Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI Air Directive Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> AI Air Directive Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI Air Directive Question - 12/13/2020 4:18:21 PM   
actrade

I'm new and loving this game. I was too intimidated to try it until it went on sale on Steam and figured at the sale price I had little to lose. I'm mad at myself for not buying WiTE as well when it was on sale (hindsight 20/20) but my rationale was waiting for WiTE2. I'll add it when it goes on sale again! I'm playing the Italy 43-45 campaign and at some point I advance far enough north that anything on Malta Command is out of range. At this point I'm not real confident on manually moving squadrons so I'm letting AI do it even though I understand that's not opitimal....baby steps first. I know how to do it, but am not sure how to not go over the max number of aircraft allowed at a base. I'm sure it's in the manual, but I guess while I'm asking other questions I'll as that one as well. :)

My question is this: the AI flight directive keeps putting up superiority missions that are out of range for Malta, at least I think that's the case as when I check the "no fly" reason it's out of range. I know to check if they're out of range because they only show one hex being covered. I guess the question is why does the AI create an AD it can't fill? The AI is doing the same thing for TAC as well, but eventually planes get moved and once again those missions have planes. For now, when I see no planes eligible for a mission, I just uncheck the box so it won't try to launch. I thought maybe planes were attempting to launch, but can see in after action summary that zero sorties were flown.

My second question comes a bit later as the AI is trying to launch missions from Malta Air Command out of out of Barcellona in Sicily, yet this time none of the squadrons are there! There aren't even any air assets or supply at Barcellona. All of the planes are still at Valleta on Malta while MAC is on Victoria and has a blue line pointing to Barcellona. Is there a planned move op by the AI to Barcellona underway? Remember, there is nothing at Barca atm, no supplies or planes. Confused.

Long term, I know the answer is to not rely on the AI for your AD or moves, but I'm not ready to take the training wheels off yet :)
Post #: 1
RE: AI Air Directive Question - 12/13/2020 5:48:09 PM   
fritzfarlig

First I never let the ai move my airforce
Later I use Malta for navy patrols what is a important task
For supply lines from North Africa to Italy

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 2
RE: AI Air Directive Question - 12/13/2020 6:37:45 PM   
loki100

I struggle to answer as I've got so used to the AI-air assist routine in WiTE2 and its a lot better.

Accepting you want to keep to the AI for now, you may want to encourage the Malta command to move off the island. I think even with full AI help you can change the air group-air command relationship. So maybe just put it all into tactical air? that way the AI may well move the planes to a suitable air field.

A neat compromise between pure AI and full manual is to use the air directive screen to tell the AI what to do, then review and amend the resulting air directives. I found this a good way to progress as I had the AI's framework but I could bring a bit of focus to my own goals.

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 3
RE: AI Air Directive Question - 12/13/2020 9:12:54 PM   
actrade

Loki, that what I do, but was just curious if maybe I was doing something wrong to cause missions to be generated that can't be flown. I will try to resubordinate them and see if that helps. So looking forward to WiTE2! Thanks!

Fritz, I use coastal patrol command to do that already and agree very important to keep those sea lanes clear.

Edit: interestingly, the AI already moved them to TAC air...guessing their just waiting for space to open up before shuffling them out of Malta.

< Message edited by actrade -- 12/13/2020 10:07:02 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> AI Air Directive Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI