Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

World at War versus War in Europe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> World at War versus War in Europe Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
World at War versus War in Europe - 12/2/2020 10:13:27 PM   
Batavian

I am a big fan of War in Europe and am considering trying World at War.

Other than the scope of the war, what are the similarities/differences/likes/dislikes between the two?

If this has already been discussed, apologies for not doing a better job searching the forums.
Post #: 1
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/3/2020 12:53:22 AM   
Elessar2

Pretty much the same exact game engine. Note the new WaW patch has some new tweaks that WiE doesn't have (until it too is patched).

(in reply to Batavian)
Post #: 2
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/18/2020 2:07:54 AM   
Numdydar

The European map in WIE is much bigger than in WAW. I was very disappointed when I bought WAW and found that out. I keep bugging Hubert about making the WAW map the same scale as WIE but he keeps resisting me :) I'm even willing to pay money for a bigger map lol.

After playing WIE, I really can't play WAW due to the map scale being so different in WAW. WAW is the first SC game I have not played to death as I have loved all the others.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 3
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/18/2020 5:33:49 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

The European map in WIE is much bigger than in WAW. I was very disappointed when I bought WAW and found that out. I keep bugging Hubert about making the WAW map the same scale as WIE but he keeps resisting me :) I'm even willing to pay money for a bigger map lol.

After playing WIE, I really can't play WAW due to the map scale being so different in WAW. WAW is the first SC game I have not played to death as I have loved all the others.

Yep I agree with these sentiments but am giving WaW another go in a pbem match against a well regarded opponent. WaW does have its charm and a whole different perspective for sure, and has intriquing strategic dilemmas, particularly with the Allies, whom I like to play.

It would be cool to see a larger map..Western Europe and the seas around it are hard to get use to after years on the other maps.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 4
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/18/2020 8:40:28 AM   
Taifun

After playing WiE for years I just recently moved to WAW. The scale of the game is the most difficult part to manage as airplanes/ships move differently. I must say that I love WiE but the depth of planning that WAW demands is awesome and it is a real challenge/pleasure to play the whole world as the Allies must really balance and manage both fronts. I think that WAW is a real gem and a great Strategic WWII game .

La clé est l'état d'esprit

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 5
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/18/2020 9:08:57 AM   
The Land

quote:

Depending on the size of the map, the price for a new one is probably somewhere between $10,000 and $25,000 ... they are an immense amount of work!

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 6
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/18/2020 9:07:11 PM   
Elessar2

quote:

I do think the scale doesn't work as well in W@W.

I am currently working on the Pacific-only map [all of the map tweaking prelims likely will be completed by the end of this weekend], but (after running into some issues with the 20km Euro map I had been working on) may give a full 512 x 256 sized world map a shot, if I can find a scale I can live with, with minimal polar distortions...

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 7
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/18/2020 9:13:59 PM   
Tanaka

I too among many others found the map too small in WAW when looking at it. And then I started playing it. And then I understood. It is quite a different beast and the game would take forever with a bigger map. And once I started playing it and understanding that I really loved the game. Nothing quite like world strategy. And when you want to play a giant map that is what makes WIE special on its own. I love all three games. WW1 is quite a change and fun for completely different reasons. I don't think any other game has modeled WW1 better and it is being continually improved. I would recommend to any strategy gamer to get all three games because they are all great in their on way and the Devs continue to improve them with our feedback without nickeling and diming us with DLC's!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/18/2020 9:17:52 PM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 8
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/19/2020 11:20:46 PM   
Elessar2

Of course some of us want to play forever.

The main issue regarding the map as far the naval side is concerned is that it is virtually impossible to hide large fleet movements from the enemy, given the no-stacking rule combined with the tight scale. The Pacific map is more than 2 times as big, so there is a lot more room to hide out there. The Euro 20k map makes it even easier, even in the otherwise tight confines of the Med.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 9
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/20/2020 6:42:45 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

Of course some of us want to play forever.

The main issue regarding the map as far the naval side is concerned is that it is virtually impossible to hide large fleet movements from the enemy, given the no-stacking rule combined with the tight scale. The Pacific map is more than 2 times as big, so there is a lot more room to hide out there. The Euro 20k map makes it even easier, even in the otherwise tight confines of the Med.

Haha I hear you I love that to maybe someone will make a mod!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/20/2020 9:42:47 PM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 10
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/20/2020 9:41:28 PM   
Dorky8

I havent been able to get into the Waw game because of the scale, maybe I'll try again

Some gateways would also help, do you really need to drag US troops all the way around Africa to get to Egypt?

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 11
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/25/2020 4:40:58 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Land

quote:

Depending on the size of the map, the price for a new one is probably somewhere between $10,000 and $25,000 ... they are an immense amount of work!

Well I certainly don't have that kind money lol. But I bet a DLC with a larger map scale would sell well. But what do I know lol. All I know is I would pay $10-$20 for that :)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 12
RE: World at War versus War in Europe - 12/25/2020 6:11:28 PM   
GiveWarAchance

I like World at War much better cause it has Japan and China which is a fun war, and having Japan in the game was the main reason I wanted this game. I like the size of the map in World at War better too. I know most players prefer gigantic maps in games, but I like a more moderate size to keep the micromanagement manageable and it is easier to stay interested in the campaign cause every unit and every patch of frontline space is vital in this game. And if the map is too big, the game gets bogged with too many units and too much to do which means longer waits for AI turns and tiresome turns for the player managing the colossal world war while in reality there were staff to handle the details so generals didn't get overwhelmed but we don't have staff (not me anyways).

I like to play as Germany and Italy and put Japan on AI control which it does well so I feel like I have a friend helping me.
Sometimes I play as Japan and put Germany & Italy on AI control.
Either way makes the game very challenging because you have to do much better than historically to have any chance of winning, and the AI in this game is very strong and well designed. By 1943, the allies will already have large asswhoopings prepared for you in multiple theaters so you have to get ready for those during the dreadful grappling match with Russia. I think China is quite tough now too looking at their troop numbers, level 2 infantry tech, with supporting tanks and air force holding off my Japanese Ai friend.

I hope many people buy this game cause the devs deserve the support.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> World at War versus War in Europe Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI