Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fog of War/Great English Channel Turkey Shoot

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Fog of War/Great English Channel Turkey Shoot Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fog of War/Great English Channel Turkey Shoot - 12/28/2020 2:07:29 PM   
georgiabulldog1

I’d be surprised if this Q hasn’t been asked/answered before, but I can’t locate it anywhere. I assumed when playing against AI with Fog of War off that the AI sees all of my units, too. Now I’m not so sure.

Personally, I like playing with Fog Of War off because I enjoy the visual experience, and from many years of playing hex and counter board wargames the FoW just seems odd. I was surprised at how I don’t really pay attention to what’s going on behind enemy lines (what all is in England, how the other side’s airforce is holding up, etc.). The naval war is different but you’re just trading one set of problems for another by knowing where enemy ships are,* and silent mode won’t help your subs at 3 supply 100 miles off Bermuda limp back to Vigo because the AI doesn’t have FoW either and sees all.

Or so I thought. I’m the Axis and it’s 1944 and the AI assembles a massive invasion fleet to invade France, assault and landing boats filling the sea west of England. But I’m sitting in France with three full-strength fighter wings at level-5 research and both the German and Italian maritime bombers! It was a Turkey Shoot. I blasted half the invasion force, and then the AI loaded up more boats the next turn to get blasted again. I literally felt bad about it.

So does the AI see all of my units with FoW turned off, or not? Either way, it seems like the AI would know better than to launch an amphibious assault without local air superiority.

Many thanks for a terrific series and forum! –gb1

*That said, after discussion, the AI and I agreed to a local house rule that as the Axis I won’t swarm u-boats all over those packs of helpless American transports in the Atlantic. But I don’t think it’d be sporting for me to ignore Overlord if the Luftwaffe rules the skies over France.
Post #: 1
RE: Fog of War/Great English Channel Turkey Shoot - 12/28/2020 6:39:48 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Georgiabulldog1,

The AI would see all of your units if FoW was disabled, but it is at the same time scripted and may just go ahead with its scripted plans either way. The scripting had FoW enabled in mind when it was developed so you might see some oddities like this if you play with it turned off.

Hope that clarifies it a bit,
Hubert

(in reply to georgiabulldog1)
Post #: 2
RE: Fog of War/Great English Channel Turkey Shoot - 1/5/2021 6:03:24 PM   
georgiabulldog1

Thanks Hubert -- that completely clarifies both questions! Happy New Year. -gb1

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 3
RE: Fog of War/Great English Channel Turkey Shoot - 1/5/2021 6:16:50 PM   
Hubert Cater

Great and Happy New Year to yourself as well

(in reply to georgiabulldog1)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Fog of War/Great English Channel Turkey Shoot Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI