1) Night missions are not explained. Whats the purpose of night missions? For example night fighters: Do they only make sense when using with bombers flying at night? In the commander´s report night fighters have a special filter option but there are no night bombers. Is the night a "special" battlefield were only planes assigned to night (or day & night) fight against each other? Are night fighters special trained or can I convert any fighter to a night fighter without any penalties?
On Night missions and Night Fighters:
- No aircraft are limited to night-only missions. A night mission is the confluence of two settings: 1) when you create or edit a air directive (Strategic Bombing, Ground Attack, Superiority), there's a option to set it to Day or Night; and 2) for each air group you can set Mission Setting to Day & Night, Night Only, Day Only, Train, or Rest. As long as air groups are set to either 0 or 1, they can fly night missions.
- Any strategic bombing group can fly night missions, and there is no special training that improves night bombing effectiveness (unlike FB groups that are trained for either Fighter or Bomber). It appears FB-F groups can escort Night bombing missions.
- Superiority AD's have an option to fly Day or "Night Intruder". In the setting they do interceptions but also target enemy aircraft as they're landing. Allied Night Intruder missions are really designed for this.
- Fighters, including Night Fighters, can escort bombing missions. I typically include one Night Fighter squadron with each night bombing mission, but not always
The best Allied use of NF's is to set up Night Intruder AD's. I create an AD in the Hamburg area and one between Hannover and the Ruhr. Make each size 6 so you overlap a lot of German airbases. Make sure you change Day to Night Intruder. I assign two air groups, and set a Req AC of 12. Also make sure Friendly Air Phase only, as you want to rest them during the German turn. If any German NF's come up to attack your night bombing AD's, you have a good chance of getting kills from the Night intruders.
I believe the NF pilots come from a specialized NF fighter pool, so they don't draw from the FB, Rec, or LB pools.
Also, NF's can't do ground attack missions as a bomber, they can only fly day or night Superiority or escort on day or night Strategic and Ground Attack AD's.
< Message edited by cfulbright -- 1/18/2021 4:11:11 PM >