Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/9/2021 10:45:44 PM   
Chernobyl

I just noticed this but did you guys know there's an "impassable" setting for terrain in the editor?

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 61
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/10/2021 2:12:04 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chernobyl

I just noticed this but did you guys know there's an "impassable" setting for terrain in the editor?

I'm aware of these two types of impassable terrain tiles...but they don't seem very aesthetically pleasing plopped into the Alps. If there was a mountain hex that had the same properties...it could be considered...Or, did you find a way to alter the properties of a terrain tile? I haven't got that far into the weeds yet with the editor.....

I do like the 'high mountain' hexes though...default 3 entrenchment..which means detachments can hold it, and that sounds realistic too. The supply is rough, but if an aggressor wanted to take the heights..it could result in a hardcore fight for the lofty peaks..which is also desirable :))

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 2/10/2021 3:16:51 AM >

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 62
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/10/2021 2:28:09 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

So what is going on with artillery? Why has neither side karted over one of those monsters? Care to elaborate? :)

I missed this somehow...

Well, at first, this test wanted to find out whether the Italians could roll over Trento in 1915 as easily as they do in vanilla. Obviously they can't with this proposed fix. I did run both sides full campaign till around April 1915, when my friend Dark Taboo took over the CP.

All the artillery that's been built for both sides is deployed on the Western and Eastern Fronts...and one AH arty is in Serbia. Now that Serbia is fini come Aug 1915..I would bet a KuK artillery would show up to help them take Udine. I have this last Entente turn saved...and we could start running it again when he comes back up here next month. We were kind of planning on this anyway because its turning into a fun no-holds-barred campaign where another Gambit may be surprised on me or one that I discover.

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 63
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/10/2021 4:55:50 AM   
mdsmall

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

I'm aware of these two types of impassable terrain tiles...but they don't seem very aesthetically pleasing plopped into the Alps.

In fact, when blown up this way, they look like a burnt hole in a linoleum tile, sitting on top of another linoleum tile!

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 64
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/10/2021 5:08:12 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

quote:

I'm aware of these two types of impassable terrain tiles...but they don't seem very aesthetically pleasing plopped into the Alps.

In fact, when blown up this way, they look like a burnt hole in a linoleum tile, sitting on top of another linoleum tile!

LoL

Could also be two possible crash landing choices to make on Mars.....both bad.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 65
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/10/2021 7:03:54 AM   
Chernobyl

If you click on Campaign -> Edit Movement Cost Data and then search for High Mountain. Click on the down arrow 4 times and the movement cost becomes "impassible"

Post #: 66
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/10/2021 8:38:55 AM   
stockwellpete

quote:

quote:

I'm aware of these two types of impassable terrain tiles...but they don't seem very aesthetically pleasing plopped into the Alps. If there was a mountain hex that had the same properties...it could be considered...Or, did you find a way to alter the properties of a terrain tile? I haven't got that far into the weeds yet with the editor.....

I do like the 'high mountain' hexes though...default 3 entrenchment..which means detachments can hold it, and that sounds realistic too. The supply is rough, but if an aggressor wanted to take the heights..it could result in a hardcore fight for the lofty peaks..which is also desirable :))

Yes, I did try the impassable desert hexes up there in one test - I got to the point where I would consider anything to try and stop the AI Italians trying to seize Salzburg! But it doesn't look good as OCB says. And there would have been some fighting in the Alto Adige during the war and Detachments might be best for that.

The next thing to consider if this test gets the thumbs-up for the Italian front is to look at the Caucasus front and see if there should be any high mountain hexes there. We will need to start a separate thread for that. My first impressions are that the Caucasus range is not as forbidding as the Alps, but Mount Ararat, which is marked on the map, is well over 12,000 feet high, I believe.

< Message edited by stockwellpete -- 2/10/2021 7:34:12 PM >

Post #: 67
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/10/2021 8:41:28 AM   
stockwellpete

quote:

If you click on Campaign -> Edit Movement Cost Data and then search for High Mountain. Click on the down arrow 4 times and the movement cost becomes "impassible"

Thanks for this. The AI won't know what to do when I make this change. Salzburg will be forever beyond its reach.

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 68
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/10/2021 6:52:21 PM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks everyone and I can confirm that the next update will have the Italian AI focus a bit better towards Trieste.

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 69
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/10/2021 7:33:32 PM   
stockwellpete

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Thanks everyone and I can confirm that the next update will have the Italian AI focus a bit better towards Trieste.

Thanks very much, Hubert.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 70
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 2/10/2021 9:31:51 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: stockwellpete

quote:

Thanks very much, Hubert.

Ahhh...the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Well, that will help against the Italian AI steamroll towards Salzburg.

Question is if making Trento a fortress and/or the Alta Adige high mountains is under consideration? (I have a complete 2nd test that seems to support this 1st test that a change will alleviate the usual and almost certain early take down of Trento by the Entente 1n 1915).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 2/11/2021 8:13:54 AM >

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 71
RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit - 3/3/2021 8:19:50 AM   
stockwellpete

quote:

The AI certainly did show more vigour initially in trying to force its way across the Isonzo. But once it took Klagenfurt it veered off northwards towards Salzburg again.

I think I am going to use Chernobyl's fix on my mod so those Alto Adige hexes are impassable. While it may not be 100% accurate it will be better than what happens now every game.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 72
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> RE: Trento and Alpine Front edit Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI