Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[1.06.06] Wildlife 'Absorption' feat uses modified hitpoints, has undocumented chance to fail

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> [1.06.06] Wildlife 'Absorption' feat uses modified hitpoints, has undocumented chance to fail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[1.06.06] Wildlife 'Absorption' feat uses modified hitp... - 12/4/2020 2:19:42 AM   
Soar_Slitherine

The description for the 'Absorption' wildlife feat states, "Hits on critter do not register if unmodified attack value is not higher than unmodified hitpoints". To me, this would imply that it uses the hitpoints value listed on the critter's stats page for that calculation. However, what the combat engine actually appears to do is use the listed hitpoints value modified by the critter's unit feats - at least that's the only explanation I can come up with for the critters in the embedded picture having 400-ish hitpoints & Absorption before the modifiers listed in the combat log against non-infantry despite only having 104 base hitpoints.

This has a negative effect in that, firstly, it can make early-game weapons useless against critters with certain feat combinations unless you go out of your way to design a model specifically for fighting that critter, and secondly, since the feat description fails to make it clear that hitpoint modifiers from unit feats still count, there's a decent chance that a player who has only read the feat description will try to fight such a critter with units that can't beat it and only learn how the mechanic actually works when they look into why their troops got massacred. Thirdly, players have to add up all the hitpoint modifiers from the unit feats to figure out if a model actually beats the critter's Absorption, and in order to do that properly players have to know that combat modifiers compound each other's effects in the game's combat engine, which is another thing about the feat that may trip up new players.

For another related bug or undocumented feature, I noticed that my air bombardments were still sometimes scoring hits on critters with Absorption even though they didn't have enough attack power to beat it. Most attacks were nullified, but for a small portion, the text about the attack being nullified was missing from the combat log and the attack went through, even though the base attack and base defense were identical to nullified attacks. If some too-weak attacks getting through is an intended mechanic, it should be mentioned in the feat description.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Soar_Slitherine -- 12/4/2020 2:44:32 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: [1.06.06] Wildlife 'Absorption' feat uses modified ... - 12/4/2020 7:37:46 AM   
Vic

Good points.
Making changes for v1.06.07

adding the following:
-Amorphous Alien Fauna Feat mouse over improved to show that there is a chance the rule is in effect. Abs I = 60% chance rule is used, II =70% chance.. etc... (that explains your partial succes)
-The Stats for Alien Fauna shown in the Popup are now the real values after direct impacting Fauna Feats have been taking into account. Much better this way.
-Amorphous Alien Fauna Feat no longer used for Beginner games

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 2
RE: [1.06.06] Wildlife 'Absorption' feat uses modified ... - 12/4/2020 1:02:22 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

Um, I've mixed up those two occasionally as well, but the relevant feat is Absorption, not Amorphous. Happy to see you're making changes to this, though.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> [1.06.06] Wildlife 'Absorption' feat uses modified hitpoints, has undocumented chance to fail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI