More control over planet creation

Moderator: Vic

myfirstme

More control over planet creation

Post by myfirstme »

Great game!

The planet creation is a bit hit and miss though, causing me to waste a lot of time to re-roll and restart to get the scenario I want.

Could we have more control, like defining the parameters (% mountains, oceans etc), instead of hoping for a lucky random draw?

Could we pre-choose our name and flag, not depending on luck as to which flag is available?

And could we choose our starting position on the planet?
nathanebht

RE: More control over planet creation

Post by nathanebht »

I do the same thing during planet creation. Lots of re-rolls. More control during planet creation would save time and cause less frustration.

The name and flag can be completely changed during creation.

The random starting position doesn't bother me. Don't see a need to change this.
Fritz1776

Post by Fritz1776 »

Even more basic would be the ability to go back and reroll part way through. For example, you get a planet you mostly like but would prefer if it had cloud forests, so you reroll biology a few times to see if it's possible. And no, the flag can't always be changed because there is a (semi?) random selection of flags to chose from. It can be rather annoying actually.
Luckspeare

Post by Luckspeare »

I am loving the game, once I can get a good game started... but there is a hell of a barrier to that. I have preferences when I start a game -- the apparently most stringent of which is that the planet isn't 80% irradiated -- and it is absolutely, mind-numbingly fatiguing rolling and re-rolling, only to have the war stage completely ruin it with planetwide irradiation. That's not the game I want to play right now. Maybe another world later.

So I second this -- please please please give us more control, and most of all please change the final stage so it's not final and unable to be re-rolled. That right there is a big source of frustration and time-waste. I would class this as a high-priority request, as it severely affects player experience. No one wants to choose between playing a rando game with characteristics they don't really want, or spend 4+ hours trying to start a new game to their preferences.

---

Of lesser priority, I'd say, but still pretty important and time-consuming for people who want to play a certain theme, is the starting factions. It would save much nation-rerolling if we could at least pick from a set of factions.

Overall, there's just too much time-investiture in starting a game for there to be so much remorseless randomness, at least to me.
Don_Oda

Post by Don_Oda »

ORIGINAL: Luckspeare

So I second this -- please please please give us more control, and most of all please change the final stage so it's not final and unable to be re-rolled. That right there is a big source of frustration and time-waste. I would class this as a high-priority request, as it severely affects player experience. No one wants to choose between playing a rando game with characteristics they don't really want, or spend 4+ hours trying to start a new game to their preferences.

agree on this - please please please give us the option to tweak the parameters
Luckspeare

Post by Luckspeare »

Honestly, at risk of excessive equine-percussion, I'd even say that starting a new game, unless you have no particular preference, is positively Sisyphean. I've been wanting to start a new game for a few days now, but the 4 times I've tried I gave up after a couple of hours of working up to likeable worldgens, then seeing them dashed by worldwide irradiation or bad placement or something, and did something else. Haven't had the heart to try again. I would be extremely grateful if I saw worldgen made manageable. I know one person is not much, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who is put off by the worldgen process as it currently is. This would go a long way toward making the game more accessible without actually softballing anything, at least in my opinion.

Okay, I'm done horse-beating and abject apologies and effusive thanks to Vic and everyone else. I'll shut up about it now.
newageofpower

Post by newageofpower »

Some sliders instead of being forced to mash Reroll would be great. Being able to select your starting zone for a tradeoff (say, 100% increase in AI worker/civilian population) seems very reasonable.

Or a scenario editor...
Fritz1776

Post by Fritz1776 »

Choosing where you start for that sort of tradeoff sounds positively amazing to me.
Luckspeare

Post by Luckspeare »

Got one more kick for the horse.

I finally rolled a good planet that matched exactly what I wanted to play... and then all majors were clumped together next to me in the center of the map, including the nemesis.

This is a serious problem. I would request this be prioritized.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

When Factions are clumped, this may well be a factor of how the rain falls.

I noticed that getting a planet where the rainfall is high is easy - but it also needs to be even across the world. Rainfall tends to 1-2 Oases. And majors will naturally hug those fertile stretches of land.

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”