Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Possible to make units automatically dig trenches if they don't move?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Possible to make units automatically dig trenches if they don't move? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Possible to make units automatically dig trenches if th... - 12/8/2020 3:00:14 AM   
Tanaka

This would save on some micromanagement...

Don't units automatically entrench in WIE and WAW?

Post #: 1
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/9/2020 5:45:35 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

This would save on some micromanagement...

Don't units automatically entrench in WIE and WAW?

Yes, but in those two games the whole hex gets the entrenchment buff...in SC-WW1, its just the hex side facing.

This kinda demands a bit of rigor, but its essential so you can fine tune your defensive positions as circumstances warrant.

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 12/9/2020 5:46:50 AM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 12:01:44 AM   
Tendraline

There is also a difference between WWI and WAW/WiE mechanics: once you entrench in WWI, you run out of action points. Thus, you entrench after you are done with your moves.

Your proposal also fails here. It is often better to allow a player to reinforce or withdraw a battered unit rather than entrenching.

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 3
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 3:16:53 AM   
Tanaka

Fair points guys still adjusting to this game as it is so different! But love it!

(in reply to Tendraline)
Post #: 4
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 3:38:44 AM   
Chernobyl

There might be a situation where I don't want to entrench. Not sure.

But far more obvious is that the ai would pick the wrong sides to entrench.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 5
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 5:54:00 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tendraline

There is also a difference between WWI and WAW/WiE mechanics: once you entrench in WWI, you run out of action points. Thus, you entrench after you are done with your moves.

Your proposal also fails here. It is often better to allow a player to reinforce or withdraw a battered unit rather than entrenching.

Question: If you entrench and dig a trench and leave it. And then later another unit takes the spot do you have to entrench again or does the unit use the previously built trench and you don't have to do anything once you move there?

(in reply to Tendraline)
Post #: 6
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 6:37:37 AM   
Chernobyl

quote:

And then later another unit takes the spot

I'm pretty sure as long as you see the trench graphic on the map, it works. So you can walk (or even rail or sea transport) into a hex with trenches and take the trenches. You get an entrenchment level equal to half the max entrenchment for that hex (round down) plus one at the end of each of your turns (so you get one more before they get to attack)

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 7
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 7:28:26 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chernobyl

quote:

And then later another unit takes the spot

I'm pretty sure as long as you see the trench graphic on the map, it works. So you can walk (or even rail or sea transport) into a hex with trenches and take the trenches. You get an entrenchment level equal to half the max entrenchment for that hex (round down) plus one at the end of each of your turns (so you get one more before they get to attack)

And you also keep gaining entrenchment levels if you don't move from that spot per turn as with WIE and WAW correct?

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/11/2020 7:38:21 AM >

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 8
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 7:36:55 AM   
stockwellpete

quote:

Question: If you entrench and dig a trench and leave it. And then later another unit takes the spot do you have to entrench again or does the unit use the previously built trench and you don't have to do anything once you move there?

The new unit will use the trench if it moves there on the same turn. Except for HQ's, I think, which do not have entrenchment capability. A trench will disappear if left empty at the end of a turn, or if there is a HQ unit in the hex. I think that is right anyway.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 9
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 7:39:29 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: stockwellpete

quote:

The new unit will use the trench if it moves there on the same turn. Except for HQ's, I think, which do not have entrenchment capability. A trench will disappear if left empty at the end of a turn, or if there is a HQ unit in the hex. I think that is right anyway.

Trenches disappear? Did not know that!

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 10
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 12:10:24 PM   
BillRunacre

If a trench already exists on a hex, then you don't need to re-entrench unless you wish to change the facing of the trench.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 11
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 6:20:47 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

If a trench already exists on a hex, then you don't need to re-entrench unless you wish to change the facing of the trench.

Thanks Bill!

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 12
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/11/2020 10:11:50 PM   
Chernobyl

Does digging trenches for your HQ to sit in increase their defense?

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 13
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/12/2020 12:54:52 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

I think I saw somewhere that HQ are not affected by trenches?

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 14
RE: Possible to make units automatically dig trenches i... - 12/13/2020 4:13:37 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

No, HQs and other rear area units like aircraft cannot occupy trenches.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Possible to make units automatically dig trenches if they don't move? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI