Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"The Saga of Pappy Ginn"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> "The Saga of Pappy Ginn" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"The Saga of Pappy Ginn" - 1/23/2021 1:13:47 PM   
ny59giants

I just finished reading this almost 100 page book by Gen George Kenney. I did not know anything about Ginn until I was on the third book by Jeffrey Cox, "Blazing Star, Setting Sun." Ginn along with input from Gen Kenney modified the B-25s to be attack bombers with all those .50cal in the nose and the skip bombing techniques used around New Guinea. Ginn was retired USN and working in Manila when war broke out. His wife and four children were POWs there while he went back to Australia in the Army Air Force. Ginn was a mechanical genius who was also a pilot. The other notable about Ginn was his great story telling. When I play the Allies, I love his modified B-25s. He spent a couple of months in LA at the B-25 plant showing them how to modify them.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 1/23/2021 1:15:46 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: "The Saga of Pappy Ginn" - 1/23/2021 1:38:48 PM   
Yaab

Gin + gun = Gunn

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2
RE: "The Saga of Pappy Ginn" - 1/23/2021 2:33:24 PM   
Randy Stead

I read a book years ago, forget the guy's name, who was a bomber pilot flying one of those planes. He later went on to fly the plane that dropped Chuck Yeager's X-1 rocket plane when he officially broke the sound barrier for the first time. I think his surname was Bridgeman or something like that.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 3
RE: "The Saga of Pappy Ginn" - 1/23/2021 2:43:49 PM   
Randy Stead

Here's a link to a story about the special B-25 mentioned above:

How the B-25 Became the Ultimate Strafer...

Still can't find the name of the pilot who was involved in the rocket plane dropping. It was not Bob Cardenas, who was the pilot the day it was dropped; it was another pilot who dropped it on other flights in the program and who relates his stories as a pilot of a B-25 "strafer."

(in reply to Randy Stead)
Post #: 4
RE: "The Saga of Pappy Ginn" - 1/23/2021 2:44:28 PM   
Leandros

I have Kenney's book - Pappy Gunn was an extraordinary character in the Pacific War. That the general took the time to write a book about him, one of his more dubious subordinates, proves this. Kenney first met Gunn when he visited his units after taking command of MacArthur's air force, and was immediately impressed by him. He is also mentioned in Bartsch' Doomed at the Start. He was actually running a small airline in the The Philippines when the war started, operating Beech 18's which were taken over by the USAAC.

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 5
RE: "The Saga of Pappy Ginn" - 1/23/2021 5:10:07 PM   
RangerJoe

His family members were not POWs, they were civilians and internees.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 6
RE: "The Saga of Pappy Ginn" - 1/25/2021 9:06:53 PM   
dasboot1960

There is a very good biography 'Indestructible' by John R Bruning. It is a shame that more was not documented about the man during his lifetime. Legends abound. The Navy wanted him back (he was a retired CPO who flew for the predecessors of the Blue Angels), but he preferred not, and the Army kept him.

< Message edited by dasboot1960 -- 1/25/2021 9:08:07 PM >

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: "The Saga of Pappy Ginn" - 1/25/2021 10:29:28 PM   
fcooke

He was an interesting character. Did all kinds of good work while his family was detained in the PI. But put up with no regimental stuff. I think he went back to running airlines in the PI post war and met his end in the 50s in an aircraft accident.

(in reply to dasboot1960)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> "The Saga of Pappy Ginn" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI