Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Surface fired Chaff

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Surface fired Chaff Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Surface fired Chaff - 1/15/2021 9:33:12 AM   
Parel803

Still trying to learn in this amazing game, how it all works. A question on chaff is I may:
- Does it matter on countering ASM's if I load Chaff D(Destraction) and/or S(Seduction)? As it is done by the AI of the game.
- Can I get another uit into harms way by incorrect firing of chaff, For example in front of my consort or HVU?
- I see my unit manouvre when ASM inbound, is that also for optimum wind for chaff firings?

with regards GJ

if it is in documentation, I do apologize and ask for guidance towards that docs.
Post #: 1
RE: Surface fired Chaff - 1/15/2021 10:24:19 AM   
p1t1o

As far as I know, with decoy chaff used in this way, the chaff doesnt exist in the sim as a discrete object, but it is used as a factor in weapon endgame calculations. You can see the effect in the messages window if you have endgame calcs turned on. Essentially, if chaff is used (it is launched automatically if present) it is an extra dice-roll in the to-hit calcs. Its effectiveness therefore is not affected by the disposition of the ship. Basically if a unit has chaff, you have a slightly higher chance of dodging radar guided weapons, until it is exhausted. Same for aircraft.

You cant manually launch decoy chaff, so you cant really "get a unit in harms way" by improper usage. However, it is sometimes possible (weapon dependent) for a weapon that misses to hit a target beyond, but this is possible under any miss circumstances, not just those that involve chaff.

As far as I know, unit manouvre is solely evasive. Endgame calcs use relative target heading as a factor in to-hit probability, with head-on and tail-on being easiest to hit and 90-degrees side-on hardest to hit. The ship will also accelerate to Flank, as faster = harder to hit too. Wind and chaff do not affect the evasion manouvre.

There is a seperate use for chaff - aircraft can "dispense chaff", a seperate function from automatic decoy chaff, but uses the same on-board chaff resource. This type can be launched manually and appears as an object in-sim. Aircraft flying through this chaff are harder to detect with radar - they have their detection range decreased. Note that this technique is largely obsolete today, it will be most useful in scenarios set pre-1980 or thereabouts.

One thing I am not sure about is the difference between distraction and seduction chaff. I presume they perform the same function in-sim but Im not sure.

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 2
RE: Surface fired Chaff - 1/15/2021 11:49:16 AM   
Parel803

p1t1o, thank you very much for your time and the reply. Appriciated.

with regards GJ

(in reply to p1t1o)
Post #: 3
RE: Surface fired Chaff - 1/15/2021 12:45:13 PM   
Dimitris

Hi,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Parel803
- Does it matter on countering ASM's if I load Chaff D(Destraction) and/or S(Seduction)? As it is done by the AI of the game.

Not at the moment, no.

quote:

- Can I get another unit into harms way by incorrect firing of chaff, For example in front of my consort or HVU?

Yes. Some of the missiles have a re-attack capability and will circle around if they are decoyed the first time around or they miss; during this circle, they may acquire some other ship and home against it instead.

quote:

- I see my unit manouvre when ASM inbound, is that also for optimum wind for chaff firings?

No, they do that in order to unmask point-defence weapons or countermeasures launchers.

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 4
RE: Surface fired Chaff - 1/15/2021 1:13:53 PM   
Parel803

Dimitris,

All understood, thank you for yor time and answering my Q's. Make sense for the game.

with regards GJ

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Surface fired Chaff Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI