Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[1.07.01] Snow Terrain Bug?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> [1.07.01] Snow Terrain Bug? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[1.07.01] Snow Terrain Bug? - 1/10/2021 5:21:48 PM   
redrum68

It appears that snow overrides part of the underlying terrain where according the the manual it should just be adding additional movement costs. An example is "plains sand" can become "plains snow" which changes a lot more than just the movement costs. The manual would seem to indicate that is should become "plains sand snow" and just add extra movement costs to that "plains sand" terrain.

This has a major impact then on tank/motorized combat modifiers as "plains sand" gives significant malus while "plains snow" does not.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redrum68 -- 1/10/2021 5:30:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: [1.07.01] Snow Terrain Bug? - 1/10/2021 7:12:15 PM   
jimwinsor

I did observe in a recent game snow caused marshes to freeze over (ie, the marshes actually disappeared), making road/rail much cheaper to build. So I got in the habit of waiting for winter to do my rail building ... which I'm not sure is entirely unrealistic.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 2
RE: [1.07.01] Snow Terrain Bug? - 1/10/2021 7:19:00 PM   
redrum68

Yeah it causes weird impacts to road/rail building costs and to terrain combat modifiers.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 3
RE: [1.07.01] Snow Terrain Bug? - 1/10/2021 7:42:12 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

I did observe in a recent game snow caused marshes to freeze over (ie, the marshes actually disappeared), making road/rail much cheaper to build. So I got in the habit of waiting for winter to do my rail building ... which I'm not sure is entirely unrealistic.

Also winter can cause rivers to freeze over, making them a non-issued (I think).

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 4
RE: [1.07.01] Snow Terrain Bug? - 1/10/2021 8:58:36 PM   
LeoMPanther

Except that when the snow melts again the rail would become useless when it loses its solid foundations, so logically the rails should collapse when the snow disappears.
Aside from that, while watching Dastactic playing we noticed that high sand dunes also get turned into snow plains, this doesn't seem right. Sure it is neat that you can build cheap rail and road, but snow shouldn't be that much of a great equalizer of terrain.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
RE: [1.07.01] Snow Terrain Bug? - 1/10/2021 9:06:04 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeoMPanther

Except that when the snow melts again the rail would become useless when it loses its solid foundations, so logically the rails should collapse when the snow disappears.
Aside from that, while watching Dastactic playing we noticed that high sand dunes also get turned into snow plains, this doesn't seem right. Sure it is neat that you can build cheap rail and road, but snow shouldn't be that much of a great equalizer of terrain.

Clearly they have some way to make a stable rail-line through Swamps. No idea what it is, but they do.
And doing that is a lot easier when the swamp is frozen, rather then swampy!

When teh swamp is swampy, they have to reinforce the rail line itself and the places the building machines and material are parked. The area that needs reinforcement is a lot bigger then just the rail line.
When it is frozen, they only need to reinforce the tracks themself. Much cheaper to do :)

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/10/2021 9:07:01 PM >

(in reply to LeoMPanther)
Post #: 6
RE: [1.07.01] Snow Terrain Bug? - 1/10/2021 9:10:01 PM   
zgrssd

FYI, as a general rule warfare in history did not happen in Winter. It is too hard to forrage or march.

So when it does happen in winter, it is propably because the winter froze over some swamp, seperated the enemy or otherwise allowed the combat to happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvh1H0HkhI8
https://youtu.be/T2571JUYAlI

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> [1.07.01] Snow Terrain Bug? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI