Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1982 Falklands scenario what if question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> 1982 Falklands scenario what if question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1982 Falklands scenario what if question - 1/20/2021 3:45:01 PM   
Sardaukar

If I'd want to have Ark Royal ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ark_Royal_(R09) ) in British Task Force, pretending it was not retired 1979...What CV I could use from as substitute from DB3000? Pity we could not use CWDB and DB3000 together, I think.

Other problem would be Buccaneers, what would be closest one, Corsair II? Phantoms not so big problem, can use USN ones.

Maybe one way would be just move the date back to 1979 and use CWDB..but that'd be lot of rebuilding.

I just want to see if there would be suitable ship to plug in easily.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Post #: 1
RE: 1982 Falklands scenario what if question - 1/20/2021 4:04:31 PM   
butch4343

Hi

I have had the same thoughts myself about a 1982 Falklands with the old ark royal in the fleet.

I would say that u go down the road of using thenpre 79 data base as most of the rn fleet in the Falklands was in service by 1979. Even the type 42s are included.

Unless of course you want to do something like a Falklands in 1986 or later for example.

As a side question , what rebuilding do you envisage having to do for the 1982 warships if you were creating them in 1979 database?

< Message edited by butch4343 -- 1/20/2021 4:06:24 PM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 2
RE: 1982 Falklands scenario what if question - 1/20/2021 4:41:05 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: butch4343

Hi

I have had the same thoughts myself about a 1982 Falklands with the old ark royal in the fleet.

I would say that u go down the road of using thenpre 79 data base as most of the rn fleet in the Falklands was in service by 1979. Even the type 42s are included.

Unless of course you want to do something like a Falklands in 1986 or later for example.

As a side question , what rebuilding do you envisage having to do for the 1982 warships if you were creating them in 1979 database?

I am just looking for easy way to put Ark Royal into existing scenario.

I think Midway-class would be reasonably close, while bigger.

Only thing is...there are no carrier-capable Buccaneers in 1982, so need to find "close enough"...Super Etendards on both sides would be amusing...

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 1/20/2021 4:43:13 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to butch4343)
Post #: 3
RE: 1982 Falklands scenario what if question - 1/20/2021 5:34:09 PM   
butch4343

Ah ok you have a challenge here findinga reasonable facilities of the buccaneer, and in part the gannet aew aircraft.

The buccaneer has the range of an aircraft intruder, it had a mid ranged TV guides missile and an arm version, problem is the intruder in the database has harpoon which gives it too much stand off capability. Walleye bombs would more accurately represent the martel capability. Unwohld just need to tweak the midway magazine to exclude the harpoon.

The aew capability is more of an issue, the problem e2 hawkeye is too capable to reasonably emulate a gannet, perhaps your only solution is to have the seaking aew 2 in its place, perhaps others can give an idea of the gannets radar range. The speed difference between a helicopter and a gannet on station isn't all that great

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 4
RE: 1982 Falklands scenario what if question - 1/20/2021 6:14:30 PM   
Sardaukar

Well, Gannet might be in DB3000, I think, so that is not a problem. Or just switch them to Sea King AEW. Edit: just checked, no Gannet.

Intruder would be decent replacement, just not using the Harpoons. No need for further tweaks, going to play Brits.

Maybe add some more Skyhawks and Mirages for Argentina.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 1/20/2021 6:19:45 PM >

(in reply to butch4343)
Post #: 5
RE: 1982 Falklands scenario what if question - 1/20/2021 8:45:05 PM   
Kushan04

Could use one the generic CATORBAR carriers and add sensors and magazines to it.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 6
RE: 1982 Falklands scenario what if question - 1/21/2021 1:30:32 AM   
Rory Noonan

If it's for a community scenario it's no problem to add hypothetical units like this to the DB, just request in the proper thread and we'll get to it ASAP. DB updates have been slow the past few months, but it'll be worth it when you get your hands on what we've been working on!

(in reply to Kushan04)
Post #: 7
RE: 1982 Falklands scenario what if question - 1/21/2021 12:50:37 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rory Noonan

If it's for a community scenario it's no problem to add hypothetical units like this to the DB, just request in the proper thread and we'll get to it ASAP. DB updates have been slow the past few months, but it'll be worth it when you get your hands on what we've been working on!

No worries, it is just for my own use, I like to tinker with other's scenarios.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> 1982 Falklands scenario what if question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI