Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allow upgrade for everything/replacement just uselss detail

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Allow upgrade for everything/replacement just uselss detail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allow upgrade for everything/replacement just uselss de... - 1/12/2021 8:51:22 PM   
zgrssd

For any gear but basic infantry the Upgrade option is not availible. Instead we have to go through all that hassle of replacement:
- Build a subunit with of the new type
- set toe old design up so it will only be tollerated
- wait 1 turn for Reinforcements to send the new unit out and the old one to return
- swap the gear (this might be automated soon)
- scrap the old gear on the low XP troops

There are two issues with that:
1. Of course we can upgrade gear, at least within a model line!
The A1 Abrams had:
It's gun replaced, for the 105mm M68A1 rifled gun to the 120mm M256 smoothbore gun. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams#Primary
It had it's armor replaced. It went from Chobham (a composite armor in game terms) to steel/depleted Uranium mix at the cost of relevant weight increase: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams#Armor
And they are planning to replacing the engine as well, to one more fuel efficient (and a lot more stealthy on thermal), once they find one for it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams#Mobility

And those were on top of the minor upgrades of sensors, internal systems, camouflage, secondary weapons.

2. Under the hood Upgrade should be doing the exact same thing that we are doing manually with repalce:
- builds the replacement gear
- ships it out
- swaps out gear on the units in the field
- retrieves the previous gear
- scraps the previous gear to get some of the material back

So upgrade is really just a Replace with less micromanagement. It is a convenience feature. Why could it not be avalible for all gear? Let it cost twice the units weight in logistics, but please just give us the option to do that.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/12/2021 8:52:35 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Allow upgrade for everything/replacement just usels... - 1/13/2021 12:14:38 AM   
Luckspeare

What I don't understand is why we have to (1) have recruits, ready and trained, pulled from garrison (2) to establish new units to man the obsolete equipment, then (3) release those recruits back into the population in order to scrap the equipment.

My own take on it -- I can handle the first two, just in case someone wants to keep running units on the old vehicles, but why (3)? Why not send them back into the recruit pool?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
RE: Allow upgrade for everything/replacement just usels... - 1/13/2021 10:38:10 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

My own take on it -- I can handle the first two, just in case someone wants to keep running units on the old vehicles, but why (3)? Why not send them back into the recruit pool?

I kinda asumed they would go back into the recruit pool. Never realy looked at it.

As for keeping the gear: That should really be a model question. Maybe Vic could change obsolete to scrap the gear but no longer drag it out of units?

(in reply to Luckspeare)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Allow upgrade for everything/replacement just uselss detail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI