Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reducing naval resupply

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Reducing naval resupply Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reducing naval resupply - 11/18/2020 3:51:27 PM   
mdsmall

I am currently playing the Allies and would like to reduce the ability of convoy raiding German subs to resupply from ports in France and Spain. If I reduce Vigo, for example, to level 4 through naval bombardment, would that limit the German subs ability to resupply there? Or would I have to reduce it to 0 and keep it at 0 by having two Allied ships next to the port, in order to have an impact on the Germans ability to resupply their subs?
Post #: 1
RE: Reducing naval resupply - 11/18/2020 6:05:43 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

I am currently playing the Allies and would like to reduce the ability of convoy raiding German subs to resupply from ports in France and Spain. If I reduce Vigo, for example, to level 4 through naval bombardment, would that limit the German subs ability to resupply there? Or would I have to reduce it to 0 and keep it at 0 by having two Allied ships next to the port, in order to have an impact on the Germans ability to resupply their subs?

Going from memory - I think *any* level of port supply radiates Supply 10 for naval units - so the latter.

I'm not even hugely confident that a port at supply 0 doesn't create supply for naval units (only), though I can't say I know for sure either way.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: Reducing naval resupply - 11/19/2020 8:49:33 AM   
BillRunacre

You could always turn off the TERRITORY scripts that give Germany access to Vigo and the port in the Canary Islands.

To do this go to Options -> Advanced -> Scripts

Then find the Territory scripts and untick those relating to this before starting the game.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 3
RE: Reducing naval resupply - 11/20/2020 11:15:19 PM   
mdsmall

Hi Bill - I think that would hard to do in a PBEM game. At a minimum, my Axis opponent would rightly not been keen on that.

But my real question is about the mechanism governing naval supply. I have since noticed that captured Italian ports with supply below 5 can resupply my own British subs immediately with 10 level supply. So I infer that you have to reduce an enemy port down to zero and keep it that way to prevent it from providing resupplying enemy subs. But grateful if you could confirm that.

More generally, is this something you would consider changing in a future update? I appreciate that you are trying to keep naval supply simple. But it does seem strange that reducing the supply level of resources for land units is key tactic in the game for land combat, but there is no equivalence for naval combat. Surely it would not be hard to scale the supply that a port provides to its current level, on say a 1:2 ratio, so that a port that had been reduced to 1 would only raise naval units supply to a 2, whereas ports at 5 or above would raise naval units supply to 10.

Best regards,

Michael

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 4
RE: Reducing naval resupply - 11/21/2020 2:24:33 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Mdsmall,

The naval unit re-supply table can be found on page 89 of the Manual and essentially it is a function of the strength of the port and the distance of the unit to the port.

For example, if you have a naval unit at 0 supply, and the port is at strength 5, and your naval unit has returned within action point range of the strength of the port, e.g. within 5 hexes of a port that is at strength 5, then the following cases could apply:

- Naval unit has returned within 4 hexes of the port, the naval unit will now be at 6 supply, e.g. 10 - 4 = 6
- Naval unit has returned within 3 hexes of the port, the naval unit will now be at 7 supply, e.g. 10 - 3 = 7
- Naval unit has returned within 0 hexes of the port, the naval unit will now be at 10 supply, e.g. 10 - 0 = 10

A port, unless by an event, will never remain at 0 for your opponent as the resource strengths are re-calculated at the end of your turn, so on their turn at a minimum it will always be at strength 1. So yes, even a port knocked down to 0 will still provide maximum supply as long as the naval unit returns directly to the port.

The benefit of knocking down a port does require the unit to return all the way back to port in order to receive a good return supply value, but it does not fully eliminate supply as mentioned here.

Could this change?

We'd have to think about it carefully as I do see what you are after here, but at the same time we don't want to introduce a situation that we haven't considered that would also be affected by any change here.

Hubert

< Message edited by Hubert Cater -- 11/21/2020 2:27:55 PM >

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 5
RE: Reducing naval resupply - 11/21/2020 8:16:34 PM   
mdsmall

Hubert - giving examples is really helpful. Even though I had read that section of the Manual several times, I had it in my head that naval units have to return to a base in order to resupply. Instead, you are treating naval sources of supply in a similar way to land sources of supply i.e. that supply projects out on a diminishing basis with distance from naval a base. So, disregard my early query about whether you would change this in a future update.

Regarding my original questions about reducing naval supply for German subs, in my current game I have started to use BBs to shell distant Axis naval bases (e.g Vigo) and then I keep two Allied ships beside the base, once it reaches zero. When I play my turn, I see the Axis base remains at zero supply. But is this the case for the Axis player too? Or does his base move up to 1 at the beginning of his turn (allowing him to resupply at a low level) and then drops to zero again at the end of his turn, due to the presence of two enemy ships?

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 6
RE: Reducing naval resupply - 11/22/2020 6:58:03 PM   
Hubert Cater

I did forget about this other way to reduce a resource to 0 strength, and I believe you are right, if you do it this way it should stay at zero even for their turn.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Reducing naval resupply Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI