Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during turn processing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during turn processing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during turn ... - 1/2/2021 5:13:28 PM   
ozmono2005

Hi,

So turn times are a problem they simply take too long on some planet setups even with a beastly processor.

There is also a lot going on in this game under the hood that I don't imagine most players would be completely immersing themselves in, atleast not to the full extent of knowledge that the stats and reports combined offers.

So my suggestion is let the players read the beginning (so it doesn't need to wait for ongoing calculations) of last turns reports and statistics whilst the new turn is generated. It would give the player something important to do whilst they wait which would prevent a loss of immersion that long turns usually inflict. I would suggest adding a button to the current turn processing UI so that players who want to see the turn unfold don't miss anything.

Post #: 1
RE: Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during t... - 1/2/2021 5:51:34 PM   
jimwinsor

Yeah, when you get the notification "You have X decisions and YYY reports" I would actually read those YYY reports if I somehow could do so during the AI turn. That would be the perfect time to peruse through them!

Maybe an easy way to do this is, a button that would export all the reports to an outside PDF file? Then while the AI is processing you could read the PDF on another screen. Although admittedly you'd be reading reports of the previous and not upcoming turn.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to ozmono2005)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during t... - 1/2/2021 8:42:42 PM   
Daza99

I like this idea, and it could be optional as it might require a short wait before the turn starts to generate it. Although the data might be slightly out of date as it were, it still would be useful.
I wonder how quickly the game could output a condensed key info pdf or RTF, also a screenshot of the map would be nice too.

There could be some players who would want to compile all of these over the course of their game- if they are playing a epic long campaign and would love to pour over these details in the future.

But the PDF could have info worth looking at while waiting for your turn, such as production outputs for mining and how much resources each has left, food for each zone and their public workers vs jobs, etc. Maybe if this stuff can be dumped quickly enough, the player in the setup of the game can define by ticking what they want in the report. It would be interesting also to read model design logs too. I am no PDF expert but i think its possible for a pdf file to have bookmarks set? some PDF readers automatically displays these on the left panel and you can easily jump to a section in the document, something like that would be nice too so you can jump to model design logs for example.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during t... - 1/3/2021 12:23:13 PM   
Bleek

I like the idea.

Viewing the reports from the previous turn wouldn't require any additional computation. It's all there.

That said, with the current beta my turns aren't taking very long. Less than 30 seconds on a medium sized planet. It certainly doesn't feel slow.

Cpu is a Ryzen 2700X (4.3GHz).

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during t... - 1/3/2021 12:55:02 PM   
Sieppo

Has also come to my mind a few times.

> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 5
RE: Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during t... - 1/3/2021 3:35:41 PM   
ozmono2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleek

I like the idea.

Viewing the reports from the previous turn wouldn't require any additional computation. It's all there.

That said, with the current beta my turns aren't taking very long. Less than 30 seconds on a medium sized planet. It certainly doesn't feel slow.

Cpu is a Ryzen 2700X (4.3GHz).

I'm glad you see the value in the idea regardless.

As for the turn times it depends just as much on the number of factions and population I've found as the map size. I'm playing a small map atm (on the stable build) and it is taking longer than some of my large map runs. I have 5 major factions still in play and I think 2 minor factions. Everyone has a ton of units. That said I have a better processor than yours and the turn times even on a small map are still off putting which is what prompted me to suggest this. Especially since I'd pefer to be playing larger maps.

< Message edited by ozmono2005 -- 1/3/2021 3:36:46 PM >

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 6
RE: Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during t... - 1/3/2021 9:24:53 PM   
KarisFraMauro

30 seconds?! Is the beta actually faster? Or is your computer just amazing... :D Anyway good suggestion, all the stuff displayed during turn processing is pretty irrelevant for the most part compared to the reports. At a minimum it would makes things feel faster.

(in reply to ozmono2005)
Post #: 7
RE: Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during t... - 1/4/2021 2:40:22 PM   
Bleek

I had another idea for this, 'storify' the previous round.

A bit like a news report that you can scroll through onscreen whilst the turn plays out.

For example what battles took place, where/location and the wins/losses, key data points such as logistics.

"The Belgian 1st Light Infantry pushed on the French Imperium's defences 100km south of their city of Paris suffering 1,000 infantry losses. The defenders held fast, giving up no ground. Fuel and ammunition supply remains plentiful for them."

Just an example, but in short the who + what + result + data (if sufficient recon).

The same process could occur as a result of your decisions.

A miner's strike occurred at 'city name' because of 'X' resulting in 'Y'. Leader name + took action + their stance change on things etc.

Just throwing these in the pot.

(in reply to KarisFraMauro)
Post #: 8
RE: Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during t... - 1/4/2021 3:50:11 PM   
Sieppo

quote:

A bit like a news report that you can scroll through onscreen whilst the turn plays out.

For example what battles took place, where/location and the wins/losses, key data points such as logistics.

"The Belgian 1st Light Infantry pushed on the French Imperium's defences 100km south of their city of Paris suffering 1,000 infantry losses. The defenders held fast, giving up no ground. Fuel and ammunition supply remains plentiful for them."

Just an example, but in short the who + what + result + data (if sufficient recon).

A miner's strike occurred at 'city name' because of 'X' resulting in 'Y'. Leader name + took action + their stance change on things etc.

Lovely idea!

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 9
RE: Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during t... - 1/4/2021 7:34:45 PM   
Daza99

quote:

I like this idea too, adds to world building. Also some of your decisions in previous turn ie. you sent in troops to put down a workers strike could have some narrative afterwards report, like maybe some other factions having their opinion on that for and against and also maybe some random private or public building received some intentional or collateral during that fight and is being investigated (i don't think that occurs in the game but would be nice if there was a chance it does- if the news reporting about the strike mentions it).

Other news could be purely fictional, such as a piece about the recent upgrade of the zoo and their new feature animal there, who won a fight at the arena and who was the crowd favorite. Some conditional such as if QOL is way down, there could be articles about some random citizen interviewed anonymously of course; ranting about how the living conditions are poor and also having to put up with the constant sand/cold/heat/radiation on top of all that, and mention even the juveniles are misbehaving even more such as that graffiti that was sprayed on building X.

If there are mutants or slavers in neighboring borders there could be an article about population complaining about their behavior; maybe a family tells of how their son or daughter was abducted by slavers and they want the government to do something and get them back. It would be nice to get some variety in reports even if its the same report there could be sentences and details switched up (pulled out of a pool of possibilities) to make them less stale like the current incidents that occurs with your directors when they drop the ball as it were.

So a lot of these could be trigger based on actual stats/variables, and put into a pool and then only 1 or 2 are chosen and the others used in the next report etc.

I wonder if we could have both ideas; such as the player could be able to interact with the Management button and those sub menus if they want to do so instead or after reading the news feeds..while Ai is doing it's turn.

< Message edited by Daza99 -- 1/4/2021 7:38:11 PM >

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 10
RE: Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during t... - 1/5/2021 3:30:04 AM   
KarisFraMauro

You know, it's not unheard of these days for PC games to get adapted for the small screen and turn out, good? Looking at you Witcher (never played it but I like Henry Cavill). Anyway point is Shadow Empire would lend itself pretty well to a narrative format. Maybe a novel or two to get the ball rolling. If only Iain Banks were still around, sigh...

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestion: View Statistics and/or reports during turn processing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI