A private farm dome III uses a total of 39,200 population and generates 900 Private Food/100 Public Food for a total of 1000 food.
900 Private Food only feeds 90,000 population! This means over 43% of the private sector must be agricultural labor.
Even if you use hyperefficient hydroponics and turn on "allow emergency food" the Private Sector AI will do nothing but build private farms until it can feed all non-government employees from private sector production.
If you use open air farming and have max areal area (which takes decades of time in-game) you "only" need 23% of your private sector labor farming, but that's still absurd when IRL less than 1% of the population can feed the other 99%. Sure, I get early game the farmers are probably doing things manually, but if I can manufacture highspeed railroads and fusion power plants, I want to see less than 10% of my population in agriculture.
And that's not always practical, it's pretty common to get a starting city sandwiched between mountain ranges and otherwise unfarmable terrain, or non-habitable starts...
39,200 needed to feed 90,000 population seems perfectly fine.
Keep in mind the input/output ratio improoves with higher tier buildings.
And that the private buildings costs you 0 Energy and Water upkeep.
And hydroponics is inherently less efficient then open air farming.
You seem to be going from our current, modern figures of < 5% of population in agriculture.
You need to look at older figures/3rd world nations. At wich point 43% seems low compared to the up to 90%!
Half the worlds countries would LOVE to have a farming employment percentage as good as 43%!
Shadow Empires are in a lot of regards more like a 3rd World nation on a alien planet, then a fully industrialized society.
On Techlevel 3, you have not even figured out how to build tanks, RPG's and Personal armor yet.
< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/8/2021 9:46:49 AM >