Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Albania not joining Entente

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Albania not joining Entente Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Albania not joining Entente - 12/21/2020 11:42:04 PM   
Chernobyl

What exactly causes Albania to join (or not join)? I suspect that Austria conquering Montenegro too quickly keeps Albania permanently neutral, but I can't find anything in the event files.

I actually WANT Albania to join the Entente as Austria, as Tirana is a nice port and cool source of MPP. But it seems in some of my games even if I delay conquering Serbia, Albania just stays happily neutral forever.

Declaring war on Albania isn't the greatest option either as it angers Bulgaria Greece Italy Ottomans and USA.
Post #: 1
RE: Albania not joining Entente - 12/22/2020 12:25:11 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

I've never seen that before...interesting.

I have done a (semi) early taken down of Montenegro before, but always after Albania got in. This is intriquing because I have been hotseat testing some early attempts of taking Montenegro's capital..and never considered what you've experienced could happen regarding Albania.

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 2
RE: Albania not joining Entente - 12/22/2020 5:28:00 AM   
Chernobyl

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

I have done a (semi) early taken down of Montenegro before, but always after Albania got in.

If Serbia sends in its str 10 corps (the one that starts in Uskub) and force marches into Montenegro (or the hex south of Uzice, eventually walking into Pec to defend it) then Serbia can hold out in Montenegro until Albania joins and the Sanjak corps shows up. But then the main front suffers and it's difficult to either hold in place or retreat in orderly fashion. The the Austrians WILL kill a corps or even two if you're unlucky, even with no mistakes. If Serbia sends their full strength corps northward, then either Pec or the hex between Cetinge and Pec will be open and available for an Austrian corps to walk into, which cuts off Montenegro. Supply in Cetinje will fall to 3 and it's possible to take that city by railing in another precious corps before Albania joins. Ideal timing is right as Albania is about to join. But in one of my games my opponent didn't elect to defend Cetinje very strongly and I captured it "too early" I guess. Albania remains neutral!

It can be tempting as Serbia to counterattack but you won't have the time. In one of my games my opponent elected to attack one of my vulnerable cavalry corps. He killed it, but the result was his units weren't able to escape to a safe line. Final result for Serbia was end October 26th 1914 turn: Serbia surrendered and got the event Bulgaria prepares for war.

< Message edited by Chernobyl -- 12/22/2020 5:32:08 AM >

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 3
RE: Albania not joining Entente - 12/22/2020 5:46:20 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

I see!

So I also managed 1 German and 1 AH corp next to Cetinge on the opening move...forcing the Entente player to either operate that Serb corp to Montenegro's capital, or either reinforcing or entrenching the existing Montenegrin detachment there. A hard choice, (and its been done to me too). I sent the Serb corp there, and the 2 times that I deployed like that my opponents moved that Serb corp. I did the same.

This saves Montenegro but hurts Serbia herself. I never seen any Entente player not respond like this. What a paradox though. This inadvertently penalizes the Central Powers by keeping Albania neutral if Cetinge is taken too early? Well here is something else new when master class play pushes the envelope with this game.

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 4
RE: Albania not joining Entente - 12/22/2020 5:53:45 AM   
Chernobyl

quote:

forcing the Entente player to either operate that Serb corp to Montenegro's capital

Do you feel a Corps helps? I usually just operate a detachment there as any two units adjacent to a city will reduce its supply every turn. I run the Trieste detachment down so it arrives in place on turn #2. And I only rail in a German corps later if I feel I can take the city with extra firepower.

I enjoy dismantling Serbia :)

< Message edited by Chernobyl -- 12/22/2020 5:54:24 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Albania not joining Entente - 12/22/2020 7:36:52 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chernobyl

quote:

forcing the Entente player to either operate that Serb corp to Montenegro's capital

Do you feel a Corps helps? I usually just operate a detachment there as any two units adjacent to a city will reduce its supply every turn. I run the Trieste detachment down so it arrives in place on turn #2. And I only rail in a German corps later if I feel I can take the city with extra firepower.

I enjoy dismantling Serbia :)

Detachment more efficient..but I am always angling a way to take that stubborn port lol (usually later with arty).

yeah..I bet you like dismantling poor old Serbia.

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 12/22/2020 9:12:23 PM >

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 6
RE: Albania not joining Entente - 12/22/2020 8:47:40 AM   
BillRunacre

This is the Mobilization_2 script that increases Albania's pro-Entente mobilization value by 95%.

It has a 75% chance of happening in any turn from the 10th September 1914 providing Serbia holds Monastir, and Russia, Serbia and Montenegro are all in the Entente and have not surrendered.

So would a quick Central Powers' conquest of Montenegro explain why it hasn't happened in your games?

That said, a 75% chance could in theory never happen, despite being checked every turn when the conditions are met, and while the chance of it not happening might be small, it is not impossible.

{
#NAME= Prince Wilhelm Flees Albania As Civil War Breaks Out
#POPUP= <<TAG_22>>
#IMAGE= Albanian_artillery.png
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
;Set global variable condition to always trigger (dummy value)
#GV= 1[1,100]
;Set link value to always trigger (dummy value)
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 3
#TRIGGER= 75
#DATE= 1914/09/10
;95-95% activation increase towards the Entente
#MOBILIZATION= [95,95] [2]
;Set variable conditions:
; 1st Line - Russia politically aligned with the Entente and not surrendered
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 97 [2] [100] [0]
; 2nd Line - Serbia politically aligned with the Entente and not surrendered
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 94 [2] [100] [0]
; 3rd Line - Montenegro politically aligned with the Entente and not surrendered
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 101 [2] [100] [0]
;Serbia holds Monastir
#CONDITION_POSITION= 188,103 [0,0] [0,0] [2] [0]
}

< Message edited by BillRunacre -- 12/22/2020 8:54:21 AM >

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 7
RE: Albania not joining Entente - 12/22/2020 6:10:40 PM   
Chernobyl

Thank you. I think Montastir is named "Bitola" in the game. It's the southernmost town in Serbia next to Albania and Greece. Today it's a town in Macedonia <COUGH> sorry NORTH Macedonia haha

So yeah the problem is I killed Montenegro too quickly. No delicious Albania for me.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 8
RE: Albania not joining Entente - 12/23/2020 3:20:18 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

Thank you. I think Montastir is named "Bitola" in the game. It's the southernmost town in Serbia next to Albania and Greece. Today it's a town in Macedonia <COUGH> sorry NORTH Macedonia haha

So yeah the problem is I killed Montenegro too quickly. No delicious Albania for me.

Well, one advantage to the Central Powers if Albania stays neutral is that the poor Serbs will have no where to go but Greece after their last capital of Uskub falls. I managed to get Serb units out of Tirana and down to Egypt after a fighting withdraw through that mountainous land.

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 9
RE: Albania not joining Entente - 12/23/2020 12:02:00 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

You are right, these places changing their names gets confusing!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Albania not joining Entente Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI