Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Should Mulhausen be a fortified town?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Should Mulhausen be a fortified town? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should Mulhausen be a fortified town? - 1/20/2021 9:47:40 AM   
stockwellpete

It swapped hands a couple of times quite easily in August 1914 so I have been trying to find out what fortifications it had. No luck so far which suggests to me it didn't have very much there. Anyone know?
Post #: 1
RE: Should Mulhausen be a fortified town? - 1/20/2021 10:23:07 AM   
shri

IMHO No.
It shouldn't be a fort. The main fortress was METZ and a minor fortress was Strassberg. So, Strassberg can be the NM and fort and Mulhausen just be a normal Town.

KronPrinz Rupprecht abandoned it in 1914 and took in back in his counterattack.

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 2
RE: Should Mulhausen be a fortified town? - 1/20/2021 11:58:42 AM   
stockwellpete

OK then. Maybe Bill will think about adjusting this in the new patch?

(in reply to shri)
Post #: 3
RE: Should Mulhausen be a fortified town? - 1/21/2021 6:08:23 AM   
shri

quote:

ORIGINAL: stockwellpete

OK then. Maybe Bill will think about adjusting this in the new patch?

The problem is in game, 1914 isn't modded properly.

In 1914 there were no trenches till the winter stuck and the Germans gave up their advance and dug in, the Brits and French also dug in opposite them, in the east right through 1915 and 1916 huge advances (i am speaking of over 1 million men in the attack for months at a stretch) was very normal.

In game, everyone does "BITE & HOLD" which was done in mid/late war by Germans and Canadians/Anzac on western front. You push, dig in and wait for the counter-attack and do attrition from a position of strength.

What can change the game is restricting Entrenchments in the east to 2/3 at most and delaying all entrenchment techs till December 1914, the first tech (technically level 2 of entrenchments) automatically awarded to all majors by event (reducing some 50/100 MPP), then onwards you research more tech. So, level 4 and above trenches will come only from late 1915 or early 1916.
Further, Artillery potency needs to be reduced or shell supply crippled till mid 1915 and event artillery disabled for all (all artillery to be purchased and transported by spending MPP).
This will make the game more historical (but also a bit boring) as 1915 will be minor sniping and attrition and big battles/breakthrough in the west will start only from 1916.
This will also weaken all minors, Italy, Austria, Ottomans and Russia against German attacks or Entente attacks (mainly British attacks).

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 4
RE: Should Mulhausen be a fortified town? - 1/21/2021 6:42:29 AM   
stockwellpete

quote:

ORIGINAL: shri

The problem is in game, 1914 isn't modded properly.

In 1914 there were no trenches till the winter stuck and the Germans gave up their advance and dug in, the Brits and French also dug in opposite them, in the east right through 1915 and 1916 huge advances (i am speaking of over 1 million men in the attack for months at a stretch) was very normal.

I understand what you are saying here but I have a slightly different take on it. It wasn't so much the winter that caused the trenches, it was the fact that Germany did not think it could breakthrough and take Paris that made them start digging. This was to keep the ground that they already had taken. They did fall back to higher ground where they could so a lot of the Entente attacks from 1915 onwards on the Western Front had to go uphill. I think there is arguably a case for Germany to have one level of Trench Tech more than other nations because of this. I agree that there was much more movement on the Eastern Front and trench networks were less developed than on the Western Front.

quote:

In game, everyone does "BITE & HOLD" which was done in mid/late war by Germans and Canadians/Anzac on western front. You push, dig in and wait for the counter-attack and do attrition from a position of strength.

What can change the game is restricting Entrenchments in the east to 2/3 at most and delaying all entrenchment techs till December 1914, the first tech (technically level 2 of entrenchments) automatically awarded to all majors by event (reducing some 50/100 MPP), then onwards you research more tech. So, level 4 and above trenches will come only from late 1915 or early 1916.

An interesting alternative to what we have now but I am not sure that is something that anyone would be able to mod unless they really knew what they were doing. The most I can do is change a few numbers in the boxes and adjust a few terrain hexes.

quote:

Further, Artillery potency needs to be reduced or shell supply crippled till mid 1915 and event artillery disabled for all (all artillery to be purchased and transported by spending MPP).

Yes, artillery is still the main issue for me.

quote:

This will make the game more historical (but also a bit boring) as 1915 will be minor sniping and attrition and big battles/breakthrough in the west will start only from 1916.
This will also weaken all minors, Italy, Austria, Ottomans and Russia against German attacks or Entente attacks (mainly British attacks).

Yes, we have to be careful not to lock the game up too much. A lot of the fronts were fairly static in 1915 in real life though. The Western Front, the Caucasus Front, the Alpine Front and Palestine. The area where there was the biggest movement was the Eastern Front. And, of course, the naval war was very important too, particularly submarines.

< Message edited by stockwellpete -- 1/21/2021 10:35:52 AM >

(in reply to shri)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Should Mulhausen be a fortified town? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI