Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GMH useless?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> GMH useless? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GMH useless? - 8/16/2003 5:59:43 AM   
customer717

Okay, help me appreciate these things. So far it seems like they do okay damage, but have a good chance of never hitting. All the enemy seems to need to do is pop a flare and now the GMH is near useless.

Maybe it is just that I am using green pilots still, but as soon as flares go off, to hit goes down to 2-8% even in fired between movement.

Why would I want to use these missles or the mechs that seem to have lots of them?
Post #: 1
- 8/16/2003 7:02:08 AM   
Iskandar

yeah, GMH's are fairly useless unless you have a jock with fairly high Guided skills (around 70 or so). Remember min range is 5, so make sure you aren't standing inside of that.

You want to have an easier time hitting though? These things are HEAT guided. Targetting a hot enemy is much much easier, flares or not. So, back up your GMH Titan with a Titan equipped with Flamethrowers and Napalm Missles. A Titan that is at Heat Level Red will generally give you 70% success rate with GMH's.

(I prefer GME's, at any rate. 9 points of damage, no min range, and target Titans with active shields and ECM with bonus's to hit. Plus flares have no effect.)

(in reply to customer717)
Post #: 2
- 8/16/2003 12:43:07 PM   
LarkinVB

GMH's fairly useless ??? GMH's only usefull with 70+ skill ??? Hit % reduced when flares are launched ???

It seems its time for some netgames to teach you some lessons. GMH's are a support titans dream come true. You can be pretty sure that you are missing something when your teams support section is without GMH's.

Post #: 3
- 8/16/2003 2:53:44 PM   
LarkinVB

Here are some numbers :

1. Biggest range in the game.
2. On a hit usually ALL missiles will do damage.
3. No basic to hit penalty.
4. Targets heat/15 % to hit bonus.
5. Speed killer. most weapons get a hit penalty of spped/5, GMH have speed/8.
6. Best indirect firing weapon.

Its one of the most accurate weapons in the game. Of course NOT when the enemy is inside your minimum range. Therefore its called a support weapon as you won't stand a chance with GMH alone in a duel against chainsaws at point blank.

Note that flares won't reduce to hit % but the amount of missiles which do hit.

Post #: 4
- 8/16/2003 4:27:31 PM   
PrinceCorrin

I found them totally useless in a duel. I will try them as support in a team, but I must admit I am extremely disappointed with them so far. See also my rantings in the After Action Reports about this.

I see your lips moving, but all I hear is: Blah Blah Blah, I'm a friggin moron.

Post #: 5
- 8/16/2003 8:54:59 PM   
Black Knight

GMHs are NOT useless! If your Jock has a bad indirect fire skill (as bad as my English :D ), and he doesnt see the enemy directly, the hit percentage will suffer. Try to get a good position on a hill or a mountain from where the jock is able to see enemies from farther away then normally possible. I hope this helps.

Post #: 6
- 8/17/2003 12:30:35 AM   
LarkinVB

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PrinceCorrin
[B]I found them totally useless in a duel. I will try them as support in a team, but I must admit I am extremely disappointed with them so far. See also my rantings in the After Action Reports about this. [/B][/QUOTE]

Look at this picture where a standing, elite tentakel can attack another running tentakel at 19 HEXES distance.

Note that the tentakel has a green scan and the enemy had no E.C.M. but considering the enemy also is as cold as ice I don't find these numbers useless. In fact I'm pretty sure no other wepon can beat them.

[IMG]http://www.titansofsteel.de/images/gmh.jpg[/IMG]

Post #: 7
- 8/17/2003 2:02:58 AM   
Iskandar

yup. I actually knew that.

still and all, GMH's are better used by a bit more experienced jock, IMHO. They really are wasted on a Green (or, to some degree, Novice) jock.

And my other point still stands. Back a Pariah up with an Inferno (or, if you are fairly desperate, a Fireball will work as well.) I've seen numbers as high as 80 something from a range of ten hexes, despite ECM, with a Guided skill somewhere in the high 60's.

You want to see GMH's used very well? Wait for the "Android Rebellion" campaign, I think mission 5 or so, the big flat map with the pool of lava in the middle. You got to cross a lot of ground, quickly, and standing across the way are several GMH Titans, and no cover.

Frickin' evil that was.

Post #: 8
- 8/17/2003 2:49:03 AM   
LarkinVB

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iskandar
[B]yup. I actually knew that.

still and all, GMH's are better used by a bit more experienced jock, IMHO. They really are wasted on a Green (or, to some degree, Novice) jock.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Wrong. Since they have the best to hit % at long to medium REGARDLESS of jock skill they are not wasted. My own squad leader (hero, of course) is GMH jock from the very beginning and was usefull from recon to assault.

They are even more effective against recons/lights which are your opponents at green rank due to their reduced penalty for speed and the lack of E.C.M./flares in most of these titans.

I find it interesting that players with little WS battle experience (compared to 300+) are so damned sure in their statements which they can barley back up with real data.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> GMH useless? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI