Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What would you say is the appeal of this game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> What would you say is the appeal of this game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What would you say is the appeal of this game? - 1/23/2021 3:56:44 PM   
mdsmall

I am trying to persuade a couple of my regular opponents who have only played War in Europe or World at War, to try this game. For the many experienced players in this Forum who have played both, what do you find is the appeal as a game of SC WW1 versus the WW2 era games?
Post #: 1
RE: What would you say is the appeal of this game? - 1/23/2021 4:15:21 PM   
stockwellpete

I think in some ways that WW2 was a continuation of WW1. The peace treaties from WW1 could have held in certain circumstances, but had very little chance of doing so given the deep global economic crisis that began in 1929. So for wargamers who have concentrated previously on WW2, they will begin to see the common strands running through both wars, including a number of military developments that have their origins in WW1 and only come to full fruition in WW2. Particularly such things as the use of air power and the development of combined Blitzkrieg tactics. Understanding more about WW1 will undoubtedly increase a person's understanding of WW2.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: What would you say is the appeal of this game? - 1/24/2021 8:24:09 AM   
shri

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

I am trying to persuade a couple of my regular opponents who have only played War in Europe or World at War, to try this game. For the many experienced players in this Forum who have played both, what do you find is the appeal as a game of SC WW1 versus the WW2 era games?

The real appeal is that in WW1 there was no overarching Good/Bad sides, there was no pre-war determination of victory of one side. There is real balance possible in game and IRL. It was possible historically for a CP victory right until mid 1917, in WW2 by early/mid 1942 AXIS was decisively lost, though games do not mod this well as they weaken the USSR.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 3
RE: What would you say is the appeal of this game? - 1/24/2021 11:06:25 AM   
eriador08

Both sides are balanced and able to play defence and offence from the start. You have multiple fronts where you have to balance your troops and decide where to strike and where to dig in. It is not the more or less strict Poland, then Northern Europe, France and finaly Russia game. Your decisions also tend to take longer to come into effect, until you can see, if it really was worth it. It is a struggle from beginning to the end, where every move counts in another way than in ww2.

(in reply to shri)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> What would you say is the appeal of this game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI