Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Put CMO in your CMO: Has anybody integrated the Athena sociocultural simulation?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Put CMO in your CMO: Has anybody integrated the Athena sociocultural simulation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Put CMO in your CMO: Has anybody integrated the Athena ... - 1/14/2021 6:46:49 PM   
francisregan

Hello, I'm new to CMO and getting familiar with its capabilities. Curious to know whether anybody may have already developed some tools to integrate civil-domain simulation elements (e.g. criminal networks, insurgencies, sociocultural dynamics, etc.).

Specifically— I'd like to explore integrating NASA/JPL's Athena simulation [new account; can't post links yet] to more effectively model Civil-Military Operations (CMO) within the Command: Modern Operations (CMO) universe. NASA/JPL had released the source code to a previous version a few years ago, available on GitHub and written in Tool Command Language (Tcl/Tk) at [new account; can't post links yet].

My tentative plan, as somebody who doesn't (yet) know either Tcl/Tk or Lua:
1. Compile Athena from GitHub source to a Docker container
2. Determine which Athena model elements could map effectively to already-existing elements within CMO
3. Start building a plugin with Lua to achieve bare minimum functionality
4. Continue developing from there

Would greatly appreciate any advice, and/or any pointers to similar work already done along these lines, thanks!!
Post #: 1
RE: Put CMO in your CMO: Has anybody integrated the Ath... - 1/15/2021 12:19:49 AM   
KnightHawk75

You're gonna need pro version if want to be able to use lua to access or trade info with anything external, be that at a network level or, even just files, by default CMO public version super restricts lua's ability to use anything besides it's code (no external modules, no io access, etc).

If you have it though, sounds like a wild project, then again the githug doc page links for lots of stuff seem to missing.

(in reply to francisregan)
Post #: 2
RE: Put CMO in your CMO: Has anybody integrated the Ath... - 1/15/2021 1:02:54 AM   
Rory Noonan

KnightHawk75 is correct, TCP and I/O is restricted in the civilian/retail version.

The methodology (Docker container communicating with Command via TCP) is sound for Command: Professional Edition though.

The closest I've seen to this outside of C:PE is abstracted political stability systems. They're from my own work so I'm biased, but I think they worked reasonably well for game style scenarios. You can use either the inbuilt scoring system, or create your own using keyvalues or some other way to store the data between saves (though keyvalues are the technical best way, some people are more comfortable with more imaginitive approaches). Feel free to use/modify Lua code from any of my scenarios

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 3
RE: Put CMO in your CMO: Has anybody integrated the Ath... - 1/15/2021 4:50:25 PM   
francisregan

Thanks KH & Rory! I will reach out to Matrix about CMO/PE licensing. Then over to PowerPoint so I can justify it to my boss...

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Put CMO in your CMO: Has anybody integrated the Athena sociocultural simulation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI