Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Another question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another question - 12/16/2020 10:38:14 AM   
wobbleguts

Thanks for the info about the fast start save game for Barborossa.

Decided to brush up on over-runs etc before starting the campaign. Think I've got it but am confused about why the allies get to choose what sort of attack the germans launched against them. The tutorail goes through a table and says the allies should choose an 'assault' instead of 'blitzkrieg' because there are less losses. Why do the allies get to choose the type of attack the germans launched?

Also, when the germans take over a hex with polish units, the allies can decide what to do with the overun units. In the tutorial, they decide to scrap them. What would happen if they had a retreat route and you decided to keep them?

Best wishes.

Post #: 1
RE: Another question - 12/16/2020 1:38:19 PM   
Centuur

Here's the answer on your first question:

RAW:

The attacker chooses the table if:
1. the defending hex is a non-city hex in clear, forest or desert; and
2. any attacking unit is not attacking across a fort hexside; and
3. either the attacker has more:
• ARM and HQ-A units than the defender; or
• MECH units than the defender and the defender has no
ARM or HQ-A units.
- Divisions count as 1/2 a unit (rounding up).
- Each defending anti-tank unit counts as an ARM
corps. AA units which have a combat factor circled in red or pink
are treated as AT units for the choice of land combat.
In all other cases the defender chooses.

And for your second question:

Units which are destroyed can be scrapped or put back into the force pool (to be rebuild). Minor country units which are not scrapped return to the force pool of the controlling major power.

Peter

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 2
RE: Another question - 12/16/2020 6:22:59 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur
Minor country units which are not scrapped return to the force pool of the controlling major power.

The minor country unit are only added to the Major Power force pool if the MP has previously decided to add their units to their force pool. Otherwise they remain in the minors force pool until such time that the MP add them to their force pool.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 3
RE: Another question - 12/17/2020 3:42:43 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

Thanks for the info about the fast start save game for Barborossa.

You're welcome.
quote:

The tutorail goes through a table and says the allies should choose an 'assault' instead of 'blitzkrieg' because there are less losses. Why do the allies get to choose the type of attack the germans launched?

Did the Tutorial really say this? It is not accurate. Losses are higher (for both sides) in an assault. A blitzkrieg is more likely to succeed, can force the defenders to retreat, and is less likely to disorganize the attacking units.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 4
RE: Another question - 12/17/2020 9:14:13 AM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Here's the answer on your first question:

RAW:

The attacker chooses the table if:
1. the defending hex is a non-city hex in clear, forest or desert; and
2. any attacking unit is not attacking across a fort hexside; and
3. either the attacker has more:
• ARM and HQ-A units than the defender; or
• MECH units than the defender and the defender has no
ARM or HQ-A units.
- Divisions count as 1/2 a unit (rounding up).
- Each defending anti-tank unit counts as an ARM
corps. AA units which have a combat factor circled in red or pink
are treated as AT units for the choice of land combat.
In all other cases the defender chooses.

And for your second question:

Units which are destroyed can be scrapped or put back into the force pool (to be rebuild). Minor country units which are not scrapped return to the force pool of the controlling major power.

Thanks, both questions answered! The bit about who gets to choose the combat table is particularly helpful. The tutorial didn't explain this. It just presented a screen where the defenders get to choose what attack has been launched by the opponent which I took to be the default action. I might have missed something, but I watched the tutorial twice and it still didn't make any sense. Having various combat factors deciding who gets to choose the combat table makes sense. Now that I know, I will watch the tutorial one more time before playing.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 5
RE: Another question - 12/17/2020 9:26:49 AM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

quote:

Did the Tutorial really say this? It is not accurate. Losses are higher (for both sides) in an assault. A blitzkrieg is more likely to succeed, can force the defenders to retreat, and is less likely to disorganize the attacking units.

It did. The tutorial said the defenders could choose the type of attack and assault was the preferable option. Defenders, not attackers. Thanks to the previous answer it makes more sense now.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 6
RE: Another question - 12/17/2020 12:06:17 PM   
wobbleguts

watched the tutorial 1 more time and it makes more sense now. The CRT rules are explained in the text on the left hand side but are ignored in the narration. A small game walk trough would be much better IMO. Thanks for the help.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 7
RE: Another question - 12/17/2020 12:19:41 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

quote:

quote:

It did. The tutorial said the defenders could choose the type of attack and assault was the preferable option. Defenders, not attackers. Thanks to the previous answer it makes more sense now.

Usually the defender wants to choose assault, but not always. The one point that was not right is that the statement that assault has less losses. This is not true, assuming that a retreat path is available. Assault is likely to have higher losses for both sides. Its advantage for the defenders is that they are more likely to hold ground and to disorganize the attackers. Its disadvantage is that the defenders are more likely to lose units.

If there is no retreat path, then always choose assault as the defenders, since retreating will just get your units killed.

One other comment: WiF is blessed with two completely different combat result tables: the 1d10 table and the 2d10 table. In any given game, one uses one or the other. The 2d10 table is somewhat bloodier. The 1d10 is designed for if you are playing the game without divisions, the 2d10 if you are using divisions. This is stated nowhere, but should be mentioned. Whichever you use, always use the fractional odds optional rule; it saves the players a lot of effort not having to search for that one more factor that gets an odds shift.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 8
RE: Another question - 12/17/2020 10:19:30 PM   
Neilster

Well said.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 9
RE: Another question - 12/18/2020 2:30:46 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

quote:

It is not so simple. Attacker may select in many occasions. There are rules regarding number of armor, art, terrain, climate, city/no city ...

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 12/18/2020 2:31:05 AM >

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Another question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI