Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/20/2021 9:18:46 PM   
DWReese

I have created many scenarios and all have run fine.

This is the first scenario that I have created with multiple ballistic missile launchers and ABM vessels. The game slows down to a snail's pace. In fact, it takes about three seconds for every game second. Following the ballistic missile attacks the game speeds back up to regular speed. This has been reported, and I'm sure is being tweaked by the devs.

In the meantime.....My question pertains to units that aren't being used in THIS scenario, but were left over from a previous campaign-type situation. Would deleting them from their bases, etc., help at all? I wouldn't mind keeping them for later, but if it could improve things, I'd be glad to dump them. Right now they are just sitting in hangers.

My AU Count (not that I really know what that precisely is) is about 1410 during the ballistic attack, but usually runs in the high 1300s. Do these unused units have anything to do with game speed in these situations?

Doug

Post #: 1
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/20/2021 10:47:27 PM   
thewood1

ABMs are generally causing slow downs as the devs have stated a few times. They said they are working on the issue. It also depends on what version you are running. If you don't want to delete the units, you actually kind of turn them off through lua. There is a function that allows you to pull units out of the AI execution cycles. I don't remember the syntax, but someone in the CMO lua forum might know the details.

To the point of a 1300 unit scenario with a bunch of ABM engagements going on getting better because you delete a few hundred useless units, I don't think you'll see a noticeable difference. But doesn't hurt to try. Might have actually been easier to just try it.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/21/2021 8:33:28 AM   
alphali

You can do a test scenario with just a few ballistic missiles and one ABM unit(like THAAD for example). As soon as the missiles are detected by the ABM unit the game will slow down significantly. This is why i don't think it will matter if you delete units from the scenario as this is almost entirely the ABM logic and tracking that is causing the slowdown.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/21/2021 9:10:13 AM   
KnightHawk75

Minor in the scale of the ABM stuff, I wouldn't remove them.
.AI_DeterminePrimaryTarget_enabled
.AI_EvaluateTargets_enabled
are the two properties you can try setting on units that may not be needing to do either of those things, can always turn them back on.
For example most piece of a large non single unit airbase could have both set to false.

(in reply to alphali)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/21/2021 9:15:53 AM   
DWReese

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I deleted a few units as a test and from what I have seen everything that you said is likely true. The deleted units did nothing to improve performance. In fact, deleting a few units appeared to not affect the AU count at all. (Perhaps I didn't delete enough, or perhaps it isn't tied to that at all.)

I just didn't know if the AU count had some magic threshold (like 1400) and if the scenario ever surpasses that number, then it would slow down. That's why I thought that by dumping some units I night be able to get under 1400.

Thanks again for responding.

Doug

(in reply to alphali)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/21/2021 9:21:32 AM   
DWReese

KH,

Thanks for responding. I will try that out.

Also, see my response to alphali.

Do you know if there is a magic threshold with regard to the AU count? In other words, if you surpass this amount, then things stop working. What does AU really mean/do with regard to performance?

Doug

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/21/2021 9:54:36 AM   
thewood1

As far as I have seen there is no magic threshold. I have seen one scenario with 10k units. Its all about processing cycles. On a mid-range PC, 3000 units should be able to run. Maybe not more than 1:1 or 2:1, but it should run. It'll slow down if a lot of missiles start flying, but it generally returns to it previous state.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/21/2021 1:00:22 PM   
Dimitris

The slowdown issue caused by ABM DLZ calculations is currently in the process of being resolved.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/21/2021 1:42:20 PM   
DWReese

Dimitris,

Thanks for your response.

Can you answer one more? Setting the ABM issues aside for a minute, is it worthwhile to eliminate units that aren't being used from a scenario in an effort to save some memory, or will it not make much difference? I have things like ammo depots, and airport control towers that could be eliminated, but I have a feeling that eliminating those units like that really won't do anything significant as far as saving memory.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 9
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/21/2021 7:18:30 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightHawk75

are the two properties you can try setting on units that may not be needing to do either of those things, can always turn them back on.
For example most piece of a large non single unit airbase could have both set to false.

Hmm. If this really is a performance hang sounds like adding a DB flag for known non-shooters might help here instead of having user's mod every unit they want off. You can then add the properties via lua to the exceptions (units you put mounts on etc).

Mike

< Message edited by BDukes -- 1/21/2021 7:19:26 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/21/2021 8:26:47 PM   
SunlitZelkova

Are you using the latest public beta? I have a scenario I am working on, with a full scale nuclear war between the US and China. It is work in progress but all nuclear forces and most of the targets are there, in total with about 1500 something units. With ICBMs and interceptors flying it gets up to around 1900, and with the current "normal" update it does indeed become slow (one in game second takes like 2-3 real minutes) but with the public beta, while there is a bit of a slow down (1 in game second takes like 2-3 real seconds) it is far more playable than before.

Formerly known as Project2035, TyeeBanzai, and FlyForLenin

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 11
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/21/2021 11:42:02 PM   
DWReese

Yes, I am using the most current (beta) version.

The game works fine until the ballistic missiles are fired, and the ABM are fired at them. Then it slows down to what I said. After those are resolved, it speeds back up.

They are aware of it, and they will fix it.

I was just wondering if eliminating things that aren't being used (like fuel depots on bases that won't ever come into play) would do anything to help. It was just a thought, that's all.

Doug

(in reply to SunlitZelkova)
Post #: 12
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/23/2021 8:34:06 AM   
KnightHawk75

quote:

ORIGINAL: BDukes

quote:

Hmm. If this really is a performance hang sounds like adding a DB flag for known non-shooters might help here instead of having user's mod every unit they want off. You can then add the properties via lua to the exceptions (units you put mounts on etc).

Mike

I don't agree at all. The gain is minimal imho compared to making the avg scene author then have to remember to turn them on when I do want a facility or something to be targeting, because I'm customizing it or re-using it for another purpose would be hell. Even worse for those less versed doing these things because they wouldn't even know off hand what to check when they were wondering why they put a weapon system on something and it wasn't working. I think that would generate more than a few tech support posts over time. They way it is I think is the way it should be, if you're trying to eek out extra performance in a large scene you go make the change yourself. It's really not that big a deal to script the change against a large number of your assets either by dbid or sub-category. unitsBy:() on the side wrapper is great tool for easily filtering that most of the time, especially with the enhancements since 1146 that added optional category and sub-type filtering.

< Message edited by KnightHawk75 -- 1/23/2021 8:43:00 AM >

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 13
RE: Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness - 1/23/2021 12:42:39 PM   
BDukes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BDukes

quote:

Mike

I don't agree at all. The gain is minimal imho compared to making the avg scene author then have to remember to turn them on when I do want a facility or something to be targeting, because I'm customizing it or re-using it for another purpose would be hell. Even worse for those less versed doing these things because they wouldn't even know off hand what to check when they were wondering why they put a weapon system on something and it wasn't working. I think that would generate more than a few tech support posts over time. They way it is I think is the way it should be, if you're trying to eek out extra performance in a large scene you go make the change yourself. It's really not that big a deal to script the change against a large number of your assets either by dbid or sub-category. unitsBy:() on the side wrapper is great tool for easily filtering that most of the time, especially with the enhancements since 1146 that added optional category and sub-type filtering.

Nice points! Easy is the goal and sounds like lua coding this isn't the job I thought it would be. Will do.

Thanks!

Mike

< Message edited by BDukes -- 1/23/2021 1:25:10 PM >

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Question about memory/AU Count/Slowness Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI