Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Militia excess vehicle troop carriers ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Militia excess vehicle troop carriers ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Militia excess vehicle troop carriers ? - 1/26/2021 5:12:30 PM   
BlueTemplar

My militia has FINALLY gotten non-starting models !

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Militia excess vehicle troop carriers ? - 1/26/2021 5:12:59 PM   
BlueTemplar

However, here we see that whoever is responsible for militia battlegroups has thrown in an extra Troop Carrier without it having anything to actually carry !

I know that Militia units are "just thrown together", but shouldn't they at least respect the 1:1 Foot:carrier ratio ?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 2
RE: Militia excess vehicle troop carriers ? - 1/26/2021 6:47:27 PM   
zgrssd

Troop carriers are their own units, just like tanks are. And it might even be classed as Tank, just like buggies.

Trucks are indeed the exception to how motorisation is handeled.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/26/2021 6:48:00 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: Militia excess vehicle troop carriers ? - 1/26/2021 7:24:41 PM   
BlueTemplar

Hmm, but both Trucks and APCs do not have an independent Formation where they are alone.
And both can be manually put alone into their own Battlegroup...

I've used troop carriers extensively in this first game, it's always annoying when more carriers than troops get killed and there's no (easy) way to split off just 1-2 troops from a single Unit to get the fast movement back the very same turn. You have to either split at least 3 or have an additional specific Battlegroup responsible for dealing with the excesses, which will lose all its movement points upon transfer to it and then will get stuck in slow movement mode itself unless you brought extra carriers.

In fact rotating carrier-lacking units to a road to logistically replace the carriers might be less of a fuss (though then it's the likely fighting unit that loses all its movement points or has to wait for automatic replacements next turn).

Otherwise, any reason why I might want to use APCs alone, rather than Buggies or Light Tanks ? (Assuming that I have models for all 3 that have rolled similar Design stats ?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Militia excess vehicle troop carriers ? - 1/26/2021 8:40:29 PM   
zgrssd

Maybe rules ahve changed. I can only go off what happened when I last used them:
Trucks were non-combat, backline carrier units.
APC's were frontline units, that stood right there with all other infantry.

Overall I think the whole Truck/APC system needs a rework. I made a suggestion for it a while ago, recently udpated now that I got the Airforce as a idea basis.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/26/2021 8:41:22 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Militia excess vehicle troop carriers ? - 1/26/2021 8:47:46 PM   
BlueTemplar

Oh right, I haven't yet read the part of the manual that deals with the difference during fights between "frontline" and "backline" units... I guess then that if APCs are frontline and Trucks backline, then Trucks might have a much better chance of survival in some situations, despite their frailty ?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Militia excess vehicle troop carriers ? - 1/26/2021 9:04:21 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar

Oh right, I haven't yet read the part of the manual that deals with the difference during fights between "frontline" and "backline" units... I guess then that if APCs are frontline and Trucks backline, then Trucks might have a much better chance of survival in some situations, despite their frailty ?

Their survival is pretty much based on "never being shot at".
Usually only trucks and Artillery prefer the backline.

Only artillery or units that have broken through can hit the backline.
With artillery being unable to hit units that have broken through, but also being really good at preventing breakthroughs.

Also consider that Artillery has a capped attack score: High Firepower results in more attacks, not much more powerfull attacks. Wich makes it easier for trucks to survive them as well.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/26/2021 9:05:15 PM >

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Militia excess vehicle troop carriers ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI