Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mods and PBEM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Mods and PBEM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mods and PBEM - 1/2/2021 12:33:54 PM   
Jagger2002

I recently picked up the game and I am having fun learning. I now have both Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad and the new Steam Lock 'n Load Digital with the Vietnam and Libya add on modules.

There seems to be a massive number of mods available for the Heroes game. Any recommendations on the mods? Where to start?

Also how is multiplayer? Is it still active? I assume with the impulse system that games are played live with both players on line.

< Message edited by Jagger2002 -- 1/2/2021 12:34:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Mods and PBEM - 1/2/2021 6:58:01 PM   
asl3d

Hello Jagger2002.

You can really start with whatever module you want.

If it helps, the first historical module I did was Carentan, with the paratroopers from the 101st and the German paratroopers. This allowed me to learn about what to do and about the limitations of AI.

The first really "serious" module was Barrikady, set in the industrial complex of the city of Stalingrad in 1942. Many friends who follow this forum have given me favorable comments, even reproducing some scenarios brilliantly.

The expansion of the Army of the United States took place in the historical module of "Omaha", including many new terrains and reinforced by the airborne landing in the rear of the German defenses: "American Eagles".

The historical module "Grossdeutschland" is a new way of building chained scenarios, not at the same moment in the history of the Second World War, but through an elite unit of the German army. This has allowed me to recreate the evolution of weapons used in WW2, from 1941 to 1944.

Something similar can be said about the "Partizani" expansion module that introduces the partisan forces that fought across Europe. That is, new units and various scenarios appear through some of the main actions of the Resistance.

Finally, although still under construction, I am preparing another new expansion, this time on the Imperial Japanese Army. I think its scenarios will be spectacular, with numerous amphibious landings and fighting between the Marines and the Japanese troops, considered the best infantry in the world.

Finally, multiplayer.
This is an option available in the game.
However, you have to be careful with it. Most of the scenarios are adjusted to balance the AI ​​versus the human player. In other words, the scenario helps the AI ​​enough so that the human player has to work hard to win the scenario.
Naturally, if playing human vs human, there is a clear imbalance. The way to counter this is for the more experienced player to have the side that previously carried the AI.

By the way, as I usually say to new friends who participate in this forum, "welcome to the ruins of Stalingrad."

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 2
RE: Mods and PBEM - 1/3/2021 1:58:31 PM   
Jagger2002

Thanks asl3D! I am going through the mods picking and choosing. It is nice to have a wealth of choices. The Japanese module does sound like a very nice addition.

It is interesting comparing the Slitherine version with the new Steam Digital version. IMO, both are very good. The quantity of player generated scenarios and the scenario editor is a major positive for the Slitherine version. Player generated content can really add life to a game. I also think the tutorials and the manner of presenting game results make learning the game much easier with the Slitherine version. The big advantage of the steam version is a better and smoother interface. Also the steam version is still in development and yet, it appears complete to me. I suspect they are primarily ironing out any bugs that might appear and perhaps some advanced features still to come. Still at $10 a module for 10 scenarios, the costs mount up quickly as you add modules for the game. I suspect at some point if you want all the modules, it may run into a couple hundred bucks. Sign of the times.

I noticed in the slitherine version that scenarios have recommended sides for AI play and scenarios designed for multiplayer. Hopefully the steam version will do the same at some point. Also it would be nice to have custom battles similiar to FOG2. Random maps and purchase your own army. AI is nice for learning the game but nothing like MP to bring out the full potential of a game.

Thanks again and definitely a very interesting and challenging game.

< Message edited by Jagger2002 -- 1/3/2021 1:59:28 PM >

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 3
RE: Mods and PBEM - 1/4/2021 6:16:43 PM   
asl3d

Hi Jagger2002,

I don't remember if all the scenarios in the Slitherine version have the multiplayer option.

Regarding the Heroes and Leaders mod version, in the vast majority of its scenarios it's recommended to play with a specific side. This is so because AI is not very "intelligent". If the scenario is balanced equally for both sides, the human player has too much facility to beat the AI. Therefore, if the scenario is formatted with the multiplayer option enabled, the human player who takes the side initially reserved for the AI has an advantage over the other human player. That is why I recommend that the player with the most knowledge and mastery of the game take the "human" side. It's a way of balancing the scenario again.

Finally, in Heroes and Leaders mod, the multiplayer option is only activated for the Grossdeutschland and Partizani scenarios (of course also for the future Pacific and Ardennes scenarios). I haven't yet modified the oldest scenarios.

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 4
RE: Mods and PBEM - 1/11/2021 5:50:03 PM   
Jagger2002

Hi asl3d,

Well I have downloaded your Heroes and Leaders mod and Chinchin's Heroes of WW2 mods and installed them. They both worked fine and a nice new set of scenarios to play. But then I added the Heroes and Leaders scenarios mod to the base Heroes and Leaders mod and unfortunately none of the new scenarios are working. All of main mod scenarios are working fine.

What I am seeing when I pick one of the supplement scenarios from the mod is a sequence of screens which cover the locations and participants of the new scenarios. And when the screens complete, which takes some time, I see the supplemental scenario but the mix of counters are for multiple countries and simply doesn't make sense. When I installed the scenarios mod, I installed it into my original Heroes and Leaders mod according to folder locations. I don't believe I overwrote any files except for the three csv files. Any idea what I have done wrong?

< Message edited by Jagger2002 -- 1/11/2021 5:51:53 PM >

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 5
RE: Mods and PBEM - 1/11/2021 6:30:25 PM   
asl3d

Hi Jagger2002,

From what you've written, I think your intention is to have all the scenarios available with the Heroes of Stalingrad base game.

If this is your idea, I have to tell you that Heroes and Leaders mod is incompatible with the base game Heroes of Stalingrad. This is because Heroes and Leaders mod uses fully modified and expanded main game matrixs (* .cvs). This allows you to use new units, new terrain, new events, and new countries.

What I can recommend is that you first play the basic Heroes of Stalingrad scenarios (which are very good) and when you are done, then install Heroes and Leader mod with all its scenarios.

I hope I've helped.

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 6
RE: Mods and PBEM - 1/11/2021 10:28:24 PM   
Jagger2002

Hi asl3d,

No I made copies of the original Heroes of Stalingrad for each mod. So I now I have 3 copies of Heroes of Stalingrad. One the original, one titled Lock 'n Load Heroes of WW2 and the last titled Lock 'n Load Heroes and Leaders. And each has their own exe shortcut. All play fine.

The problem is getting the Heroes and Leaders mod to play the supplemental scenarios from the Heroes and Leaders scenarios mod. None of the GD or PTZ scenarios will play properly. The scenario will open for play but the counters are a hodgepodge of different nationalities and types of units which clearly are not appropriate for the scenario.

Is the Heroes and Leaders scenarios mod from here (https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4374224) intended to be inserted into the Heroes and Leaders Mod or should it be in its own separate copy of Heroes of Stalingrad? I inserted the scenarios mod into the Heroes and Leaders Mod. But of course, it doesn't work.

< Message edited by Jagger2002 -- 1/11/2021 10:29:38 PM >

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 7
RE: Mods and PBEM - 1/12/2021 1:27:54 AM   
dox44

i might can help.

i have 3 separate installs also.

the link you cited is the scenarios. they do go in the Heroes and Leaders mod.

the core download has 3 other folders and 1 file. i updated the new install with these folders/files.

the art, autoplay, and Stalingrad main folders should be updated with the files from core folders download.
so for instance, the main "stalingrad" folder needs the updated Events.csv from the core download.

then copy modules.dat from core to overwrite modules.dat from new install

thats the way i did it. works for me, if that's what you did and it doesn't work
then i don't know anything else to try.

< Message edited by dox44 -- 1/12/2021 1:32:26 AM >

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 8
RE: Mods and PBEM - 1/13/2021 2:11:12 PM   
Jagger2002

Thanks Dox, I am going to give it another shot in the next day or two and see if I can get it working properly this time.

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Mods and PBEM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI