Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Curacao Crisis, 2021 (Submitted)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> The Curacao Crisis, 2021 (Submitted) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Curacao Crisis, 2021 (Submitted) - 11/18/2020 12:08:49 AM   
BeirutDude

Updated version 12/9/2020 below...

The Mudero Government seizes the Netherlands Island of Curacao. The Organization of American States, led by the U.S., UK and Netherlands respond.

Realistically this isn't a balanced scenario, the OAS/Player side is going to win, the challenge is the use of some units that normally do not make it into scenarios such as the F-16CJ Block 52, EC-130H Compass Call and also strategically staging your forces from the CONUS to forward bases in the Caribbean. It is a Cargo Mission scenario. Do I think it is an accurate representation of what the US, UK and Netherlands could do to Venezuela, NO. I tried that in the first version and essentially destroyed the Venezuelan military within an hour. I had to take out JASSM D-EMPs, JDAM D-EMP, LRSAMs, about 3/4 of the B-1Bs, B-2As and B-52H's from the original and even at that Venezuela is overmatched. So why didn't I just use the UK and Netherlands, I considered it, but there are already two scenarios like that. Honestly as the Dominican Republic, Operation Urgent Fury (Grenada) and Operation Just Cause (Panama) make manifestly clear there isn't much that can happen in the Caribbean Basin that he U.S. can't quickly dominate.

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 3/5/2021 11:09:05 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/19/2020 9:09:29 AM   
Blast33

Hi BeirutDude,

I played it, but due time-constraints I made it up to the landings. And I realy enjoyed it, tnx!

A few proposals:
-The Netherlands has also two unarmed MQ-9's (hard to defend, slow but useful for patrols).
-The amount of 30x F-35's is quite high (we now have 6..in the Netherlands and about the same amount in the US at Luke AFB) Maybe inocorporate a little US support with F-35's instead of all being Dutch? Or the UK's Queen Elisabeth with F-35B's? They have experience in conquering islands far away in 1982
-I needed more aircraft with Close Air Support loadouts than all the Air-to-Air loadouts of the F-35's.
-The two Walrus submarines can launch in real life Dutch Special Forces and that is a nice feature on the islands for laser guidance and forward observation? See picture.
-Maybe it is nice to put forward observers (twitter users?) at Juliana airfield (St Maarten Island) to warn Venuzuela of Fighter Jets taking of? Maybe at the hand of Venezuela you can incorporate that warning into air defense missions? Civilians that are pissed of of all the noise of the fighter aircraft or whatever
-There is no civilian traffic at sea or in the air. Easy but realistic?
-The Russians are really involved in this country, so maybe you can add a side Russia wich friends with Venezuela and gives intell data from maybe satellites or an AGI intelligence ship nearby?
Another option is to let the Russians fly the Su-35's because Venezuela would not be able to pay for those? Or some Tu-160's get involved when you shootdown Russians (they have been there before..)
-The Netherlans buying the K-1 is nice thinking (I like it) but maybe it is more realistic that the US or the UK or Norway will provide some P-8's?
-I also think that the US will always be close-by with sniffing planes or US Navy assets to see what is going on with such a conflict. (subs, patrol aircraft maybe a ship?)
-Please add commercial sattelites to both the Netherlands and Venezuela sides ;-)
-The side Venezuela is set to veteran. That is a bit high I think personally. They haven't fought a war only with durg trafficers or with words ;-)
-Is it possible to design that pilots eject and have to be rescued? That could involve some US support with HC-130 or HH-60's?

I haven't played much with landings so that is something I have to get a hold of.
Thanx for designing, looking forward to the final one.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blast33 -- 11/19/2020 9:13:11 AM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/19/2020 12:22:34 PM   
BeirutDude

Thanks for looking at the scenario, Let me address the Proposals one by one. Remember as a scenario designer, everything is a trade off so consider the trade offs and impacts of some of the changes as you read my replies.

quote:

-The Netherlands has also two unarmed MQ-9's (hard to defend, slow but useful for patrols).

I like it, will place them on Aruba.

quote:

-The amount of 30x F-35's is quite high (we now have 6..in the Netherlands and about the same amount in the US at Luke AFB) Maybe inocorporate a little US support with F-35's instead of all being Dutch? Or the UK's Queen Elisabeth with F-35B's? They have experience in conquering islands far away in 1982

This one has me a bit confused. The USMC VMF-211 (Wake Island "Avengers") is on the Queen Elizabeth, 6 F-35Bs (Leathernecks) are on Iwo Jima and an RAF Squadron (Dambusters) on QE. There actually aren't any Netherlands F-35Bs in the scenario at all. But the QE has 24 F-35Bs onboard (with 5 down for maint.) and Iwo Jima has 6 (2 down for maint.) all are U.S. or UK assets. So you have 23 F-35Bs available, but you choose their load outs, not me!

quote:

-I needed more aircraft with Close Air Support loadouts than all the Air-to-Air loadouts of the F-35's.

So I just looked at the QE and Iwo Jima Magazines and all of the Squadrons have about 2 loadouts for CAS per aircraft. They are carriers so there have to be some limits on loadouts. Otherwise there are aircraft at Homestead which can (should) be staged to San Juan/McCalla Field, Guantanamo Bay (with extra loadouts for them at both airfields). You have 8 F-16s (Multirole), 8 F-15Cs (Fighters) and 4 F-16CJs (SEAD) there. Then the B-52Hs/B-1Bs and B-2As have enough JASSM/JASSM-ER for one strike (all you can really get in with time constraints).Also the B-52H MALD/MALD-Js are really valuable for jamming and decoying.

quote:

-The two Walrus submarines can launch in real life Dutch Special Forces and that is a nice feature on the islands for laser guidance and forward observation? See picture.

Hmmmmm, I like this idea. can put them in as part of the Saba Amphibious Exercise. Will add one.

quote:

-Maybe it is nice to put forward observers (twitter users?) at Juliana airfield (St Maarten Island) to warn Venuzuela of Fighter Jets taking of? Maybe at the hand of Venezuela you can incorporate that warning into air defense missions? Civilians that are pissed of of all the noise of the fighter aircraft or whatever

The A/I (Venezuela) knows your coming and is ready for you. So don't see what that would add. I can include in the storyline though.

quote:

-There is no civilian traffic at sea or in the air. Easy but realistic?

So I had them in there for the initial version and the shipping in the Caribbean (not coastal) just cluttered the map and slooooooooooowed the performance waaaaaaaaaaay dooooooown for no real gain other than aesthetics So I left the coastal shipping and lost the deep water civilians. That said, I might add a few ships back in for aesthetics.

quote:

-The Russians are really involved in this country, so maybe you can add a side Russia wich friends with Venezuela and gives intell data from maybe satellites or an AGI intelligence ship nearby?

Russia is in the scenario, you just didn't encounter them in your run with favorable teleporting. That said, I like the AGI idea and will add one off Venezuela. Maybe even another surface unit on a "Port Call" in Cuba as a Tattle Tail on the QE SAG or Churchill (An ASuW [Naval] mission for it should accomplish that)? As to direct Russian action, like with Libya in the 1980s, I just see them providing support not any direct intervention (unless something unfortunate happens).

quote:

Another option is to let the Russians fly the Su-35's because Venezuela would not be able to pay for those? Or some Tu-160's get involved when you shootdown Russians (they have been there before..)

See above on direct Russian intervention. Unless the current Russian units are sunk, they're not getting involved. (No they are not advertised in the briefing for surprise reasons)

quote:

-The Netherlans buying the K-1 is nice thinking (I like it) but maybe it is more realistic that the US or the UK or Norway will provide some P-8's?

K-1? USN has four (4) P-8s at NAS Jacksonville, and I .

quote:

-I also think that the US will always be close-by with sniffing planes or US Navy assets to see what is going on with such a conflict. (subs, patrol aircraft maybe a ship?)

There is a USCG Cutter off Aruba, and a LCS off Bonaire, E-8s, E-3Gs and RC-135W Rivet Joint are all at the CONUS bases and EH-130J Compass Calls in Homestead AFB as well.

-Please add commercial sattelites to both the Netherlands and Venezuela sides ;-)

Performance!!!!! Satellites slow things down if you add too many. I also don't believe Russian-Venezuelan Cooperation is so close that the Venezuelans would get real time satellite intel from the Russians.

quote:

-The side Venezuela is set to veteran. That is a bit high I think personally. They haven't fought a war only with durg trafficers or with words ;-)

NEGATIVE Venezuela is set to Normal (I just checked to be sure).

quote:

-Is it possible to design that pilots eject and have to be rescued? That could involve some US support with HC-130 or HH-60's?

It is but that involves Lua Scripting that is waaaaaaay beyond my humble skills! That is for the better designers!

Thanks will add some of these proposals for the next version!

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 11/19/2020 12:46:40 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Blast33)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/19/2020 11:24:01 PM   
BeirutDude

Updates with a new variant scenario below...

Changes for this version (attached)...

1. Added Netherlands Walrus Class submarine (no Cargo option for it so sorry no SoF onboard)
2. 2x MQ-9B at Sint Eustatius/Saint Eustace (there for exercise)
3. No 322 RNLAF Squadron Det. Sint Maarten (there for exercise) 8x F-16BM Falcon MLU
4. 2x DKC-10 Sint Maarten (there for exercise)
5. Russian SSV near Venezuela
6. Russian MPK near Santiago de Cuba

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 11/21/2020 1:08:41 PM >

(in reply to Blast33)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/20/2020 9:07:24 PM   
tylerblakebrandon

If you wanted to keep US forces out to prevent overkill but still feel more force is needed, why not add some French units as they are a NATO member who also has Caribbean territories?

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/20/2020 9:43:36 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: tylerblakebrandon

If you wanted to keep US forces out to prevent overkill but still feel more force is needed, why not add some French units as they are a NATO member who also has Caribbean territories?

That was something I had originally considered. I just felt there was little chance the U.S. Wouldn't get involved in a situation with Venezuela where they seized an island and I wanted to explore a modern day Grenada/"Urgent Fury" type operation.

That said, there is absolutely no reason not to take the current scenario and substitute French forces for U.S Forces and create a second version. So one with U.S. and one with French. The rational for The U.S. lack of involvement could be the new Biden Administration was reluctant to get involved in a "colonial matter."

(in reply to tylerblakebrandon)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/21/2020 1:11:15 PM   
BeirutDude

Further updates below...

quote:

That said, there is absolutely no reason not to take the current scenario and substitute French forces for U.S Forces and create a second version. So one with U.S. and one with French. The rational for The U.S. lack of involvement could be the new Biden Administration was reluctant to get involved in a "colonial matter."

So my 60th Birthday present to CMO, the original US-UK-Netherlands version (with a few spelling errors cleaned up and scoring adjustment) and a new French-UK-Netherlands version. Enjoy.

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 11/26/2020 12:32:30 AM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/21/2020 5:22:41 PM   
BeirutDude

If your vessels start moving toward port and you can't control them go into Side Doctrine and make this change. I have already done so for next version. It a side effect of giving them a port to return to. I need to adjust some later.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/21/2020 6:24:22 PM   
Parel803

Sounds nice. Gonna try it as soon as time permits.
Thank you for the scenario.
with regards GJ

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/24/2020 11:04:31 AM   
Selchu

So this was a fun wee scenario.
Only issues I have found where aircraft having some trouble with the exclusion zones and navigating around them but apart from that it seems fairly solid.

The Russians added a nice wee twist and caused some annoyance.

So a quick rundown on what I did.
Firstly I moved the QE SAG down towards Venezuela with ASW and AEW patrols going out as soon as practical. The fighters were loaded with a mix, the Brits had AAW and the USMC unit had bombs loaded.
In CONUS all aircraft were loaded with weapons and then given a ferry mission to fly to McCAlla airfield where all my flight ops were based from. This included the C17s (Only do this if you are willing to reload all the troops on board for their paradrop).
I sent the Churchill down towards the island ahead of everyone else. The USCGC Valiant was ordered to make best speed for Gitmo. It had no weapons and wasn't going to be much use to me. The LCS Milwakee was kept in the area but without radar on. My intent was that she would engage the enemy patrol boats.
The Russian frigate joined my SAG as an unwelcome guest and stuck with my ships. Then it was just a waiting game.
At some point something his the exclusion zone and triggered the fight. This caused the Russian frigate to attack and some ships were damaged and started to try and RTB. I spent an age trying to figure out what was going on and then after a PM to Beirutdude the problem was solved. In game though it was a mess with the ships having changed location so I went back to my previous save which was about 1 hour before in game time, fixed the side doctrine and carried on. Of course nothing hit the zone and hostilities didn't start.
Things continued moving and when the bombers were ready to launch there were sent to a forward holding point and once all assembled I had them attack known enemy positions on the island, every radar that was within range and also all the runway access points I could find.
My AAW patrols were moved closer now with support from the compass call aircraft and tankers and the Milwakee proved pretty useless, only damaging a PC before she got sunk.
The russian frigate decided to join in and opened fire on my SAG. They didn't last long but not before they managed to disable DDG The Sullivans. 5% damage but with engines out she was immovable. Her Tomahawks were added to the missles that were hitting airfields and air defense. Sent the Valiant to assist her (This just seemed like a nice thing to do although I will admit to being disappointed that they couldn't fix even 1 engine to limp home. Pity there's no way to tow )
The F35s with bombs were used to sink the Venezuelan FFG and some PCs.
Air combat followed and some losses were had but pretty much Venezuela's air force ceased to exist or wisely went to the pub instead of coming up to fight.
The Churchill was moved into towards the island where it was used to take out the last 2 PC boats, some land fortifications and also enemy aircraft. It was moved to the south side of the island where it stayed as a guard in case anymore aircraft came up.
The C17s and every other aircraft carrying troops were launched and a Russian submarine disappeared (with the help of 1 of my Poseidons)
The LC from the west had trouble with my cargo mission but didn't matter in the end.
Some aircraft were lost due to ground fire but the island was taken in short order and from there I just ran down the clock.
Good wee scenario. Haven't tried the French version yet. Might have a look later.

SIDE: Venezuela
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x AB.212 ASW
6x AT-27 Tucano [EMB-312]
7x F-16A Falcon
1x Mohajer-3 [Sant Arpia]
11x Su-30MK2 Flanker G
2x Ammo Revetment
5x Building (Small with Observer)
2x Radar (Chair Back B [9S36])
3x Radar (China JY-11B)
1x Radar (China JY-14 Great Wall)
3x Radar (China JYL-1)
2x Radar (China Type 352 Square Tie)
1x Radar (Giraffe 75)
1x Radar (Snow Drift [9S18M1])
12x 105mm/22 M101 Towed Howitzer [Cargo]
6x 152mm/48 2S19 MSTA-S [Cargo]
6x 155mm/39 M114 Mod Towed Howitzer [Cargo]
12x C-802 Triple [Cargo]
4x SA-17 Grizzly [9A310M1-2] TELAR [Cargo]
2x SA-17 Grizzly [9A39M1-2] LLV [Cargo]
27x SA-24 Grinch [9K338 Igla-S] MANPADS [Cargo]
3x Vehicle (China Type 352 Square Tie) [Cargo]
48x VN-1 IFV [Cargo]
16x VN-16 [ZTD 05] Amphibious Tank [Cargo]
1x F 21 Mariscal Sucre [Lupo]
1x GC 21 Guaicamacuto [Avante 1400]
2x PC 11 Constitucion
1x PC 21 Guaiqueri [Avante 2200 Combatant]
1x PG 51 Pagalo [Stan Patrol 2606]
1x PG 61 Fernando Gomez De Saa [Stan Patrol 4207]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
1x AA-10 Alamo A [R-27R1, MR TSARH]
120x 76mm/62 Super Rapido HE Burst [2 rnds]
30x AA-12 Adder A [R-77, RVV-AE]
8x Otomat Mk2 Mod I
8x YJ-83 [C-802A, CSS-N-8 Saccade]
136x 76mm/62 Compact HE Burst [4 rnds]
89x 35mm/79 Oerlikon Millennium GDM-008 AHEAD Burst [24 rnds]
11x Chimera Chaff/Flare Seduction Round
150x 12.7mm/50 MG Burst [10 rnds]
2x Aspide
12x 127mm/54 OTO Melara Compact HECVT
22x 40mm/70 Twin Breda Compact Burst [32 rnds]
5x AA-11 Archer [R-73M1]
14x Generic Chaff Salvo [4x Cartridges]
9x SA-3c Goa [5V27DE]
6x 30mm Gsh-30-1 Burst [30 rnds]
90x SA-24 Grinch [9M342]

SIDE: Org of American States

LOSSES:
2x AH-1Z Viper [Super Cobra]
2x F-15C Eagle
3x F-16C Blk 32 Falcon
1x F-16CJ Blk 52 Falcon
2x F-35B Lightning II
1x Merlin HM.2
3x MH-60R Seahawk
2x MQ-9B Reaper UAV
4x MV-22B Osprey
1x NH90 NFH
18x Infantry Section [7.62mm MG/Unguided Infantry Anti Tank Weapon] [Cargo]
1x LCS 1 Freedom

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
129x SSQ-963D CAMBS VI
153x SSQ-926 ALFEA
26x AN/SSQ-53E DIFAR
202x AN/SSQ-53F DIFAR
31x AN/SSQ-62D DICASS
166x AN/SSQ-62E DICASS
151x AN/SSQ-77B VLAD
24x ADM-160C MALD-J [Stand-In OECM]
128x AGM-158B JASSM-ER
48x AGM-158A JASSM [Penetrator]
16x RIM-116C RAM Blk II
4x Aster 15 PAAMS [GWS.45 Sea Viper]
2x Aster 30 PAAMS [GWS.45 Sea Viper]
1x AIM-120C-7 AMRAAM P3I.3
9x AIM-120D AMRAAM P3I.4
13x 20mm/100 Mk15 Phalanx Blk 1B Burst [300 rnds]
4x 30mm Goalkeeper Burst [240 rnds]
4x Sea Ceptor [CAMM(M)]
3x RIM-162A ESSM
34x 114mm/55 Mk8 HE(MP)ER HE
3x RIM-162B ESSM
11x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
64x 30mm/75 DS30M Mk3 HE Burst [20 rnds]
64x 30mm/75 DS30B Mk1 HE Burst [20 rnds]
10x 12.7mm/50 MG Burst [10 rnds]
20x 127mm/54 HE-CVT [HiFrag]
2x 57mm/70 Bofors Mk3 GP Burst [4 rnds]
8x RGM-114L Hellfire II
3x Mk214 Sea Gnat Chaff [Seduction]
62x GBU-12D/B Paveway II LGB [Mk82]
2x AGM-88C HARM
3x AIM-120C AMRAAM P3I.1
110x RGM-109E Tomahawk Blk IV TACTOM
14x RIM-174A ERAM SM-6 Blk IA
2x Generic Chaff Salvo [8x Cartridges]
64x GBU-53/B SDB-II
162x 127mm/62 Mk187 HE-MFF [Mk64 HiCap Body, Mk419 Fuse]
52x GBU-39/B SDB
100x 127mm/62 Mk186 HE-MOFN [Mk64 HiCap Body, Mk437 Fuse]
15x AGM-114K Hellfire II
78x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Dual Spectral]
38x HYDRA 70mm Rocket
5x AIM-120B AMRAAM
12x High Explosives [C-4]
18x FGM-148 Javelin
2600x Generic Unguided Anti Tank Weapon
4455x 7.62mm MG Burst [20 rnds]
5x Milan 2
240x 81mm HE Mortar
2x Mk50 Barracuda Mod 0 ALWT

SIDE: Curacao Civilian Infrastructure

LOSSES:
1x Structure (Port Crane)

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Biologics

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Coastal Vessels

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Russia

LOSSES:
1x Ka-27M Helix A
1x MPK Soobrazitelny [Pr.2038.1, Mod Steregushchy]
1x PLA-671RTMK Victor III [Shchuka]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
11x SA-N-21c Growler [9M96]
6x SS-N-25 Switchblade [Kh-35 Uran] GLONASS
10x AK-630M 30mm/65 Gatling Burst [400 rnds]
30x 14.5mm MG Burst [20 rnds]
54x 100mm/59 A-190 HE
4x 100mm/59 A-190 Frag
3x Generic Acoustic Decoy

END SCORE: Triumph 9478

< Message edited by Selchu -- 11/24/2020 11:10:31 AM >

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/24/2020 11:42:33 PM   
Gunner98

Looks like a very interesting scenario.

Before I dive in a couple thoughts.

-there are Wildcat HMA.2 on the two RFA ships, but no munitions and no real cargo capacity. Perhaps a Merlin HC.4 on one of them and give one of the Type 45s a couple Wildcats with some Martlet ASuW missiles

-as far as I can tell the RFAs have no role in the scenario beyond the Tideforce (typo in name) being the best looking oiler afloat. Perhaps they need a mission or something otherwise the player won't bring them into the danger zone. Off hand I could think they would be useful in a NEO for Brit or Dutch citizens in the islands. They could have boats (as can the type 45s) for SOF insertion perhaps.

-its interesting that from the east you have a bunch of high value units and the heaviest protection is a Dutch OPV with a 76mm Oto Melara. This is a good problem, and realistic. I did have a though that you built a companion scenario for inclusion of the French so perhaps having a French OPV patrolling near Martinique would give a bit more firepower but another time/distance problem

-the USCGV Valiant is in a very vulnerable position and as one of the testers above mentioned, a player will likely send it to safe waters as quickly as possible. However, it is a valuable surveillance platform and early on one of the only assets with eyes on the problem area. There may be a way to convince the player to keep it in the area a while to increase tension a bit.

OK, I'm going in. This looks good.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to Selchu)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/25/2020 1:54:00 AM   
Gunner98

OK, 10 hours in and getting setup.

Tankers and wide body ISTAR are now based out of Jamaica, the last of the US Ftrs are sorting themselves out in PR, they'll be another 6 hrs getting ready again. The heavy firepower stateside will take anther 10-11 hrs and probably 3 hrs of flying to get into position.

Want to try and set it up so I can hit all the ships, radars and runways simultaneously within a few min of violating the exclusion zone. Need to work out the plan for that yet.

Leading that Russian FF on a merry chase - won't be able to run him out of fuel but those Diesels will never keep up to my Gas Turbines. If hostilities pop up the Switchblades are my only concern since my 5" gun outranges him. The HVUs are well and clear thank goodness.

When this lights up its going to be hectic...

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 12
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/25/2020 1:57:49 AM   
magi

happy birthday and thanks for all the fish......

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 13
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/25/2020 11:34:43 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

OK, 10 hours in and getting setup.

Tankers and wide body ISTAR are now based out of Jamaica, the last of the US Ftrs are sorting themselves out in PR, they'll be another 6 hrs getting ready again. The heavy firepower stateside will take anther 10-11 hrs and probably 3 hrs of flying to get into position.

Want to try and set it up so I can hit all the ships, radars and runways simultaneously within a few min of violating the exclusion zone. Need to work out the plan for that yet.

Leading that Russian FF on a merry chase - won't be able to run him out of fuel but those Diesels will never keep up to my Gas Turbines. If hostilities pop up the Switchblades are my only concern since my 5" gun outranges him. The HVUs are well and clear thank goodness.

When this lights up its going to be hectic...

Glad you're enjoying it! I really just included the oilers for completeness. The tanker normally accompanies QE when she visits Mayport. As far as the Valiant and Milwaukee are concerned, I think the U.S. would get them out of there just before hostilities, so I think that is the way to use them. I use the Milwaukee's radars up until about six hours before H Hour. Should have seen it when the USAF had D-EMP JASSMs and JDAMs with double the B-52Hs, B-1Bs and B-2As! It was over in an hour.

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 11/25/2020 11:35:25 PM >

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 14
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/25/2020 11:35:57 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: magi

happy birthday and thanks for all the fish......

Thank you

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 15
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/25/2020 11:42:56 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Selchu

So this was a fun wee scenario.
Only issues I have found where aircraft having some trouble with the exclusion zones and navigating around them but apart from that it seems fairly solid.

The Russians added a nice wee twist and caused some annoyance.

So a quick rundown on what I did.
Firstly I moved the QE SAG down towards Venezuela with ASW and AEW patrols going out as soon as practical. The fighters were loaded with a mix, the Brits had AAW and the USMC unit had bombs loaded.
In CONUS all aircraft were loaded with weapons and then given a ferry mission to fly to McCAlla airfield where all my flight ops were based from. This included the C17s (Only do this if you are willing to reload all the troops on board for their paradrop).
I sent the Churchill down towards the island ahead of everyone else. The USCGC Valiant was ordered to make best speed for Gitmo. It had no weapons and wasn't going to be much use to me. The LCS Milwakee was kept in the area but without radar on. My intent was that she would engage the enemy patrol boats.
The Russian frigate joined my SAG as an unwelcome guest and stuck with my ships. Then it was just a waiting game.
At some point something his the exclusion zone and triggered the fight. This caused the Russian frigate to attack and some ships were damaged and started to try and RTB. I spent an age trying to figure out what was going on and then after a PM to Beirutdude the problem was solved. In game though it was a mess with the ships having changed location so I went back to my previous save which was about 1 hour before in game time, fixed the side doctrine and carried on. Of course nothing hit the zone and hostilities didn't start.
Things continued moving and when the bombers were ready to launch there were sent to a forward holding point and once all assembled I had them attack known enemy positions on the island, every radar that was within range and also all the runway access points I could find.
My AAW patrols were moved closer now with support from the compass call aircraft and tankers and the Milwakee proved pretty useless, only damaging a PC before she got sunk.
The russian frigate decided to join in and opened fire on my SAG. They didn't last long but not before they managed to disable DDG The Sullivans. 5% damage but with engines out she was immovable. Her Tomahawks were added to the missles that were hitting airfields and air defense. Sent the Valiant to assist her (This just seemed like a nice thing to do although I will admit to being disappointed that they couldn't fix even 1 engine to limp home. Pity there's no way to tow )
The F35s with bombs were used to sink the Venezuelan FFG and some PCs.
Air combat followed and some losses were had but pretty much Venezuela's air force ceased to exist or wisely went to the pub instead of coming up to fight.
The Churchill was moved into towards the island where it was used to take out the last 2 PC boats, some land fortifications and also enemy aircraft. It was moved to the south side of the island where it stayed as a guard in case anymore aircraft came up.
The C17s and every other aircraft carrying troops were launched and a Russian submarine disappeared (with the help of 1 of my Poseidons)
The LC from the west had trouble with my cargo mission but didn't matter in the end.
Some aircraft were lost due to ground fire but the island was taken in short order and from there I just ran down the clock.
Good wee scenario. Haven't tried the French version yet. Might have a look later.

SIDE: Venezuela

LOSSES:
1x AB.212 ASW
6x AT-27 Tucano [EMB-312]
7x F-16A Falcon
1x Mohajer-3 [Sant Arpia]
11x Su-30MK2 Flanker G
2x Ammo Revetment
5x Building (Small with Observer)
2x Radar (Chair Back B [9S36])
3x Radar (China JY-11B)
1x Radar (China JY-14 Great Wall)
3x Radar (China JYL-1)
2x Radar (China Type 352 Square Tie)
1x Radar (Giraffe 75)
1x Radar (Snow Drift [9S18M1])
12x 105mm/22 M101 Towed Howitzer [Cargo]
6x 152mm/48 2S19 MSTA-S [Cargo]
6x 155mm/39 M114 Mod Towed Howitzer [Cargo]
12x C-802 Triple [Cargo]
4x SA-17 Grizzly [9A310M1-2] TELAR [Cargo]
2x SA-17 Grizzly [9A39M1-2] LLV [Cargo]
27x SA-24 Grinch [9K338 Igla-S] MANPADS [Cargo]
3x Vehicle (China Type 352 Square Tie) [Cargo]
48x VN-1 IFV [Cargo]
16x VN-16 [ZTD 05] Amphibious Tank [Cargo]
1x F 21 Mariscal Sucre [Lupo]
1x GC 21 Guaicamacuto [Avante 1400]
2x PC 11 Constitucion
1x PC 21 Guaiqueri [Avante 2200 Combatant]
1x PG 51 Pagalo [Stan Patrol 2606]
1x PG 61 Fernando Gomez De Saa [Stan Patrol 4207]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
1x AA-10 Alamo A [R-27R1, MR TSARH]
120x 76mm/62 Super Rapido HE Burst [2 rnds]
30x AA-12 Adder A [R-77, RVV-AE]
8x Otomat Mk2 Mod I
8x YJ-83 [C-802A, CSS-N-8 Saccade]
136x 76mm/62 Compact HE Burst [4 rnds]
89x 35mm/79 Oerlikon Millennium GDM-008 AHEAD Burst [24 rnds]
11x Chimera Chaff/Flare Seduction Round
150x 12.7mm/50 MG Burst [10 rnds]
2x Aspide
12x 127mm/54 OTO Melara Compact HECVT
22x 40mm/70 Twin Breda Compact Burst [32 rnds]
5x AA-11 Archer [R-73M1]
14x Generic Chaff Salvo [4x Cartridges]
9x SA-3c Goa [5V27DE]
6x 30mm Gsh-30-1 Burst [30 rnds]
90x SA-24 Grinch [9M342]

SIDE: Org of American States

LOSSES:
2x AH-1Z Viper [Super Cobra]
2x F-15C Eagle
3x F-16C Blk 32 Falcon
1x F-16CJ Blk 52 Falcon
2x F-35B Lightning II
1x Merlin HM.2
3x MH-60R Seahawk
2x MQ-9B Reaper UAV
4x MV-22B Osprey
1x NH90 NFH
18x Infantry Section [7.62mm MG/Unguided Infantry Anti Tank Weapon] [Cargo]
1x LCS 1 Freedom

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
129x SSQ-963D CAMBS VI
153x SSQ-926 ALFEA
26x AN/SSQ-53E DIFAR
202x AN/SSQ-53F DIFAR
31x AN/SSQ-62D DICASS
166x AN/SSQ-62E DICASS
151x AN/SSQ-77B VLAD
24x ADM-160C MALD-J [Stand-In OECM]
128x AGM-158B JASSM-ER
48x AGM-158A JASSM [Penetrator]
16x RIM-116C RAM Blk II
4x Aster 15 PAAMS [GWS.45 Sea Viper]
2x Aster 30 PAAMS [GWS.45 Sea Viper]
1x AIM-120C-7 AMRAAM P3I.3
9x AIM-120D AMRAAM P3I.4
13x 20mm/100 Mk15 Phalanx Blk 1B Burst [300 rnds]
4x 30mm Goalkeeper Burst [240 rnds]
4x Sea Ceptor [CAMM(M)]
3x RIM-162A ESSM
34x 114mm/55 Mk8 HE(MP)ER HE
3x RIM-162B ESSM
11x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
64x 30mm/75 DS30M Mk3 HE Burst [20 rnds]
64x 30mm/75 DS30B Mk1 HE Burst [20 rnds]
10x 12.7mm/50 MG Burst [10 rnds]
20x 127mm/54 HE-CVT [HiFrag]
2x 57mm/70 Bofors Mk3 GP Burst [4 rnds]
8x RGM-114L Hellfire II
3x Mk214 Sea Gnat Chaff [Seduction]
62x GBU-12D/B Paveway II LGB [Mk82]
2x AGM-88C HARM
3x AIM-120C AMRAAM P3I.1
110x RGM-109E Tomahawk Blk IV TACTOM
14x RIM-174A ERAM SM-6 Blk IA
2x Generic Chaff Salvo [8x Cartridges]
64x GBU-53/B SDB-II
162x 127mm/62 Mk187 HE-MFF [Mk64 HiCap Body, Mk419 Fuse]
52x GBU-39/B SDB
100x 127mm/62 Mk186 HE-MOFN [Mk64 HiCap Body, Mk437 Fuse]
15x AGM-114K Hellfire II
78x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Dual Spectral]
38x HYDRA 70mm Rocket
5x AIM-120B AMRAAM
12x High Explosives [C-4]
18x FGM-148 Javelin
2600x Generic Unguided Anti Tank Weapon
4455x 7.62mm MG Burst [20 rnds]
5x Milan 2
240x 81mm HE Mortar
2x Mk50 Barracuda Mod 0 ALWT

SIDE: Curacao Civilian Infrastructure

LOSSES:
1x Structure (Port Crane)

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Biologics

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Coastal Vessels

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Russia

LOSSES:
1x Ka-27M Helix A
1x MPK Soobrazitelny [Pr.2038.1, Mod Steregushchy]
1x PLA-671RTMK Victor III [Shchuka]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
11x SA-N-21c Growler [9M96]
6x SS-N-25 Switchblade [Kh-35 Uran] GLONASS
10x AK-630M 30mm/65 Gatling Burst [400 rnds]
30x 14.5mm MG Burst [20 rnds]
54x 100mm/59 A-190 HE
4x 100mm/59 A-190 Frag
3x Generic Acoustic Decoy

END SCORE: Triumph 9478

Thank you for the write up! Nice review. I did already fix the RTB for the ships. It is an issue if you assign them a port, otherwise they ignore the issues. As to the Russians jumping in, I wonder if assigning them Neutral with Venezuela might prevent that?

(in reply to Selchu)
Post #: 16
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/26/2020 12:28:29 AM   
Selchu

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

Thank you for the write up! Nice review. I did already fix the RTB for the ships. It is an issue if you assign them a port, otherwise they ignore the issues. As to the Russians jumping in, I wonder if assigning them Neutral with Venezuela might prevent that?

Welcome. It was a good wee op. I liked the co-ordination and the planning phase and the action was class as well. Gonna play it again soon to see if i can do things different.
You sorted the ship RTB thing our right after I told you and that was class.
As for the Russians it depends what the story is for them......The EAM after I sunk the sub was nice.
Not sure on what happens if you make them neutral if I'm honest but ultimately it's class and highly recommended.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 17
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/26/2020 12:31:14 AM   
BeirutDude

Thanks Gunner and Selchu!

Changes for this version (more updated version below)...

1. RFA "Tidefirce" has been renamed RFA Tideforce (with a proper renaming ceremony to please Neptune!)
2. Tideforce now has an HC.4 on her, may totally remove the Replenishment SAG at a future date.
3. HMS Kent now has Wildcats with Sea Venom and Martlet ASuW missiles
4. Russia has had "Collective Responsibility" turned off
4. Postures for Venezuela and Russia are now "Neutral" which will, hopefully, keep Russia from jumping in to quickly.

Left USCGC Valiant in position as I really believe the U.S. would keep her there as a tripwire to keep Mudero from doing anything in Aruba and would scoot her out of the area just before hostilities. There is no shame in running her out of the area.

As to the Replenishment Group, If I had thought it through earlier I would have run the QE CSG around until they were near 50% fuel so the Replenishment Group really had a mission, then built the rest of the scenario. Next time! Too bad we can't edit ship fuel!

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 11/26/2020 12:51:55 PM >

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 18
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/26/2020 1:54:32 AM   
magi

just started late last night.... im playing with french involvement.... the only thing i question right now... is the dixmude has 16 nh90 nfh for asw role... that seams a bunch... and no attack chopers... i might swapa few out....

< Message edited by magi -- 11/26/2020 1:59:36 AM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 19
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/26/2020 2:06:14 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

Too bad we can't edit ship fuel!

You can. Its a simple lua script that you run in the consul, I'll look it up and send your way.

B

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 20
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/26/2020 12:43:29 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

is the dixmude has 16 nh90 nfh for asw role... that seams a bunch... and no attack chopers... i might swapa few out....

Oops, meant to put in French Army Super Pumas for troop transport, I was tired that night! Fixed and readied them for a cargo mission.

Added four (4) EC.665 Tigre's to Dixmude

More updated version below

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 11/29/2020 4:00:55 PM >

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 21
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/26/2020 12:53:23 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

You can. Its a simple lua script that you run in the consul, I'll look it up and send your way.

Thank you!

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 22
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/26/2020 4:32:09 PM   
Gunner98

Not sure how much Lua you’ve done and remember I’m an old dog as well – happy birthday btw.

You should have a text editor, I use Notepad++. Its free and makes things a bit easier. I keep a separate file with all the lua script for each of my scenarios. At least I lose them in an organized sort of way…

This site really helps: Lua Docs

First thing you need to do is identify the unit: Select the unit, right click/scenario editor/copy unit ID to clipboard. (you can do the same with Ctl+C)

Paste this value into your text editor, you have the name and the GUID. You only need one of them so use the GUID as it is guaranteed to be unique.

{name='HMS Northumberland (F238)', guid='XMJRWB-0HM45FODO2HGL'}

Next make your script

Local u = ScenEdit_GetUnit({guid='XMJRWB-0HM45FODO2HGL'})

So this identifies the unit you want to modify, the local bit is to make sure this function doesn’t linger in the memory of the game file (I think…)

Local fuel = u.fuel

This makes a value for the fuel you’re going to modify. Each fuel type has a code and unhelpfully I cannot find the table anymore but it is in one of the threads in Lua Legion:

So we know that HMS Northumberland uses Diesel so that is 3001, and her max is 800 tons so lets cut that in half (need to experiment to get the values right:

Fuel[3001].current = 400000

Then we apply the fuel to the unit:

u.fuel = fuel

Open up your Lua Console in game add the script and hit run

local u = ScenEdit_GetUnit({guid='XMJRWB-0HM45FODO2HGL'})
local fuel = u.fuel
fuel[3001].current = 400000
u.fuel = fuel

Change up the GUID, fuel type and level as you need to get all your ships.

B

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 23
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/27/2020 3:04:33 AM   
Gunner98

OK first bomb wave is done, TLAMs mostly gone. Landing about to launch, still some MANPADS popping up on the island which is worrying so helo sweep at long range coming in along with first dudes to mark the beach. AB Bde is enroute so need to get rid of the MANPADS.

Venezuela no longer providing any opposition but I still haven't found their SSK, well re-found it. I had it for a while before hostilities but it got away on me. The Russian SSN made short work of the LCS and CGC but a P-8 sitting overtop of them sorted him out in short order. The Russian FFG was pummeled to death and the SSV was swept up in the P-8 Harpoon strike.

Fun game

B

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 24
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/27/2020 4:04:19 AM   
magi

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

quote:

is the dixmude has 16 nh90 nfh for asw role... that seams a bunch... and no attack chopers... i might swapa few out....

Oops, meant to put in French Army Super Pumas for troop transport, I was tired that night! Fixed and readied them for a cargo mission.

Added four (4) EC.665 Tigre's to Dixmude

11-26-2020 correction attached. Both included but changes are only to the UK-French Intervention Scenario

i put 6 on.... i think..... we good....

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 25
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/27/2020 4:08:25 AM   
magi

geezzz.... when you dont play american... you sure miss a bunch of the cool toys.... like arm and oecm just to name a couple....

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 26
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/27/2020 1:17:52 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

miss a bunch of the cool toys

So true.

May want to consider the intervention in Libya were after the initial strikes the US backed off for various reasons and let other NATO partners conduct the kinetic strikes while it supported with ISTAR, OECM etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_military_intervention_in_Libya

Perhaps in the French version some of the wide body US support assets could be available.

BTW, I have never used a B-2 in the SEAD role before! By the time one of them got into the fight the only threat left was an SA-23 in a particularly annoying spot. So while distracting it with HARMs & TLAMs I dropped 8x GBU-28 Deep Throats onto it... seemed to work

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 27
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/27/2020 1:28:39 PM   
schweggy

Whelp, I'm about 12 hours into this latest version. I hope to get all the way through it today. A couple of things I've noticed:
- If you prep the aircraft (F-16's and F-15's) at Homestead as "Ferry" to save a little time and ship them off to PR the HARM loadout is not available for the F-16CJ Blk 52 Falcons because there are no AIM-120's or Sidewinders of the proper variant there. (AIM 120C AMRAAM P31.1 and AIM-9M I think) I realize they can be readied at Homestead with that configuration but they won't be rearmed with anything in PR.
- The HNLMS Dolfijn does not seem to be able to make it to the operational area in time to be a contributing factor given where it starts, and its limitations.

If these are intended behaviors or configuration decisions, cool. Just wanted to point those out.

- schweggy -

Montani Semper Liberi - Mountaineers are always free

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 28
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/27/2020 1:45:56 PM   
BeirutDude

Gunner, TY! This looks to be well within my Lua skills. I admit to being able to take most of what others write and apply it, but I'm not writing new code!!!!!! I tried, it was a disaster!

I'll take a look at this this weekend.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 29
RE: Scenario for play test: The Curacao Crisis 11/17/20 - 11/27/2020 1:49:28 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

If you prep the aircraft (F-16's and F-15's) at Homestead as "Ferry" to save a little time and ship them off to PR the HARM loadout is not available for the F-16CJ Blk 52 Falcons because there are no AIM-120's or Sidewinders of the proper variant there. (AIM 120C AMRAAM P31.1 and AIM-9M I think) I realize they can be readied at Homestead with that configuration but they won't be rearmed with anything in PR.

I usually arm and then ferry them, but I'll add the loadouts in PR. PR was a late addition and the load outs are at McCalla, Guantanamo. No reason not to add one light of loadouts there as well.

quote:

. - The HNLMS Dolfijn does not seem to be able to make it to the operational area in time to be a contributing factor given where it starts, and its limitations.

Not intended. I had her of Saba for the Exercise, but it makes sense she would have sortied earlier. Will fix TY!

(in reply to schweggy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> The Curacao Crisis, 2021 (Submitted) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI