Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nuke Gun Fix/Tactical Nuke Extension

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Nuke Gun Fix/Tactical Nuke Extension Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nuke Gun Fix/Tactical Nuke Extension - 12/27/2020 8:49:15 PM   
newageofpower

The Tactical Nuke tech tree description only states it can be fired from modified howitzers, whilst the manual's entry is quite confusing:
quote:

Tactical Nuke (#321)
This Tech allows you to design Artillery models that can launch small
nukes. The tactical nuke can only be installed on the Monitor Tank and the
Automated Turret.
Even worse, ingame Automated Turrets, Artillery, Mechanized Artillery cannot actually mount tactical nukes, only Monitors.

So this isn't very consistent, at least we should allow Automated Turrets to fire nukes, right?

But Wait, There's More. See this wikipedia entry below:

After trawling a bunch of websites, I conclude both NATO and USSR widely deployed a variety of cannon launched nuclear devices, ranging from 0.1-15 kilotons in yield.

In the name of realism (and making Mechanized Artillery/Artillery actually useful in the end game) I suggest the following:
-Light TacNuke Gun, tentatively sized ~180mm Howitzer and able to be mounted on Mech Artillery
-Medium TacNuke Gun, tentatively sized ~240mm Howitzer and able to be mounted in dedicated Artillery
-Renaming the existing Tactical Nuke Grenade Launchers to Heavy TacNuke Gun, and allow them to be mounted in the Monitor and Automated Turret

Balancing their firepower is up to the developer, of course, but I'd like the firepower/weight of Nuclear Artillery to be competitive with Rockets, even if they're shorter ranged.

I'd also consider merging Atomic Missile Launchers and Missile Launchers; most Cold War TBMs/Cruise Missiles came with swappable warheads anyhow.
Post #: 1
RE: Nuke Gun Fix/Tactical Nuke Extension - 12/27/2020 9:37:39 PM   
zgrssd

The bugs with who can get it have been reported:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4923732

I agree with the limtiation not making a lot of sense. I said so in above post:

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

If fixed the glitches for the next open beta and will think about your request for artillery launching tactical nukes.

thanks for reporting!

best,
Vic

While we build a special artillery piece for the 1st Nuclear Artillery Shell, later the thing was fit into a "normal" artillery shell:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W33_(nuclear_warhead)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W48
I even heard of nuclear warheads being used in Anti-Air shells - talk about a Shrapnel Burst!

But generally it is easier, the bigger the barrels diameter. And especially Ships and shore batteries would have a very easy time having large enough shells.

The only real limit is that nuclear bombs and shells have a certain "minimum weight" of ~14kg, the minimum mass of Uranium for a chain reaction. Maybe a bit less with a really advanced Implosion design, but that means you propably need Tritium, Deuterium and a lot more explosives - so I am very unsure how small it realy can go.

While true fusion* would allow bigger weapons, one bigger advantage is not having such a high minimum weight.

*Not to be mistake for our Fake Fusion bombs, wich used a atomic bomb as detonator for a lot of Hydrogen.

(in reply to newageofpower)
Post #: 2
RE: Nuke Gun Fix/Tactical Nuke Extension - 12/30/2020 6:39:32 PM   
Pratapon51

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4923952

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Nuke Gun Fix/Tactical Nuke Extension Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI