Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[SOLVED] Unit selection from the flyout not working well

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> [SOLVED] Unit selection from the flyout not working well Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[SOLVED] Unit selection from the flyout not working well - 1/15/2021 8:53:58 PM   
juntoalmar

Hi,
I have installed the game again and updated to 3.0.2. I'm using Win10.

I have noticed that most of the times I try to use 2 units from the flyout for land combat it doesn't work. I can select both of them (they are marked with blue background) but when I move the mouse cursor out of the flyout either nothing happens (I can't use them to attack) or the units get deselected and the flyout closes.

If I try many times, eventually I can do it (maybe it works 1 out of 6 times). If I select only 1 unit from the flyout, it's still problematic but it seems to me that there are better chances of it working properly.

It's not a blocking bug, as I can drag the units directly from the map, or try repeatedly from the flyout, but it's pretty annoying as I use the flyout a lot.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by juntoalmar -- 1/23/2021 1:19:07 PM >

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Post #: 1
RE: Unit selection from the flyout not working well - 1/21/2021 7:48:30 PM   
juntoalmar

Does the silence mean that it only happens to me? I was expecting more people suffering of the same problem.

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 2
RE: Unit selection from the flyout not working well - 1/21/2021 8:27:38 PM   
Angeldust2

Maybe it is because you are using 3.0.2 and most other active players have moved on to more recent versions? So if they do not experience the same problem, they are unsure if it is something already fixed, even if not mentioned explicitly in the change log?

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 3
RE: Unit selection from the flyout not working well - 1/21/2021 11:34:36 PM   
Joseignacio

Could be, I am playing 4.xx as well, still don't know if I regret.

(in reply to Angeldust2)
Post #: 4
RE: Unit selection from the flyout not working well - 1/22/2021 12:53:26 PM   
juntoalmar

Could be. I thought 4.xx was beta (and unstable).

Still, I guess people playing with v4 would probably have played with 3.0.2 when released, and this bug is immediately noticeable (makes the flyout unusable to select units to move/attack)

(in reply to Angeldust2)
Post #: 5
RE: Unit selection from the flyout not working well - 1/22/2021 4:09:10 PM   
Joseignacio

Any version of MWIF is unstable, up to a point, there are always all these crashes here and there, the graphic glitches, and the things not working as they should according to rules.

However, 4,2,1.2 is not crashing all the time in my experience, in spite of a name "beta" that gave me the creeps. I am told that some things seem to have worsened from the previous, dont recall if production or what. Production is really wrong.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 1/22/2021 6:31:55 PM >

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 6
RE: Unit selection from the flyout not working well - 1/22/2021 7:55:41 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

Hi,
I have installed the game again and updated to 3.0.2. I'm using Win10.

I have noticed that most of the times I try to use 2 units from the flyout for land combat it doesn't work. I can select both of them (they are marked with blue background) but when I move the mouse cursor out of the flyout either nothing happens (I can't use them to attack) or the units get deselected and the flyout closes.

If I try many times, eventually I can do it (maybe it works 1 out of 6 times). If I select only 1 unit from the flyout, it's still problematic but it seems to me that there are better chances of it working properly.

It's not a blocking bug, as I can drag the units directly from the map, or try repeatedly from the flyout, but it's pretty annoying as I use the flyout a lot.

I am not sure what is happening here. Since it works for you some of the time, let me take a guess, ...

Many Windows applications (and war games) use "drag and drop" to move objects (e.g., files). That system requires the player to select an object and then continue holding the mouse button down while he moves to a new destination (drag) and then release the mouse button to 'drop' the object in the new location.

MWIF does not use drag and drop to move units. Instead, the player selects a unit (left mouse click) and releases the mouse button. Then he moves the mouse cursor to a destination and uses left click a second time to 'drop' the unit in the new location.

Perhaps you are using your previous 'training' of drag and drop for other applications and trying to apply it for MWIF. That can cause problems.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 7
RE: Unit selection from the flyout not working well - 1/23/2021 1:26:04 PM   
juntoalmar

Thanks Steve. Your answer gave me a hint of what the problem could be. It's completely unrelated to MWiF.

Since I reinstalled the game I've been playing in a new laptop which I've noticed has a very sensitive mouse pad. When I read your comment, I suspected that this could be issue. After selecting the units from the flyout, to move the pointer you have to put your finger again in the pad. If it's too sensitive it may sense it as a "click", and the movement as a "click & drag", so probably the OS was sending a "drag" event to the game.

I have connected a traditional mouse to test my hypothesis and it has worked perfectly.

Thanks for your answer, and sorry for the "false positive" bug report.

As always, great work with the game! I'm teaching these two friends of mine who bought it recently (I always recommend it) and hopefully we will engage in a MP soon.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> [SOLVED] Unit selection from the flyout not working well Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI