Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OOB management & production & TOE management WITE1 and what could be interesting for WITE2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> OOB management & production & TOE management WITE1 and what could be interesting for WITE2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OOB management & production & TOE management WITE1 and ... - 12/20/2020 6:20:30 PM   
Stelteck

OOB management & production & TOE management historical accuracy VS consistency with in game events

Hi.
I would like to speak about something which was quite a turn Off for me in WITE1, although the importance may be relative. Still i hope something will be done in WITE2.

War in the east 1 tried to stay as close as possible with the history for the following points (it will not a complete list, but it will illustrate my point) :
These points are linked to the transformation of Order of Battle, production and Table of equipment of units.

As example, for soviet side :

- Early Rifle division Table of Equipement "upgrade"
- Early Tank division conversion to Brigade.
- Apparition of new front HQ.
- Medium tank production.

For German Side :
- Late war German infantry "downgrade".
- Some units "retirements".

The problem is the following : Most of these historical transformation are the results of historical events in the war. But in the game, these events may not occured, leading sometimes to really awkward events.

For example, during the year 1941, in WITE1 soviet rifle infantry divisions downgrade several times, from a heavy model, with tons of artillery, to a light model, easier to manage and far cheaper.
This transformation was triggerer to face the shortage of equipment the red army faced with the huge looses of 1941. But these huge looses may not happened during the game and the downgrade of soviet rifle divisions quite stupid.

The same thing occured for the Tank divisions, that convert to brigade during summer 1941. It was a sane decision in the real historical war, but in the WITE campaign, with player in command, it may be completely idiot according to the results. A winning red army should not downgrade its table of equipment during 1941.

Third, the soviet new front HQ appear at the historical position and at the historical date, but it is quite funny because these new front HQ were created in response of historical real life event, often to react to german offensive. But in game having a Bryansk front for example created in response to a german advance on bryansk, if there is no german around is quite funny.

Last for my soviet example, in WITE1, the T-34 medium tank production lead often to huge amount of T-34 tanks waiting 2 years in storage to be able to be use because there is not enough TOE to use them, as in game between players, Tank looses are not as important as in the real war.

For german side, in 1944 the infantry divisions are downgraded because of the historical lack of manpower, due to huge looses in the eastern front, huge looses that may not be occured in a game between two players.

I hope you see the issue.

In order to stick to historical accuracy, i think WITE2 should not rob the player the ability to react and adapt to event in game.

As a minimum, soviet side, i hope the soviet player will be able to suspend TOE upgrade (until the units is destroyed/rebuilt for example), and i think it could be interesting to let the player buy front HQ when he wanted instead of having front HQ given according to historical apparition date.
Also a better control of production and use of equipement would be very interesting.

As a dream, being able to modify/control TOE at will would really be fun, but probably too difficult to code. It is not HOI4 after all....

Thanks for reading.
Post #: 1
RE: OOB management & production & TOE management WITE1 ... - 12/20/2020 6:45:18 PM   
governato

one could add an option for the TOE downgrades that shows up in the Summer and is available for a season or so... having the opportunity to make some truly egregious mistakes 'd be awesome.

The OOB was flexible enough in WITE but that led to some unrealistic gaming of the system once people gained insight on what was most efficient to build.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 2
RE: OOB management & production & TOE management WITE1 ... - 12/21/2020 5:55:13 AM   
Meteor2

And IIRC the units of the 6. army in Stalingrad were removed, even if the desaster never
happened in the game, leaving fronts open.

Off-topic, but there was in certain time in WitP, where magically and out-of-space the japanese
pilots decreased in quality, even if the IJN was winning and had not suffered CV and pilots
losses.

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 3
RE: OOB management & production & TOE management WITE1 ... - 12/21/2020 9:04:48 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meteor2

And IIRC the units of the 6. army in Stalingrad were removed, even if the desaster never
happened in the game, leaving fronts open.

this is the WiTEx version of an urban myth. It never happened that way, What happens is the units that were removed to refit and left in the West post-refit (due to the need for a larger garrison as an Allied invasion seemed more feasible) were left in the West.

So yes, its scripted, but its scripted as a net transfer of assets to France (which is what happened).

The formations that were refitted and returned to the Soviet front are not removed as such - don't lose them and they stay.

(in reply to Meteor2)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> OOB management & production & TOE management WITE1 and what could be interesting for WITE2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI