Distant Worlds 2 Christmas 2020 Peek

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Erik Rutins

Distant Worlds 2 Christmas 2020 Peek

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

As you probably heard in our December 3rd Stream, we're planning a big reveal on Distant Worlds 2 in January. As a result, this is definitely _not_ a big reveal, but I didn't want to leave the hard-core fans checking our forum with nothing new to see before then.

After posting a request for the most wanted sneak peek, the winning choice was for a brief view of what it looks like in Distant Worlds 2 to zoom from the planetary scale out to the galaxy. I've put this into an animated GIF for easy viewing. If you want to see the full size/quality, there's also a brief video version of that GIF at the link below.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Be well, stay safe and let's hope for a wonderful 2021.

Full Size DW2 Zoom Out Zoom In Preview

Attachments
DW2ZoomOutZoomIn.gif
DW2ZoomOutZoomIn.gif (6.6 MiB) Viewed 745 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
dietpill

RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas 2020 Peek

Post by dietpill »

Love the sense of scale! Now, when can we get our hands on this? Early access? I know, wait for the big reveal. Thanks for giving me an other reason to look forward to 2021.
elvendeathknight

Post by elvendeathknight »

Thanks Erik for the xmas peek !
swizzlewizzle

Post by swizzlewizzle »

The scale is wonderful...

Just a quick question regarding the engine Erik... at much smaller sizes than what your ships are here, do any graphical issues pop up at all? Truly hope we are able to see the scale all the way up from fighter/bomber/strikecraft to huge dreadnaughts! :)
OnePercent

Post by OnePercent »

Holy moly the madman actually did it
LordMM

Post by LordMM »

OH GAWDDd [&o]

Attachments
tumblr_lvh..71qhoyau.jpg
tumblr_lvh..71qhoyau.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 638 times
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
LordMM

Post by LordMM »

I'm loving the map already. So far from what I can see. A bunch of things is directly visible from the galaxy map.

- I assume the resource logo below the star is the resources being mined. A really neat addition to the galaxy map.
- The smiley's, possibly showing the approval rating of the colonies
- Total population of the system is visible on the galaxy map, zooming in to the system will give you planet wise stats if you have multiple planets colonized in the same system.
- I assume the lightning symbol and the number beside that is the military power rating.
- Not sure what the Yellow icon is. Could be sensors?
- Also unsure what the yellow hook is.

One thing I did not notice is the civilian traffic in the galaxy map. Will that be visible on the galaxy map?

Brilliant job, so much information on the screen. The interface seems much better and seems to be made to reduce as many clicks as possible. The UI seems so much more polished and better looking than DW-U. Really glad to see this.

Attachments
Screenshot..8174637.jpg
Screenshot..8174637.jpg (92.39 KiB) Viewed 643 times
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: swizzlewizzle
Just a quick question regarding the engine Erik... at much smaller sizes than what your ships are here, do any graphical issues pop up at all? Truly hope we are able to see the scale all the way up from fighter/bomber/strikecraft to huge dreadnaughts! :)

No issues, you can look at each individual fighter if you like. As I mentioned earlier, fighters and bombers now even have their own "ship designs" and components.

One additional note, the galaxy I was zooming out to was 2,000 Stars.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
martok

Post by martok »

Awesome!!

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Niiiiice.

Please, for the love of 4X, tell me that UI scales to 4k and ultrawide?

My 'smallest' monitor is 3440x1440p.
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Wow! Looking great Eric. :)
omzh

Post by omzh »

I love this, that zoom was so seamless. Great to see the progress being made, I can't wait to hear and see more about the gameplay and mechanics.
swappan

Post by swappan »

looks awesome!
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Thanks Erik!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
rollhax

Post by rollhax »

This looks great. Can't wait!

I recall, I think from the 2019 xmas sneak peak, that we would be able to rotate the camera in full 3D around planets and ships? Is that (still) true?
AMD 5900x, 32GB 3600Mhz, 3080

Journey before destination.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I had a stream scheduled for Distant World 1 and managed to download the video to share with the stream. Here is the 24-second video broken down over 20 minutes. :)

https://youtu.be/BokpM2UCE20

rollhax

Post by rollhax »

ORIGINAL: LordMM

I'm loving the map already. So far from what I can see. A bunch of things is directly visible from the galaxy map.

- I assume the resource logo below the star is the resources being mined. A really neat addition to the galaxy map.
- The smiley's, possibly showing the approval rating of the colonies
- Total population of the system is visible on the galaxy map, zooming in to the system will give you planet wise stats if you have multiple planets colonized in the same system.
- I assume the lightning symbol and the number beside that is the military power rating.
- Not sure what the Yellow icon is. Could be sensors?
- Also unsure what the yellow hook is.

One thing I did not notice is the civilian traffic in the galaxy map. Will that be visible on the galaxy map?

Brilliant job, so much information on the screen. The interface seems much better and seems to be made to reduce as many clicks as possible. The UI seems so much more polished and better looking than DW-U. Really glad to see this.

Hook looks to me like a crane hook, i.e. construction yard present in system.
AMD 5900x, 32GB 3600Mhz, 3080

Journey before destination.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Nice!! [8D]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: DasTactic

I had a stream scheduled for Distant World 1 and managed to download the video to share with the stream. Here is the 24-second video broken down over 20 minutes. :)

https://youtu.be/BokpM2UCE20

Don't ever change, Das. [:)]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
jesuswhywhy

Post by jesuswhywhy »

take my moneyyyy, cant wait (especially after i got cyberpunked) do all the features u can, launch the best version <3

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”