Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bridges & Rivers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Bridges & Rivers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bridges & Rivers - 11/21/2020 11:28:56 PM   
76mm

I've read the provisions in the manual about bridges and rivers, but still have some questions:

1) For six hours turns, it seems like the Engineering Rate should be drastically reduced...I figure something between 5-10% would make the most sense--what are other people doing?

2) Whatever the engineering rate, is it correct that if I have two engineering units tyring to build/rebuild a bridge, the chance of success will be twice as great as if I had only one engineering unit?

3) Some places in the manual refer to engineering units "building" bridges, while others refer only to "rebuilding" destroyed bridges. Can engineers build new bridges or only repair destroyed bridges?

4) I don't see anything in the manual about bridging "super rivers"--can engineers build/rebuild bridges over super rivers as well, or only rivers?

5) If engineers can build/rebuild bridges over super rivers, it seems like it should take longer than bridging a normal river...is there any difference between the time/chances for building/rebuilding bridges over rivers vs super rivers?

< Message edited by 76mm -- 11/21/2020 11:30:53 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Bridges & Rivers - 11/22/2020 12:20:20 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I've read the provisions in the manual about bridges and rivers, but still have some questions:

1) For six hours turns, it seems like the Engineering Rate should be drastically reduced...I figure something between 5-10% would make the most sense--what are other people doing?

No provision for this by the game. Designers, however...

quote:

2) Whatever the engineering rate, is it correct that if I have two engineering units tyring to build/rebuild a bridge, the chance of success will be twice as great as if I had only one engineering unit?

You'll have one chance per each unit. Chance of success each time will depend upon the amount of engineers per unit.

quote:

3) Some places in the manual refer to engineering units "building" bridges, while others refer only to "rebuilding" destroyed bridges. Can engineers build new bridges or only repair destroyed bridges?

Repair only.

quote:

4) I don't see anything in the manual about bridging "super rivers"--can engineers build/rebuild bridges over super rivers as well, or only rivers?

Size of river/canal does not matter.

quote:

5) If engineers can build/rebuild bridges over super rivers, it seems like it should take longer than bridging a normal river...is there any difference between the time/chances for building/rebuilding bridges over rivers vs super rivers?

No.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Bridges & Rivers - 11/22/2020 11:56:37 AM   
76mm

Great, thanks. It would be nice IMO if there were a difference in repair rates between rivers and super rivers...for instance, for super-rivers only 50% (25%?) of the Engineering rate would apply, since it would be considerably more difficult to rebuild a bridge over a major river than a smaller one...

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Bridges & Rivers - 11/22/2020 2:10:58 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Great, thanks. It would be nice IMO if there were a difference in repair rates between rivers and super rivers...for instance, for super-rivers only 50% (25%?) of the Engineering rate would apply, since it would be considerably more difficult to rebuild a bridge over a major river than a smaller one...

And what about the difference between what the bridge carries: Road, Improved Road, or Rail? What if it has both Improved Road and Rail? What if we have Super Roads (i.e. Autobahns)? What if the rail can be single or double tracked? What if we have Mountain Roads?

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Bridges & Rivers - 11/22/2020 3:32:58 PM   
Lobster

And what about making a rail bridge a road bridge also? They laid planks on the ties and used the bridge for road traffic. For tracked vehicles they didn't even have to do that. But yes, the Dnieper at Kiev would pose more of a problem than the Dnieper at Orsha regardless of how many lanes or tracks were present.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Post #: 5
RE: Bridges & Rivers - 11/22/2020 5:56:54 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
And what about the difference between what the bridge carries: Road, Improved Road, or Rail? What if it has both Improved Road and Rail? What if we have Super Roads (i.e. Autobahns)? What if the rail can be single or double tracked? What if we have Mountain Roads?

What if you were to consider a suggestion every now and then instead of rejecting every one out of hand with some bizarre counter-argument? Weird concept, eh?

I consider whether it is road, improved road, rail, or super-road irrelevant--make bridges, or at least rebuilt bridges, cost MP more to cross. The fact is that the engineers rebuilding a bridge would make it as "crossable" as possible, which even best case will probably not be as good as the original...make all rebuilt bridges secondary roads, who cares?

A more important issue would be not what type of road is on top of the bridge, but its weight capacity. Unlike TOAW, other operational games have heavy and light bridges, which actually serve a useful function.

It seems kind of obvious to me that building a bridge over a 400 meter wide river--with whatever type of road surface--will generally be much more difficult than a bridge over a 30 meter wide river.

Post #: 6
RE: Bridges & Rivers - 11/22/2020 6:06:35 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

What if you were to consider a suggestion every now and then instead of rejecting every one out of hand with some bizarre counter-argument? Weird concept, eh?

What rejection?

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: Bridges & Rivers - 11/22/2020 6:21:47 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
What rejection?

Maybe I misunderstood your comment, and if, I apologize. I interpreted your response as something like "that kind of distinction is not really relevant, because then you've also have to address every other possible distinction between different types of bridges...".

Also, for whatever it is worth, in the scenario I'm creating there will be a house rule that bridges with secondary roads are "light bridges" with a weight capacity of x tons (haven't decided yet), while primary road bridges have unlimited weight capacity. Since TOAW already has unit weight data, that would be a nice thing to add to TOAW some day as well.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 11/22/2020 6:22:17 PM >

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Bridges & Rivers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI