From: Vermont, USA
Hi Erik, I am a huge and long term fan of your game and I am so exicted for DW2, here are some things I really like about the game and a list of recommendations or things that I think can be improved on for DW2
1. Will DW2 have military/army only drag? or an option to toggle that? Often times, I have to drag select my ships to send them off somewhere or to battle but when I do that, my non-military ships like construction ships also get selected. This makes it a tedious pain to individually select them and send them away, a lot of rts and 4x games have a army only drag so I would recommend that
Since the armies are not on the "map" you don't drag to select them. However, there is no longer just the concept of a particular troop unit. You now have army templates and you can assign an entire army to a fleet or planet, for example, instead of having to move individual troops there.
2. In DWU, ships operate on fuel and they have to refuel which I really like and feels immersive and realistic and adds another tactical level, however, when a fleet is heading somewhere and one of the ships runs out of gas, the entire fleet will slow to a crawl and move at the same speed as the out of fuel ship, this is very frustrating, especially when you are trying to send ships to battle or to another planet, the only thing I can do is individually select those ships and send them back or just out of annoyance and its easier than selecting and sending them back, I just delete the ships from my fleet, now if its just one ship in a large fleet, then that's tolerable, but when its like 25 ships I have to manually select and send back, it becomes a annoying tedious chore and really ruins the gaming experience, if in DW2, there is a efficient and effective method to redirect or select those out of fuel ships to go refuel without making it a manually intensive chore, that would be awesome
I have not seen this in DW2. We're still working on the AI in many areas, but I certainly hope the management of fleets and how they handle repair/refuel/retrofit will be improved from DW1.
3. Similar to point 3, loading troops into transport ships is a pain and tedious and manually intensive, while unloading is pretty straightforward, (although I think a option to decide how many of those troops we want to unload would be nice), after the invasion, loading those troops back onto the transports is a pain and not efficient and requires tedious micro as it just says "Load troops at this planet" rather than give more efficient options to load large numbers of troops effectively onto many transports
4. DWU Research/Tech tree is very meh and bland and uninspired, it leaves much to be desired, I would recommend making research a much more immersive experience with better tech tree design in DW2
Well, I think the research tree in DW2 is better than in DW1, but it's also similar in concept, so if you didn't like the DW1 research tree at all I'm not sure how much you'll like the DW2 one. Have a look above for some more information on how research has changed as there are many other changes to consider in this area.
5. I would highly recommend creating a map that has our solar system when playing as humans, while I do like the setting and story of the DWU, I also really like to rp as humanity from earth slowly expanding and conquering through the stars, it makes the experience much more personable and easier to rp when we are exploring and expanding from our own solar system rather than one we are not really familiar or connected to
Not going to be the default initial release, but I've seen the request and I'm sure we'll add in something like this eventually. You can use the in-game editor in the editor to customize your starting solar system.
6. Deeper govt features and more govt types, more interesting rebellion and unrest mechanics, rival parties, etc
The governments are a bit more interesting and balanced IMHO. Rebellion and unrest happens a bit more realistically. There are no rival internal political parties, you are assumed to be playing whoever is in charge at the moment at any given time.
7. I think troop ground invasions could be made more immersive and interesting, whether that be more tactical options, varied ground troop types, orbital bombardments, as well as more immersive ground invasion battlefield visuals,
They could and while we've improved the ground combat mechanics compared to DW1, a sub-system that improves combat visuals and/or adds a layer of additional control over ground combat is not something that will be in the initial release.
8. pirates often feel more annoying than challenging and could use some improvement
Well, they don't like you either. Pirates will be an improved version of the original DW1 pirates at release, rather than the fully expanded Shadows pirates. They are mainly an early game threat to overcome at this stage of development as they were originally. I'm sure we'll build on that over time.
9. Economy could be made more interesting and engaging as often times, the numbers I see in revenue I can't correlate or connect with anything, I just accept it and only care that it goes up but I dont know what is driving it and how I can tweak and improve it, I think this can be improved by making detailed economy sheets that show exactly what your revenue is coming from and what the expenses are and how the markets/trade is affecting it
The entire state and private economy is IMHO much more transparent in DW2 and that goes hand in hand with many of the interface improvements.
10. While this game obviously isn't the prettiest game (which I have no issue with as I always believe gameplay > graphics), I think maybe for DW2, when clicking on a planet, we can see a more aesthetically pleasing picture, either of the cityscape or environment of the planet or the planet itself,
Have you already looked at the videos? Hopefully you like the new graphics.