Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation 1963-66 & Sunda Straits crisis

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

LaughingBuccaneer

Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation 1963-66 & Sunda Straits crisis

Post by LaughingBuccaneer »

Here's a confrontation that is begging to be done by our scenario modding community,
an earlier Commonweath confrontation from the 1960's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia ... frontation

In particular this 'what if' concerning the disputed passage of the British aircraft carrier
HMS Victorious through the Sunda Straits called the Sunda Straits Crisis between August and
September 1964.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunda_Straits_Crisis
honanhal

RE: Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation 1963-66 & Sunda Straits crisis

Post by honanhal »

YES! I've long thought the Sunda Straits Crisis was crying out for a scenario, too. From time to time I tinker with putting something together, but I'm no scenario builder...

If anyone is looking at doing this, I have a fair amount of research material saved that I'd be happy to send over.
LaughingBuccaneer

Post by LaughingBuccaneer »

ORIGINAL: honanhal

YES! I've long thought the Sunda Straits Crisis was crying out for a scenario, too. From time to time I tinker with putting something together, but I'm no scenario builder...

If anyone is looking at doing this, I have a fair amount of research material saved that I'd be happy to send over.

I agree the Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation 1963-66 & Sunda Strait as well as the earlier clash with the
Netherlands over the annexation of Netherlands New Guinea makes for a nice unexplored proxy Cold War
conflict; particulary as Indonesia had an awful lot of military assistance from the Soviet Union
and her Warsaw Pact allies.

Just look at the scale of Soviet equipment bought by Indonesia for the start of the conflict.
Namely 41 Mi-4 and nine Mi-6 helicopters, 30 MiG-15, 49 MiG-17, ten MiG-19 and 20 MiG-21 fighter jets,
12 Whiskey-class submarines, 12 Komar-class missile boats, and one ex-Soviet Navy Sverdlov-class
cruiser which was renamed the KRI Irian). Of the types of bombers, there were 22 Ilyushin Il-28
light bombers, 14 Tu-16 long-range medium bombers, and 12 maritime versions of Tu-16 aircraft
equipped to launch the AS-1 Kennel anti-ship missiles.
Of the types of transport aircraft, there were 26 IL-14 and AQvia-14 light transport aircraft,
six Antonov An-12 heavy transports, and ten C-130 Hercules tactical transport aircraft.

Operation Trikora also makes interesting reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Trikora

Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Forum Member Jorm did an Operation Trikora scenario for COMANO but for whatever reason, it never made it into the Community Scenario packages. There were some minor issues noted but I found it entertaining, what with Seahawks and Hunters and Neptunes Oh My.

The scenario may be found here:

Operation Trikora

-C

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”