could give us a early "proto Warpdrive"? One that allows FTL or near FTL travel - but only within a system.
We did, it's called the Skip Drive and you can/should get it quite quickly in base DW2. :-)