I have tried to invest in few Air Superiority Group, Ground Attack group and Tactical Air group before Barbarossa. Supporting the early invasion was like The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot.
Then, spending plenty of PP to repair them for 1942, I lost the game because of a lack of land units.
My tip, disband them to get PP. That is what I will try next time.
Every game is different, but I have had some success doing this:
1. I don't "invest" in any new Russian air units prior to Barbarossa if by that you mean purchasing new ones. But I don't destroy any either and I do max out my research in air superiority and close air support (or whatever that tech is called).
2. I generally also set my air units so that they will not upgrade or take reinforcements prior to Barbarossa. But there are exceptions to this.
3. Once Barbarossa starts I bomb the Finns with everything I've got. This isn't just to gain experience for my air units, but also to stop the Finns from severing the Murmansk railroad. But again I keep them set to not upgrade or take reinforcements.
4. In emergency situations I will use them against the Germans, especially if I can bomb units where there may not be enemy fighter cover.
5. Depending on how well or bad things are going, I will set them to start upgrading and taking replacements in September 41 or so.
6. Hopefully by January 42 they will be teched up to 42 tech, have 40% experience and 100% effectiveness. The net effect is that they will be at 40%. Also hopefully by this time the German air units will be at 60% experience and 70% effectiveness (due to snow and blizzards) so that overall they are also at about 40%. So now I can use the Russian airforce in battle at something closely equal to the Germans. Of course, I can't use them in Blizzard.
7. What I do in summer 42 depends on the game situation. If the Axis are still on the general offensive I again move my Russian airforce to a section of the Front where they can get target practice and turn off upgrades and replacements. I then return them to the battle in January 43.
Of course, this "plan" has to be adapted an awful lot depending upon on what my Axis opponent is doing.
< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 11/23/2020 12:03:33 AM >