Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Support Scope

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Support Scope Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Support Scope - 11/16/2020 11:23:38 PM   
76mm

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but this site's search feature is such a disaster that I don't even bother any more. Anyway, I just want to clarify my understanding of Formation Support Scope. Here is the text from the manual:
Formation Support Scope
§ Internal Support: Units assigned to the Formation may only freely cooperate with others in the same Formation. Limited cooperation is possible with units using the same icon color scheme; no cooperation is possible with units using a different icon color scheme.
§ Army Support: Units assigned to the Formation may only freely cooperate with others in the same Formation, or those using the same icon color scheme (icon and symbol color). Limited cooperation is possible with units using the same icon background color; no cooperation is possible with units using a different basic icon color.
§ Force Support: Units assigned to the Formation may only freely cooperate with others in the same Formation or others using the same basic icon color. Limited cooperation is capable with all other units.
§ Free Support: Units assigned to the Formation
may freely cooperate with any other units.
For the units below, assuming that all units are in different formations:
--assuming Internal Support, Units A & B would have limited cooperation, correct?

--assuming Army Support, Units A & B would have free cooperation, correct?

--Assuming Army Support, Units B & D would have limited cooperation, correct? But D has a different "basic icon color" from B, which the last sentence re Army Support says results in no cooperation??

--Assuming Force Support, Units B & D would have free cooperation, B would have limited cooperation with C.

--What cooperation would C have with which units assuming Army Support? Force Support?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Support Scope - 11/19/2020 3:29:24 AM   
76mm

Wanted to bump this, still don't understand this. Let me try to rephase one question: for companies with Army support, to have limited cooperation only the icon symbol color can be different--correct? So in the image above, if A & D had Army support (and were in different formations), they'd have limited cooperation? And A & B would have free cooperation?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Support Scope - 11/19/2020 11:52:59 AM   
golden delicious

That's right.

Now for bonus points, explain exactly what the consequences of "Limited Co-operation" are compared to "Full Co-operation".

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 3
RE: Support Scope - 11/19/2020 12:42:56 PM   
76mm

ooh, ooh, I think I know this one:
Unit Cooperation
§ Free Cooperation: Units will coordinate Attacks and Defenses. Reserve and combat
support units will attempt to respond to all Attacks within range. Nearby Headquarters units will increase the likelihood of Resupply. This is shown with a gold-colored Flag icon in the Combat Planning window.
§ Limited Cooperation: Units will coordinate Attacks and Defenses, but with penalties. Reserve units will respond to all Attacks within range. Combat Support units will not respond to Attacks. This is shown with a steelcolored Flag icon in the Combat Planning window. This scales combat strengths by 83%.
§ No Cooperation: Units will not coordinate Attacks. Defense is coordinated, but with penalties. Reserve and Combat Support units will not respond to Attacks. This is shown with a black Flag icon in the Combat Planning window. This scales combat strengths by 67%.
But I do have one question: Let's say that there's a stack with a unit with Formation Support and a unit with Free Support. If they are attacked, I understand that the Free Support unit will not be penalized, but what about the one with Formation Support? Does the Free Support unit's freedom to cooperate mean that the Formation Support unit will not be penalized as well?

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 4
RE: Support Scope - 11/19/2020 1:02:11 PM   
Lobster

The manual is uses the same phrase to mean two different things.

Starting with the third post is a graphical example of support scope and the manual mistake:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4574206&mpage=1&key=cooperation�

< Message edited by Lobster -- 11/19/2020 1:05:16 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Wearing blinders and earplugs everything you do is correct.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 5
RE: Support Scope - 11/19/2020 1:31:06 PM   
76mm

Thanks much...that is the thread I was looking for... I still have another question, but will post it there.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Support Scope Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI