Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Earth loses gravity. Details at 11:00

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Earth loses gravity. Details at 11:00 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Earth loses gravity. Details at 11:00 - 1/14/2021 2:34:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

T19, Opening Announcement
Dr. Brian and I have been playing against each other for several years now and we decided to see what RGW 1941-1945 played like and I'm the Axis player. I'm not doing all that well and Brian has been doing an outstanding job holding me back. I've advanced to the point where I'm running out of the good supply areas. I'm going to have to hold what I've got and wait for several turns until the supply levels rise enough to allow further operations. That's realistic, a good simulation of what really happened in the real thing.

T19, Air War Status
I've been doing a lot of airfield attacks on his bombers and my aircraft losses are mounting and I'm going to have to review my aerial offensive policy because the prima facia evidence is that doing that isn't sustainable long term. I've lost 183 Me-109F's and there's still 970 of them assigned. I've lost 225 Ju-87B's and there's only 158 of them still assigned. I've been going after his BB's with them and it's getting expensive to do that. I've lost 154 He-111's and there's only 628 of them still assigned. I've lost 273 Ju-88A4's and I'm down to my my last 621 of them remaining.

Leningrad
I'm on the brink of capturing Leningrad but the going is hard because of the lack of adequate supply. I'm getting pounded by the Soviet CD guns based around the city proper. And my LCU losses are mounting. My Finns are bombarding the Soviets with their arty each turn and every once in a while they will probe the Soviet lines with a minimum-losses setting. Dr. Brian has lots of fighters based close to the city and his airfilelds up there have AA units on them which makes it expensive to attack them.
I have attacked his BB's twice now and lost double-digits worth of Stuka's in each attempt. I'm tempted to leave them alone and let them dissappear when I capture Leningrad finally.

Long term goal: I'm thinking of building a large wall from Leningrad to Sevastopol to keep the Soviets out and making the Mexicans pay for it. But only because I'm a stable genius.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/9/2021 12:43:16 AM >

Want to know how to make an anthropologist mad? Just hand him a used tampon and ask him what period it came from. Paleolithic, Precambrian, etc.
Post #: 1
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 ( Dr. Brian vs. Larry ) - 1/14/2021 4:23:30 PM   
larryfulkerson

T19, Leningrad
Here's what it looks like in the Leningrad area. I've got some weak areas in my front lines but for the most part I'm comfortable with the configuration I have. The supply level is too low for sustained operations though so I'm trying to advance here in slow motion. Those units that are yellow and red are going to stay that way for several turns. I'm trying to do the left hook to isolate the Leningrad area from the rest of Russia to prevent the railing of any more Soviet troops and equipment into this AO.

Attachment (1)

Want to know how to make an anthropologist mad? Just hand him a used tampon and ask him what period it came from. Paleolithic, Precambrian, etc.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 ( Dr. Brian vs. Larry ) - 1/14/2021 4:45:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

Staraya Russa
Here's the area south of Leningrad and as you can see there's lots of weak spots and areas that are open for transit. I need to fix all those before this area will be secure. But again the supply level is too low to do much moving around or attacking. I'm going to have to just hold onto what I have here for a while to permit the supply level to rise to a level that will sustain operations.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 ( Dr. Brian vs. Larry ) - 1/14/2021 4:54:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

Moscow
Here's what it looks like around Moscow right now. I have lots of weak spots and open areas and as critical as this area is you'd think I'd have more units than there are present. I'm going to rail some troops from somewhere up here to help out. I have no idea where they will come from as most every unit I have is already performing important tasks. I even have some engineer units on the front line and that's costing me a lot of engineers. Engineers that I really can't afford to lose this way. And my MP and Security units are employed converting hexes or else I would try to use those instead. If the front lines stabilize I may be able to substitute other units for the engineers.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 ( Dr. Brian vs. Larry ) - 1/14/2021 5:04:07 PM   
larryfulkerson

Bryansk
I suppose I have the most units in the Bryansk area. And it feels like I need all of them to hold the Soviets back. I'm finding that the more units I get across the river the more units that I need to advance. The supply levels on the east side of the river fall off a cliff though, so I can't advance very far. I'm going to have to just hold what I have and cancel the advance for about a game-turn month to allow the supply level to grow enough to permit operations. The railhead is so far away that at least a month will be needed I'm guessing.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 ( Dr. Brian vs. Larry ) - 1/14/2021 5:14:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

Kiev
Here's the Kiev area and you can see that I'm only getting started in getting my units on the east side of the river. Actually the supply level around Kiev is sufficient for sustained operations and I've been bombarding the Soviet stacks with my long-range arty and probing them with my LCU's, which I discovered is expensive in terms of troops and equipment. I have to be careful which Soviet stack I attack with my aircraft because Dr. Brian has some AAA units in several of his stacks.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 ( Dr. Brian vs. Larry ) - 1/14/2021 7:16:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

Sevastopol
Here's what's going on in the south. I'm breaking into the Crimea and I'm fighting to get a bigger foothold at D-town. Z-town is still holding however. I'm probably going to have to get some troops on the east side of the city to discourage the defenders. The supply level down here is dreadful.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 ( Dr. Brian vs. Larry ) - 1/22/2021 12:52:36 AM   
larryfulkerson

T22, Leningrad
I got a news item that said that -5 was being applied to the Axis supply as part of the start of supply problems that the Axis is going to suffer from now on. The crisis in supply is only just now starting and my advance is going to come to a halt in several places. It's especially bad in the south.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 ( Dr. Brian vs. Larry ) - 1/25/2021 5:21:52 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the front lines in T24 and it hasn't changed all that much since T20. I'm running into substantial Soviet units all over the map and the advance has halted in several places so far. Reinforcements are sparce and infrequent. The supply levels at the front lines are very low. It's September and the weather is unpredictable. It gets cold at night so that by the morning you can see your breath when you exhale and there's a heavy layer of dew on all the equipment. All the aircraft are green except one squadron of Ju-87's that attacked last turn. I've moved them adjacent to OKH at Riga to rest. The struggle has changed character in that the Soviet stacks are formidable and my troops are stretched thin and I expect the Soviets to punch a hole in my lines any turn now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/25/2021 5:22:02 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 ( Dr. Brian vs. Larry ) - 2/1/2021 2:58:41 AM   
larryfulkerson

T26, Current Supply levels
I'm posting this image to show how low the supply levels are just north of Kiev right now. The rails are having a problem getting anywhere close to where I need them. I'm going to have to review my RR engineer deployment policy. But the good news is that all my aircraft are in the green. The air losses meter says I've lost 1 aircraft and that the Soviets have lost 14 and this is just after I've opened the turn....I haven't moved anybody yet. Notice anything unusual about the terrain in the image below? There are no airfields close to the front lines. I'll have to get across the river here before I'll have any access to any closer airfields. I'm fighting to get across the river on a broad front and I'm wondering if I ought to instead concentrate my forces on a place where I've gotten a foothold south of the river and expand out from there. Unfortunately, the supply levels are too low to do more than probe here and there. I've been bombarding the Soviet units with my arty to soften them up for several turns now and they aren't decreasing in strength very fast. I think maybe I should drop the Soviet bridges supplying this AO if possible to persuade them to pull back. There can't be more than about two dozen bridges to drop. I'll have to look into that.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Earth loses gravity. Details at 11:00 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI