Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and better on others

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and better on others Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and better... - 12/10/2020 11:01:35 PM   
Elver

Right now, every power source but special-asset LE/turbine/etc reactors* is worse than solar in most circumstances. Solar is too reliable and works equally well everywhere. At a bare minimum, it would make sense to use rainfall figures to limit solar output. This wouldn't account for planets with non-watery clouds, but it would at least make solar slightly less of a free resource you can (easily, cheaply) build everywhere regardless of local conditions.

*These are better only insofar as they're free and don't even require personnel to operate.

< Message edited by Elver -- 12/11/2020 6:25:31 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and be... - 12/11/2020 5:47:03 AM   
Pratapon51

Planetary characteristics should definitely play a role. Distance from the local star, fluctuation per season, + possible events resulting in their damage. Solar power is far too good, currently.

(in reply to Elver)
Post #: 2
RE: Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and be... - 12/11/2020 7:35:08 AM   
HamsterGodoy

i wouldn't be surprised if adding this feature where the production value is based on the tile stats would probably require the devs to have to write a lot of new code and make changes to the engine, maybe make it so that there's like 3 different solar power buildings, and have them work kinda like the domed farms open farms etc.

(in reply to Elver)
Post #: 3
RE: Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and be... - 12/11/2020 1:20:16 PM   
Pratapon51

It might be, but tile temperatures and rain already seem to vary per season, so it can be integrated with the existing systems. At any rate, Solar Power is currently too strong an energy option, basically no reason to build Nuclear Plants or Power Plants.

(in reply to HamsterGodoy)
Post #: 4
RE: Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and be... - 12/11/2020 1:40:42 PM   
zgrssd

I think solar farms are fine, but could use a serious debuff. It is not so much their realiability, but their output that worries me. I never even consider Fuel or Nuclear plants if I can just build Solar Panels.

The other plants are simply way to bad compared to the Solar Plant, in building resources and upkeep. If Vic cuts the output by 10, I think they would be perfectly fine. Ideally he could also make them a starting technology.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HamsterGodoy

i wouldn't be surprised if adding this feature where the production value is based on the tile stats would probably require the devs to have to write a lot of new code and make changes to the engine, maybe make it so that there's like 3 different solar power buildings, and have them work kinda like the domed farms open farms etc.

I would say it would require a new planet generation step, but beyond that the core math is simple.
We need maybe 1 value per tile per planet season, but that is not a lot of data in the grand sheme of things. Indeed it is barely as bad as weather.
Minor Daily variations have to be caught by storage plants build into the whole network anyway, given that 1 turn is 2 earth months IIRC.

But the idea of making it work like open-air farms (where there is choice land for solar generation) also has a certain charm.

(in reply to HamsterGodoy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and better on others Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI